Im not sure about a letter I recieved~advice?

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok ok ok....someone please tell me whether to believe this or not. I got a letter in the mail today regarding some insurance $$ from my uncle that passed away. (my dads brother) Its saying I have to fill out this form and send it in...yadda yadda. I called my mom/sis/brother to see if they all got one and yes, my siblings did but not my mom(and my siblings letters were addressed to my moms address)
I think its real....but I am a bit confused. I have never in my life been "entitled" to $$$!!
Not like this anyways. The only thing we can all figure out is that he(my uncle) left $$$ for my dad possibly and since hes passed away us kids should get it?

HELP me!! I called a phone # that was on the letter and of course the guy was out of the office

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What kind of information does the form ask for? I'd probably wait until you can talk to someone at the listed phone number.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

What kind of information does the form ask for? I'd probably wait until you can talk to someone at the listed phone number.
Yeah or maybe even a attorney...
I didnt really believe it, but since my siblings got one, now I sorta do

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would call the number and prob a attorney to check it out. It isnt hard for people to find relatives of someone who died and use that to get info or money.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be very careful about what information you give to them..There are lot's of "scams" out there...Good luck!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the money is being handed to you in a will or something like that, there would be an attorney or someone like that sorting it out. Make sure you speak directly with them before you give out any info.

Or just tell them they can send a check to the address they sent the letter to...

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Yeah or maybe even a attorney...
I didnt really believe it, but since my siblings got one, now I sorta do
This happened to my mom and her siblings. Nana had a small Mutual Fund and a few months after her death they sent a letter to all the beneficials so they can disperse the funds equally.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask a Lawyer also.Be careful of what info you give out to anyone.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go straight to a lawyer and figure it out with assistance

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you do, do not give any bank details in a letter. Does the letter come from a private person- it should be from a lawyer or the Assurance company - speak to t he lawyer who handled your uncle's estate. They will know.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would see a lawyer. My late husband left everything to me, and i'm paying a lawyer to act on my behalf to sort his estate out because i want to make sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing to think about --they may be using a very old beneficiary form. It's still valid, but it might have been filled out when you and your sibs were younger and all living with mom, hence the wrong addy.

If it's on the up and up you should be able to confirm who's sending it to you. As others have noted, it should be an insurance co, attorney or large corporation retirement services that send out that kind of thing.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't get a hold of a lawyer, Google the company. If the company was known for scams they would be on lists such as the BBB and others I can't think of...

I've done that before and that's how I found out about many scam businesses.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would make sure that you call and find out what is going on. Don't give any bank info or social security numbers to the person. Ask for a cheque to be either mailed to you or arrange for pick up.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup-its legite(sp?) My brother talked with the company today and they said that he left some $$$ and its all getting sorted out between his siblings and since my dad has passed away, it is for us kids.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else who suggested you contact a lawyer, and by all means phone and check out the credentials of the person or persons whom contacted you. This may very well be on the up and up but now a days you better off to double check, even triple check.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its probaby a phishing letter - to get you to give your personal info for identity theives. If you can't get ahold of someone in person and check the legility of it, I'd check with an attorney.

Don't fill out any form until everything is really verified.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its probaby a phishing letter - to get you to give your personal info for identity theives. If you can't get ahold of someone in person and check the legility of it, I'd check with an attorney.

Don't fill out any form until everything is really verified.
My brother did talk to someone this morning and its all legit.....I just googled up the company and its legit.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

My brother did talk to someone this morning and its all legit.....I just googled up the company and its legit.
Wow - what great news! It is always nice to get a little money unexpectedly!