Problem with Missy?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was giving her a belly rub a few minutes ago, and decided to check and see if she's got milk. I gently squeezed one nipple, and nothing, so I squeezed the one opposite of it (it's the biggest one at the bottom), when I squeezed, two tiny drops of blood came off. Now, her nipples are a bit dry so is that what caused the blood? If it might be a problem, I'll take her to the vet but I don't want to rush down there if it's just due to dry skin. What do you all think?

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wih some cats, you can squeeze a drop of milk from the nipples but with others, you can't, even though they have lots of milk.

The blood is a bit of a worry. Each nipple has two tiny openings, where the milk comes out as the kitten suckles. Because you saw two tiny drops of blood, I'm guessing it's coming from inside the nipple. That's not a good thing. You haven't been checking her nipples too often or squeezing too hard? I'd advise you to keep an eye on her, watch her teats for unusual swelling or heat - this could indicate mastitis. She would need to see a vet if that happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

You haven't been checking her nipples too often or squeezing too hard?
No, actually this is the first time I've done it. Everything else seems normal, and other than looking a little dry they look just fine. And where the blood came out, it wasn't at the top of the nipple, it was off to the side of it a bit that's why I thought maybe it was just the dry skin. I'll keep an eye on it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I would think that since there are two openings, they would be off to the side slightly, two seperate holes cannot both be in the same spot on top of the nipple.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Well I would think that since there are two openings, they would be off to the side slightly, two seperate holes cannot both be in the same spot on top of the nipple.
------------