Hoping my Pearl really is okay...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night, I slept really, really well. Too well... because my little Pearlygirl wasn't climbing all over me and giving me kisses all night. When I woke up this morning and realized she had never come to bed, I went looking for her... and found her huddled behind the sofa.

She just gazed up at me and wouldn't come out. I moved the sofa away from the wall, and she still wouldn't budge. Finally, in desperation, I found the famous Pink String, her favorite thing in the world, and dangled it.

And bless her little heart, she came stumbling clumsily out to try to catch the string... and that's how I discovered that her back legs weren't working right. She'd take a step and one leg or the other would crumple under her, or her hips would fall to one side. You can imagine my horror.

I picked her up just around her chest, so as not to handle her back half, and took her into the bathroom where I could examine her on the counter. I didn't find any visible injuries, no blood or anything... but it was clear that she was very nearly paralyzed in the back.

So I put a lot of towels in a carrier and lowered her in gently so she could arrange herself in whatever way hurt least, and we headed to the vet. They took us right away, and the doctor watched Pearl try to walk, then examined her... and she found a tender spot on Pearl's spine, a couple of inches above her tail. Then she pointed out something I had missed: Pearl's tail was dangling, just barely moving at all.

That scared me to death, of course -- a broken leg or a dislocated hip is one thing, but a spinal injury... permanent paralysis... no no no, not my Pearl!

So they x-rayed her, then brought her back to me, and I held her while they developed the films. I told her no matter what, I would always take care of her, even if it meant she could never use the litterbox again. She listened carefully and reached up to pat my face. I love this cat.

But when the doctor came back, she said the x-rays didn't show any bone damage! That's not necessarily proof that there was none, she said, but she felt it was most likely a soft-tissue injury, and as such, should show marked improvement within 48 hours! Thank heaven!

The doctor gave me three syringes of anti-inflammatory medication for her and said to keep her confined in a small space until tomorrow, so she won't do too much moving around. If she doesn't show improvement, or if she gets worse, I'm to bring her back in on Saturday morning.

So... I'm just hoping hoping hoping she's right, and my Pearl will be fine in a few days. I've got her set up in the bathroom with a nice comfy kitty bed, plenty of food and water, and a litterbox. And although I dislike the practice of carpeting bathrooms, I'm grateful for it just this once -- it's safer for her to fall over on.

She's crying for me now, so I'd better take a book and go stay with her awhile.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, poor little Pearl. Sending lots of vibes for her recovery.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can feel your heart from here - MANY vibes going out for your Pearlgirl. Poor little baby.

And lots of
for you - please keep us posted!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my! I can feel just how you felt through your post. I'm glad the vet thinks its OK.
Give Pearl a kiss for me?

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Pearl, please get to feeling better soon. Hopefully it is just a small soft injury and will heal quickly with the anti-inflams

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me give you (hopefully) some reason to be optimistic...I had a cat that had that happen, and after several days (with no anti-inflammatories from my vet) she was much better. Her tail always looked a little odd, curly, like a pig's tail kind of. But she was just fine! Hugs and kisses to Pearl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your good wishes! I do believe they help Pearl, and I know for sure they help me.

Keeping her in the bathroom didn't work -- she just couldn't bear to be isolated from the life of the house, and our other kitties were worried about her, too. Especially St. John! He stayed outside the bathroom, looking worried, the whole time she was in there. He's a sweet little boy.

So now she's in a nice large (borrowed) dog crate, complete with food and water and litterbox, and that allows her to be out among us. Right now, her crate is on a table next to me, and she's finally, finally getting some sleep.

While she was in the bathroom, she was walking around more than she should, so I'm glad she's inclined to lie still now... but it was awfully good to see her walking, even if she did fall a lot! She was doing much better than when I found her this morning. I was both laughing and crying, watching her... she has these fluffy little breeches in the back, and this fabulous plume of a tail, all girly and glamorous -- but she's totally knock-kneed, so watching her walk away is so funny! And so wonderful, under the circumstances.

WhiteCat, Pearl has been soundly smooched on your behalf...
and Kluchetta, thank you for that encouraging word, and excuse me a moment --

-- okay, Pearl has now been hugged and kissed on your behalf, as well.

Thank you all so much for your vibes and prayers and wellwishes... they mean a lot to me.

Carol

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's so wonderful that she seems to be getting better. Maybe by tomorrow she'll be back to normal.

Hopefully you'll both be able to get some rest tonight. Give her a hug and kiss from me too.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its good to hear, that pearl seems to be doing better,
that must have scared you really bad

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm saying some prayers for your Pearl. Hopefully it all turns out all ok. When we got Carly, we found that her tail didn't work. It just hangs down. I did research on tail-pull injuries and it sounds similar to what happened to Pearl. She may have gotten it caught in something. Carly does ok except every once in awhile I have to clean her tail as it doesn't always get out of the way. And I have to make sure I don't stand on it because she doesn't feel it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ACK! So that's where the cat hair came from!

Hopefully, Pearl is still resting soundly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

ACK! So that's where the cat hair came from!
Ha! Thank you for that laugh! I needed it!

And yes, she's sleeping off and on, and when she wakes up, she's fine as long as I'm in sight. If I'm not, she cries until I come back.

I swear I don't know why Pearl thinks so highly of me. But I certainly aspire to live up to her opinion.