wandering/dumping season again

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well it's that time of year again. the un-neutered cats are wandering around and howling and beating up my cats, spraying my porch furniture, and causing me lots of worry...constantly checking my cats for absesses etc...

please spare me the "inside only" cats speech, if my two could live indoors they would.

people just don't get it, EVEN IF YOU LIVE IN THE COUNTRY, you need to neuter your animals.

Arghhh!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in the country and struck a deal with my vet for low cost spay/neuters. When the strays/ferals arrive, I just get them speutered myself. I got tired after 1 year of placing kittens. It was cheaper for me to get them fixed than it was to care for all of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I live in the country and struck a deal with my vet for low cost spay/neuters. When the strays/ferals arrive, I just get them speutered myself. I got tired after 1 year of placing kittens. It was cheaper for me to get them fixed than it was to care for all of them.
I did that a couple times, but the neutered males wouldn't stop beating up my own cats, so I had to re-home them, I'm sure you know how hard that was. I just get frustrated at my neighbors sometimes for not doing better. (and thanks for not getting on me about my cats living outside. they do have a nice cedar potting shed out by the sun garden with a catdoor-that's where the litter box is...and they have fleece beds on my front porch, so they aren't just out there with no shelter or homey comforts.) I wouldn't mind a bit if I got a nice stray that wouldn't whip up on everybody else...but I don't get those, just the meanies...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had an ongoing argument with a neighbor down the road that wouldn't spay her calico manx. She claimed she wanted a steady supply of barn kitties and wasn't going to spend any money buying them at a shelter. She was just too far from my house (1/2 mile) and her cat never dropped by.

I had a feral colony around my house where once it was fully established, the males would drive off visitors. Kind of a shame because there were probably unfixed cats that got away because of my crew.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I had an ongoing argument with a neighbor down the road that wouldn't spay her calico manx. She claimed she wanted a steady supply of barn kitties and wasn't going to spend any money buying them at a shelter. She was just too far from my house (1/2 mile) and her cat never dropped by.

I had a feral colony around my house where once it was fully established, the males would drive off visitors. Kind of a shame because there were probably unfixed cats that got away because of my crew.
do you think the feral kitties would tell the visitors, "get out here, this lady takes you to a place where they snip of your "you know whats" " ? that would sure explain why they all run off...

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cat

I did that a couple times, but the neutered males wouldn't stop beating up my own cats, so I had to re-home them, I'm sure you know how hard that was. I just get frustrated at my neighbors sometimes for not doing better. (and thanks for not getting on me about my cats living outside. they do have a nice cedar potting shed out by the sun garden with a catdoor-that's where the litter box is...and they have fleece beds on my front porch, so they aren't just out there with no shelter or homey comforts.) I wouldn't mind a bit if I got a nice stray that wouldn't whip up on everybody else...but I don't get those, just the meanies...
What about building an outdoor enclosure for your cats so that the "meanies" cannot get at them?? I just think as long as there are intact cats roaming around, you are going to have squabbles. I agree with Momofmany, if they come on your yard, they are free game for a spay or neuter.

Katie

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im having a similar problem , now its that time of year , my ex stray has started fighting with every tom cat who comes near the garden , and no way i can keep him in because he goes mad if he cant get outside. so i always make sure he is in at nights. but since feb i have spent £200 on getting him fixed up after a nasty fight , one where a claw was stuck in his eye brow. i had him neutered back in janaury this year when i was able to get him to trust me enough. but his instints are still very much there.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

im having a similar problem , now its that time of year , my ex stray has started fighting with every tom cat who comes near the garden , and no way i can keep him in because he goes mad if he cant get outside. so i always make sure he is in at nights. but since feb i have spent £200 on getting him fixed up after a nasty fight , one where a claw was stuck in his eye brow. i had him neutered back in janaury this year when i was able to get him to trust me enough. but his instints are still very much there.
it can make you nuts can't it? building the enclosure is a good idea, but one I doubt my husband would go for. My cats do have the garage and the potting shed they can run into, but then I guess another cat could follow them in there...it's frustrating isn't it?
Tigger hurts himself trying to get out when I bring him in. He goes berserk inside...I don't really know why he's like that, I've had him since he was 8 weeks, and I kept him inside/outside til he was pretty big...he just hates being inside.