Really itchy - help

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of a sudden I have become extremely itchy - mostly my back, but now my head has started. I went to the washroom to check out my back in the mirror - I have little red bumps all over it (pinprick size). Any ideas what I can do until I can get off work and go home to take a shower and put on some calmine lotion?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the allergic reaction.It sounds like hives to me.Try some Benedryl

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have a shower when you get home make sure it is a very cool or cold one. I had a bad rash once and had a warm bath and it made the rash spread and get so much worse.

Did you eat or drink something new?

or is it possible you have chicken pox or measles?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

If you have a shower when you get home make sure it is a very cool or cold one. I had a bad rash once and had a warm bath and it made the rash spread and get so much worse.

Did you eat or drink something new?

or is it possible you have chicken pox or measles?
Had a cool shower when I got home. I am still itchy but a little better. Tried Benedryl and didn't seem to make a difference. I have had nothing new to eat or drink....it is very odd.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the shirt washed with a new detergent or fabric softener??

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Was the shirt washed with a new detergent or fabric softener??
Nope - same old stuff. Plus my head is itchy too! It could be stress related.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch! I can relate to being itchy!

I have a skin condition called "Dermatographism". Hives are readily produced if the skin is lightly scratched. It's also called "Travelling Hives", because the more you scratch the more you itch.

You can see pictures of the results at the following links:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...pages/2780.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000005.htm

I cannot use my finger nails to scratch an itch because it just makes it worse. When I have an itch and need to scratch, I have to use something hard and rough, like a bristle brush or a dry loofah, otherwise I get welts that itch more
My favourite back scratching tool is actually the serated blade of an electric knife.

I practically live on Benadryl and always have to have some in my purse and at home because I would go mad if I didn't have any when I needed it. When my back is itchy, the itch is so intense that I practically rip my clothing off my body so that I can get at it to scratch.

Are you on any new medication? Tried a new cologne or deodorant or shampoo etc? It's possible that you may have come in contact with something that someone else was wearing. Perhaps brushed up against them and they were using a product that you are allergic too.

Of course it could be stress as you mentioned. The body has all kinds of ways of reacting when under stress, and hives is one of them.

Benadryl should have worked. Did you take 1 or 2 pills? Two pills is the usual dose. Also it's important to get the right type. You want "Benadryl Allergy", not Benadryl Cold and Sinus. The allergy one counters the histamine effect that is the cause of itchiness.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Ouch! I can relate to being itchy!

I have a skin condition called "Dermatographism". Hives are readily produced if the skin is lightly scratched. It's also called "Travelling Hives", because the more you scratch the more you itch.

You can see pictures of the results at the following links:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...pages/2780.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000005.htm

I cannot use my finger nails to scratch an itch because it just makes it worse. When I have an itch and need to scratch, I have to use something hard and rough, like a bristle brush or a dry loofah, otherwise I get welts that itch more
My favourite back scratching tool is actually the serated blade of an electric knife.

I practically live on Benadryl and always have to have some in my purse and at home because I would go mad if I didn't have any when I needed it. When my back is itchy, the itch is so intense that I practically rip my clothing off my body so that I can get at it to scratch.

Are you on any new medication? Tried a new cologne or deodorant or shampoo etc? It's possible that you may have come in contact with something that someone else was wearing. Perhaps brushed up against them and they were using a product that you are allergic too.

Of course it could be stress as you mentioned. The body has all kinds of ways of reacting when under stress, and hives is one of them.

Benadryl should have worked. Did you take 1 or 2 pills? Two pills is the usual dose. Also it's important to get the right type. You want "Benadryl Allergy", not Benadryl Cold and Sinus. The allergy one counters the histamine effect that is the cause of itchiness.
Thanks for the info - that seems very similar to what I have. I can only take the Benedryl Allergy (only one I can take while breastfeeding). I took 2. Maybe I am allergic to public transportation? I hate taking the bus to work!