Can anyone identify this plant for me?!!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone help me to identify this plant? My co-worker has them growing in her yard. She tells me that her cousin said it was a “shady ladyâ€. I can not find anything on a “shady lady†on the internet, nor have the nurseries around here ever heard of that.

The next day, she took another photo as it had sprouted some little yellow flowers on it.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Nope that's not an azalea.
Looks like a species of bromeliad.
I think so too, but wouldn't have the first clue which one...
(btw, the flowering plant in the pic is poisonous- related to oleander, I believe

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It must be a southern perennial!! I can ask my sis if she has ever heard of this plant-its pretty however!! You should check out www.lsuagcenter.com for a list of parish offices someone should be able to provide you with more info on this plant.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a pic of a Shady Lady plant (sorry, I forgot to save the link
) but that wasn't it
. Shady Lady also came up on a lily ordering site, but couldn't find a pic...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't look like a bromeliad - the stem and leaves are too succulent looking. My first guess was that it is in the lily family, but not sure. Does it come back the same time each year? What happens to it after the flower dies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. I don't know what happens to it after the flower dies away? It's not my plant....it's in a coworker's yard. It must come back the same time each year, because I remember her telling me about it last year. The top part of the plant that is lavender in color....she says that is not a flower, it's the same as the green leaves directly below it....they just turn that color (sort of like a poinsettia).

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail.....thanks for the lsu ag center link. One of the nurseries I called suggested that to me as well.....I just never got around to it. I jotted down their phone number and will give them a call on Monday if no one here has been able to identify it by then.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

It must be a southern perennial!! I can ask my sis if she has ever heard of this plant-its pretty however!! You should check out www.lsuagcenter.com for a list of parish offices someone should be able to provide you with more info on this plant.
Not something I recognize from our side of the South. Might be native to LA, that soil they have there is pretty unique.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case anyone is interested, the plant in question is called Curcuma Petiolata.....or commonly known as hidden ginger. The call to the LSU Ag Center paid off. Thanks Gail!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every state should have a land grant college and and extension office associated with them. In Wisconsin is University of WI-Madison. The UW extension office (and websites) have a great deal of info not just hort related.
At least you have the mystry plant solved!!