Occasional Vomitting

denrin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, our kitten Bailey, ever since bringing her back from the vet when she got spayed, she vomitted once, just 'clear bile, and some food,' which the vet indicated may have been a direct result of her being spayed. I.e. the anesthesia that she was given during the surgery.

After a vet visit and some medication she cleared up and has been fine for a month. About three weeks ago she has done it another two times, (about two-three weeks apart) both of which has been clear bile, with a bit of cat hair in them. (no food)

She hasn't been acting any differently not more lethargic, depressed, anything, just as playful and fun as always. We have been switching the two kittens to new food (as per the food recall we are taking a different approach) we are switching from Science Diet (none of which has been on any food recall to date) to a combination of Innova Evo, California Natural, Felidae, and Wellness(As in one of these foods is being mixed in with the Science Diet, and the mixed with each other, introducing it all slowly etc...we know the whole routine on how to introduce new foods etc...)..

ANYWAYS again this morning we found this bile like liquid and some cat hair in it, and we are wondering if she just has a finicky stomach, and is not agreeing with the Science Diet, or any of the other type of food, or as a kitten is this her 'coughing up hairballs' but its just more bile than hair...

Hopefully that made sense, any 'ideas' would be appreciated. (And yes we know she should go to a vet, which we are most likely taking her, more along the lines of "has anyone seen or heard this before, and are they just kitten hairballs')

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that Bailey is having some trouble.

How old is Bailey?

Young kittens usually don't have much trouble with hairballs, but I wouldn't exclude the possiblity altogether. Could be...especially considering the spacing of the occurences. 2-4 weeks is about par for hairballs, in my experience.

Does she eat "free choice" or in meals? I have had some cats that will vomit clear liquid and/or a little stomach acid (bright yellow & clear) if they go "too long" without a meal. "Too long" can vary quite a bit from cat to cat.

I think if the food bothered her stomach, you would see some food coming up.

Constipation can cause vomiting in cats, but in that case you'll typically see a meal come up, rather than just clear liquid.

How are her stools? Hard, soft, just right? Every day?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I'm sorry to hear that Bailey is having some trouble.

How old is Bailey?

Young kittens usually don't have much trouble with hairballs, but I wouldn't exclude the possiblity altogether. Could be...especially considering the spacing of the occurences. 2-4 weeks is about par for hairballs, in my experience.

Does she eat "free choice" or in meals? I have had some cats that will vomit clear liquid and/or a little stomach acid (bright yellow & clear) if they go "too long" without a meal. "Too long" can vary quite a bit from cat to cat.

I think if the food bothered her stomach, you would see some food coming up.

Constipation can cause vomiting in cats, but in that case you'll typically see a meal come up, rather than just clear liquid.

How are her stools? Hard, soft, just right? Every day?
ALL that and WHY ARE YOU switching foods so much on a KITTEN???

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens can and do get hairballs. Perhaps give her a little dob of laxatone to help the hairball pass through (if she does have one).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denrin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why do ppl get fixated on the 'must give the kitten one choice of food'... we give them a variety. we don't just go from one to another we are always mixing the foods... and our kittens are on 'fixed meal plan' lol.... they get 3-4 times a day usually all at the same time give or take a 30 minutes...

And bailey 7months-ish.....

She always eats all of her food, or leaves a bit for 'later lol.

her stools, are not hard nor soft but i would call them 'just right' ha ha if thast possible to call it that....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denrin

Why do ppl get fixated on the 'must give the kitten one choice of food'... we give them a variety. we don't just go from one to another we are always mixing the foods... and our kittens are on 'fixed meal plan' lol.... they get 3-4 times a day usually all at the same time give or take a 30 minutes...

And bailey 7months-ish.....

She always eats all of her food, or leaves a bit for 'later lol.

her stools, are not hard nor soft but i would call them 'just right' ha ha if thast possible to call it that....
OHH that is not what I meant ... see KITTEN tummys are evan more sensitive to change... And some of the issues are likely one of the mix is too rich... I mix foods but it is two or three and My girls is an adult without a sensitive tummy... I would suspect EVO in your case

Does she have access to cat grass ??? or wet food at all???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denrin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ha ha ok sorry got defensive there ..... She did have cat grass but we could never keep it alive, for some reason *shrug*, and as per wet food she has access to it all the time we always mix our 'wet food' and dry food together for them