Can cats eat raw fish (sashimi from restaurant)?

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am just wondering if fresh raw fish (sashimi) is safe for cats to eat. Of course there will not be wasabi on it, just plain fish. Is it safe? I am talking little amount like a tip of a finger size or smaller. Or is it harmful to them?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
they SHOULD NOT ... Parasites and bacteria

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ah, ok. tks. How about fresh fish just caught?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IF ya cook it yes ... NO RAW FISH..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ok, thanks for the info.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure if people are eating raw fish, the cats can
Personally I don't think anyone (people or pets) should be eating raw fish

So Sharky, if the fish is unsafe for cats, wouldn't it be unsafe for humans?????

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm sure if people are eating raw fish, the cats can
Personally I don't think anyone (people or pets) should be eating raw fish

So Sharky, if the fish is unsafe for cats, wouldn't it be unsafe for humans?????
I wont eat raw fish
... Unless your ancestory ate it I would think it is a BIG risk... oh and many folks get sick from raw fish way more than evan raw beef

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Sharky about the risk of parasites. Personally, I won't touch ANYTHING from the ocean, not even if it is cooked.

However, cat's intestines are NOT human intestines.

Yes, cats can catch tapeworms from raw fish, but if the human owner is eating the very same raw fish, and the cat likes it and gets a little taste and likes it, I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Many cats can eat garbage that would make a human sick almost immediately, but they process their food differently than we do. They can consume bacteria that we cannot, and they have no ill effects as a result. (Not all bacteria obviously.)

After all, how many people feed raw chicken - I would NEVER EVER eat raw chicken - you want to talk bacteria??? Yet it is ok for cats to eat - do you see the dichotomy in thinking there?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I agree with Sharky about the risk of parasites. Personally, I won't touch ANYTHING from the ocean, not even if it is cooked.

However, cat's intestines are NOT human intestines.

Yes, cats can catch tapeworms from raw fish, but if the human owner is eating the very same raw fish, and the cat likes it and gets a little taste and likes it, I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Many cats can eat garbage that would make a human sick almost immediately, but they process their food differently than we do. They can consume bacteria that we cannot, and they have no ill effects as a result. (Not all bacteria obviously.)

After all, how many people feed raw chicken - I would NEVER EVER eat raw chicken - you want to talk bacteria??? Yet it is ok for cats to eat - do you see the dichotomy in thinking there?
THE NO FISH came directly from my vet ... truelly not to many cats go fishing by nature

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats eat raw fish, canned salmon and canned sardines (in spring water). They get fish as a meal once a week or less often. We feed safe fish from this site: http://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?subnav=bestandworst We go by the safe list, obviously. LOL But we don't feed shrimp, scallops, oysters, muscles, things like that. Just frozen slamon and tilipia, canned mackeral, canned sardines and canned salmon (all in water, not oil)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

THE NO FISH came directly from my vet ... truelly not to many cats go fishing by nature
There are a lot of smaller wild cats that do fish, I'm sure ferals would attempt it given the opportunity as well.
And if you want to tell one of the cats that my dad and his wife own that cats do not fish...they'd probably thank you, he's stolen a few fish from their garden pond.

I'm going to go with raw fish = nasty clause. I won't eat it so I sure as heck won't feed it to my cats.
Originally Posted by ChrissyR

But we don't feed shrimp, scallops, oysters, muscles, things like that. Just frozen slamon and tilipia, canned mackeral, canned sardines and canned salmon (all in water, not oil)
Sheba makes a tuna and mussel tub that my boys love
they won't touch sardines.

Canned mackeral works very well for getting cats in traps, the stuff is stinky.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex worked in the fish health dept for government - I have heard so much about fish diseases and parasites that there is no way I would eat raw fish myself, nor let my cats eat it. Seriously - you don't want to know about it, it would turn your stomach. River fish, sea fish, farmed fish, they are all affected in some way.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But as we all know by now, vets really aren't all that knowledgeable when it comes to feeding our cats.

My vet tried to get me to feed Ferris a prescription "can only buy through the vet's office" Eukenooba (sp) food that had grains as the first ingredient, including glutens.

Puh-lease....

I DO understand that some cats, especially males, can develop issues from eating too much fish, but again, if the cat owner eats it, there should be nothing wrong with them giving their kitties a taste.

I don't eat fish EVER, but that is the ONLY wet food Ginger will eat. IF I was a sushi eater, I'd absolutely offer her some.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

But as we all know by now, vets really aren't all that knowledgeable when it comes to feeding our cats.

My vet tried to get me to feed Ferris a prescription "can only buy through the vet's office" Eukenooba (sp) food that had grains as the first ingredient, including glutens.

Puh-lease....

I DO understand that some cats, especially males, can develop issues from eating too much fish, but again, if the cat owner eats it, there should be nothing wrong with them giving their kitties a taste.

I don't eat fish EVER, but that is the ONLY wet food Ginger will eat. IF I was a sushi eater, I'd absolutely offer her some.
Unlike most vets ... mine actually has a masters in nutrition so when she says NO RAW fish i beleive it ..

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Unlike most vets ... mine actually has a masters in nutrition so when she says NO RAW fish i beleive it ..
LOL... that's rare. And you are more than welcome to have the last word.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

LOL... that's rare. And you are more than welcome to have the last word.

you must be like my mom and the no fish...lol

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm...I'm an occasional sushi eater and have always given Wally a little taste...guess I'll be thinking more about this...

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would not give my cats raw fish. They won't even eat fish in cat food. I just won't trust it. After the recall scare, and both my babies being affected I wouldn't give them anything out of the ordinary. As far as cats fishing, I've never seen a cat chase a chicken either and yet its a main ingredient in food. I know, its a protein source.

nausicaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, since apparently everyone thinks raw fish is digusting, I guess that means more for me then!
(Seriously, people...not even lox?)

Although I wouldn't want to gainsay a vet with a Master's in nutrition, I feel it's fine if the OP feeds his cat sashimi. Most restaurant sashimi is pre-frozen anyway, so risks of parasites or whatever would be pretty small, one would think. I've fed my kitty pieces of salmon sashimi (frozen, then de-thawed) on numerous occasions, and he's been fine. No vomiting, no diarrhea, nothing. (But then again, he has a cast-iron constitution.) Tuna sashimi is even safer.

So I say go for it. I'd rather my kitty gets his Omega-3s from a natural fish source than from supplements.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nausicaa

Well, since apparently everyone thinks raw fish is digusting, I guess that means more for me then!
(Seriously, people...not even lox?)

Although I wouldn't want to gainsay a vet with a Master's in nutrition, I feel it's fine if the OP feeds his cat sashimi. Most restaurant sashimi is pre-frozen anyway, so risks of parasites or whatever would be pretty small, one would think. I've fed my kitty pieces of salmon sashimi (frozen, then de-thawed) on numerous occasions, and he's been fine. No vomiting, no diarrhea, nothing. (But then again, he has a cast-iron constitution.) Tuna sashimi is even safer.

So I say go for it. I'd rather my kitty gets his Omega-3s from a natural fish source than from supplements.
I am guessing you are not in the USA ??? am I correct ??? Fish in other areas is safer
I still wouldnt feed it or eat it... Lox is lightly smoked and cured thus not true raw fish