a tragic Day

kcm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone...
Today.. today has been a tragic day for me.. actually more horrific than anything else... since it's such a beautiful day here in Montreal, Canada.. it thought hey I'm gonna hang some clothes outside then wasting electricity drying clothes, so i go and get the clothes from the washer... stupid me i forgot can't go outside with not slippers so.. i head into the living room where i remembered that's where i left them... as i take a quick glance i see a kitten on the floor.. Lulu's kid. i knew this because he was smaller than the other kittens.. soo.. i go to pick him up... and i realize... blood... all over the floor.. so i start panicking.. and that's when i puked... the poor things legs where ripped apart.. his intestine sticking out.. and i start screaming.. for my mom... and my mom came running in... and she freaked out aswell... so now.. Lulu has 2 left.. which i will not be letting her have.. i gave them to Midnight which is not taking care of them.. and I guess...well i feel this is my fault... I KNOW probably isn't but i can't bare the feeling.. i checked on them and they were fine!.. and ugh... god... i hope my decision to keep them away from her is best... anyhow.. wanted to let everyone know..

thanks for the support everyone..
-Steph

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Steph, so sorry for you having to find the kitten like this. Do you know for sure that Lulu did this? Do you have other cats or dogs in your home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

Steph, so sorry for you having to find the kitten like this. Do you know for sure that Lulu did this? Do you have other cats or dogs in your home?
I know Lulu did this because she's the only one that gets them.. and puts them in different places.. another thing is i saw her next to them until i came in she ran under the sofa... and all the other cats were sleeping.. and my dog is afraid of cats.. he hides from them.. he's a bichon frise.. so there's no possible way...
Mandy is injured so he sleeps in the back room alone.. Midnight, and Kandy were feeding their babies.. and Zack and Lucky were Napping in my bedroom

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is just terrible , im so sorry you had to see this. has she ever done anything like this before? mum cats dont normally tend to kill there kittens unless there scared or the kitten is sick. how was she with them up untill now?

kcm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

that is just terrible , im so sorry you had to see this. has she ever done anything like this before? mum cats dont normally tend to kill there kittens unless there scared or the kitten is sick. how was she with them up untill now?
Well..She was very distant.. she would feed and leave.. i never saw her clean them... umm.. she was always moving them.. i don't knwo why but she would.. she has never hurt a fly.. i don't understand... wait... her and kandy were fighting.. a couple of days ago... but kandy wouldn't hurt them.. .. maybe she was scared anything would happen to them and she tried hiding them.. and it went bad?

god i don't know what to think...
anyway thanks

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~Wow Im so sorry this has happened. I have never heard of mother cats harming their babies. I have had foster dogs attach, kill and even eat their own babies. I also had a foster mom...who was very sweet and we thought couldnt hurt a fly...she had 1 baby and tons of milk...and we had another dog, same breed that had hardly no milk and 6 babies so we decided to put a couple in with the other dog. She was FINE for a few days. We came home to find only HALF of one of the pups left. the entire bottom half of the puppy was left...from the waist down...nothing ELSE! She must have eaten the dear pup...was an aweful death!~

~Im so very sorry. I just never knew cats sometimes do things of this nature too...they just dont seem the TYPE ya know? Too sweet and mothering. Im very sorry for your loss. I would keep CLOSE eyes on the remaining babies...and rule out NOBODY because unless you seen this happen you cant really put blame on one of the animals in the household.~

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~Oh and just because a dog is scared of adult cats doesnt mean they wouldnt harm baby kittens. My little Yorkie Abby...she loves cats. She licks and snuggles with them etc but the first time she laid eyes on the babies she actually wanted to EAT one of them. Thought they were large doggie biscuits I guess. I dont know what was going through her mind but I have never left her in the room with the kittens without me or my husband being in there too. Now she actually will snap at Oreo if she goes near the babies. She will lay by the box and if anybody comes near the box she will snap at them like they are HER babies.~ Never understimate a dog even the smallest one can harm a helpless kitten. PS ALSO I hear MALE cats will kill baby kittens...do you have any adult males in the home?~

kcm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom_2_3

~Oh and just because a dog is scared of adult cats doesnt mean they wouldnt harm baby kittens. My little Yorkie Abby...she loves cats. She licks and snuggles with them etc but the first time she laid eyes on the babies she actually wanted to EAT one of them. Thought they were large doggie biscuits I guess. I dont know what was going through her mind but I have never left her in the room with the kittens without me or my husband being in there too. Now she actually will snap at Oreo if she goes near the babies. She will lay by the box and if anybody comes near the box she will snap at them like they are HER babies.~ Never understimate a dog even the smallest one can harm a helpless kitten. PS ALSO I hear MALE cats will kill baby kittens...do you have any adult males in the home?~
i do have males.. but like i said they were sleeping.. this all happened in a matter of 5 minutes.. and charlie wont go into the room where the kittens are since Kandy and Middie are there at all times.. the only time they leave the kittens is at 6:30am for wet food.. and after 5-10 minutes they are back in their baskets.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How very awful. I dont have advice to give as I dont have experience or knowledge about this situation. But I would like to send you a big

kcm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by minxie

How very awful. I dont have advice to give as I dont have experience or knowledge about this situation. But I would like to send you a big
thank you.. i really appreciated it...

kcm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by msgoody2shoes

That story really broke my heart. Like someone else said, don't rule out anybody. Good luck with the rest of the kittens.
Well I've closed the door to where the kittens were, middie feeds them and everything... so hopefully everything turns out...

oogieone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss...that is a horrible way to fnd a little one! I have been told that sometimes when a mother senses an abormality (you mentioned this was the runt of the litter) they will kill their kitten. It is a survival instinct. Some kittens are born with abnormalities that humans cannot detect. For this reason they may not thrive, they may even act or smell 'wrong' to the queen. Where one or two kittens are either killed or abandoned, these kittens are often found to be somehow 'faulty'. The mother simply does not want to waste energy on raising kittens that have little chance of survival. In addition, she has expended a lot of energy during pregnancy and she may eat all or part of some of these kittens in an attempt to recoup some of those losses (just as she eats placentas) and to dispose of 'carrion' that could potentially lead predators to her nest. The same goes for kittens which have an illness - she can smell the problem, humans cannot. It sounds horrible to us. But, in the wild, cats have evolved to better survive and unfortunately that doesn't always mesh with what humans find acceptable. Rest in peace little baby...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, mothers will kill their babies or reject them if there is a problem. illness, injury or just the runt even. That is sad and terrible. I am sorry it had to happen.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom_2_3

I have also heard that male toms will kill kittens so the queen will stop nursing and be in heat sooner.