Sweetie is grieving

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is grieving for her lost "toy". This is a approx. 5" piece of plastic twistie with a loop in it. This is comprised of little holes like a ladder, and about 1/4 wide. If you are familiar with plastic canvas used for crafts thats about what it looks like. She is always losing this thing, my daughter will come over and crawl around the floors looking under appliances, furniture etc. Sweetie will not accept any other similar piece of plastic. I've made her identical twisties frim plastic canvas, she sniffs at them and walks away.We have tried to give her other items similar to this lost item with no luck. She prowls the house and looks under everything. Its been lost for 3 days this time, and I see a change in her behavior. She is doing cat tearers through the house, running up and down stairs, clawing at the furniture, etc. I know someday we'll find this but where & when? I wish I could help her, I really feel so sorry for her. She's had this all winter, lost many times cuz she bats it & throws it up in the air, and loves it to death. What a memory she has. Have any of you had this similar experience & what finally appeased your baby?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's really interesting. She sounds devastated. I know they can get that way about those "special" toys.

Paisley has a particular attachment to orange fuzzy mice, with the rattling stuff inside of them. Silent mice are no good, other colors are no good, different sizes - no way. Thankfully she accepts new replicas with no problem.

Beandip has a shoe string. As much as it makes me nervous to let him have shoestring, he would be crushed if I got rid of it. I keep tying more knots in it to strenthen it. I put it away whenever I can get away with it. Mainly he just has to be able to find it when I pet him...he lays on it...that's all he wants it for.

This item of Sweetie's is not replaceable, I guess. Do you know what it was exactly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

That's really interesting. She sounds devastated. I know they can get that way about those "special" toys.

Paisley has a particular attachment to orange fuzzy mice, with the rattling stuff inside of them. Silent mice are no good, other colors are no good, different sizes - no way. Thankfully she accepts new replicas with no problem.

Beandip has a shoe string. As much as it makes me nervous to let him have shoestring, he would be crushed if I got rid of it. I keep tying more knots in it to strenthen it. I put it away whenever I can get away with it. Mainly he just has to be able to find it when I pet him...he lays on it...that's all he wants it for.

This item of Sweetie's is not replaceable, I guess. Do you know what it was exactly?
This came from a wallet that was attached to a purse. My daughter had it in her pocket when she was at my house and gave it to the cat. My daughter works at Kohl's and most likely thats where it came from. She looks at all the new purses to see if she can find another one. My other cat likes milk jug rings, but only yellow. No other color.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know a lady who has a cat that loves the twisties that come off a loaf of bread. She doesn't like him playing with them, but he will get on the fridge and get that twistie off all by himself.

another person I know has a kitten that has this little piece of orange rubbery plastic that broke off one of her kids toys. for some reason, this kitten loves this toy, and will aggravate the snot out of you if he loses it, cause he wants you to find it. they always find it, then he's happy til it's lost again.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could try rubbing catnip on a similar piece of plastic... that might help her develop some affection for the new toy and accept it more easily...?