And the saga continues, maybe???

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Man, I am sooo sorry to keep on this...but I really am getting more worried the more info I find.

I read that Menu makes Innova. Is that true?????? I bought that stuff like last weekend or so for Ashie. I just bought the grain-free, but still...we know that doesn't matter anymore. Holy cow. It isn't recalled YET...but is it true they make it???????

Who makes Wellness??? And tell me how we find out who makes what?? It isn't on the cans, is it???????

I am going to throw up. I really am.

If a cat had eaten anything with this stuff in it, would it show in blood work or not necessarily??? My husband now thinks there may have been a chance Ashie (if you've seen the threads maybe a month ago about her acting funny) was exposed to some of this stuff. Ashie is better (more social, etc) than she was and nothing was found in her blood work.....so is it possible still? My husband says kidneys can heal themselves (I guess depending on what it is, though...but with this, I don't know anything about).

So anyway....help me out here!

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*hug*
Natura products (Innova, EVO, California Natural, etc.) WET FOODS are made by Menu.
Wellness WET as well.

This site is a good place to get information, but you could always email or call the company and get the information as well.

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/

I am feeding foods made by Menu that are not on recall yet, because if you take those options away, I think its raw and home-cooked diet along with dry foods left as options.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this may have been considered before, but-do humans eat wheat gluten? and is it harmful for us as well?

my cats are eating walmarts maxximum, for sensitive stomachs and doing really good on it...just a suggestion.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

I am feeding foods made by Menu that are not on recall yet, because if you take those options away, I think its raw and home-cooked diet along with dry foods left as options.
Same here. Dry food is tough because so many brands out there at least some type of grain in it, and those that don't can be quite expensive. With wet, it's a lot easier to find grain-free, but extremely hard to find something good that wasn't produced by Menu.

For dry we were feeding Felidae (no Menu association, no imported grains, no grain glutens or proteins), although lately I've been feeding them their old stuff, Nutrience (which is fortunately in the same boat as Felidae safety-wise). That's only because I'm trying to see if I can pinpoint a food intolerance though.

For wet we alternate brands. Felidae, Eagle Pack Holistic, Wellness, Nature's Variety Prairie, and Merrick. Basically it's just whatever we can find that is grainless and where the brand overall has no specific recalls. Some of those are made by Menu, but there's not much we can do about that. It helps that only a couple Menu plants were really affected, so given the choice, we'd rather feed a grainless wet from Menu than a non-Menu food with some kind of grain gluten or protein in it.

The most important thing for us right now is to stay away from brands that have been already affected by the recall, and to make sure we're not feeding anything with grain glutens or proteins. Do we feel 100% safe? Not at all, but we feel safe enough to not be worried on a daily basis. Hope that helps.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cat

this may have been considered before, but-do humans eat wheat gluten? and is it harmful for us as well?
Yes, humans do eat it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_gluten_(food)

Is it harmful? I don't think they've determined the exact effect of melamine on humans yet. Best case neutral, worst case harmful is my guess. It will become more of an issue in the following weeks when they start finding out how humans react to eating pigs or chicken that had ingested the contaminated feed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wmarcello

The most important thing for us right now is to stay away from brands that have been already affected by the recall.
Well, see...and that is just it...I have been..but then BAM! It gets added. UGH UGH UGH.

That list above is SUPERB! There are some great things out there not associated with menu and ARE grain-free at that. I found a few retailers here. I thnk Evanger's was one brand....I think??? I didn't write them all down since it is nearly 1am and I am tired...but I bookmarked the site to go back and write brands down.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

Well, see...and that is just it...I have been..but then BAM! It gets added. UGH UGH UGH.
I assume you're talking about the Triumph? It's too bad about that, and that could easily happen to me or a lot of other people here. It's a similar situation to the Blue Buffalo where the rice protein concentrate made it into their food without their knowledge. On paper the food seemed safe, but you never know what can happen. A brand like Wellness or Innova could be added to the recall list tomorrow because of cross-contamination *knocks on wood*, but we can only hope it remains safe.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

That list above is SUPERB! There are some great things out there not associated with menu and ARE grain-free at that. I found a few retailers here. I thnk Evanger's was one brand....I think??? I didn't write them all down since it is nearly 1am and I am tired...but I bookmarked the site to go back and write brands down.
Yes, there are some wet brands out there that are both grainless and not associated with Menu, and those that can find them are lucky. Unfortunately, not every area carries these brands, and even if they do, all of our hard work and research can still be trumped by a picky kitty.