Mars, Incorporated to Acquire Nutro Products, Inc.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know Mars hasn't had any recalls from glutens or RPC, so it's no surprise Nutro jumped ship.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I forget but MARS owns one of the biggest food companies...
I've mentioned before that they haul animal digest to the local plant in a tanker truck that says MilkyWay on the side.
soo gross when you think about it.

I'm not going to deny that they have had recalls in the past, vomitoxin, salmonella, glass...
The glass incident was actually stupid too, a light busted in the meat store room and no one reported it till 50 tons where made. They recalled and trashed it all.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've mentioned before that they haul animal digest to the local plant in a tanker truck that says MilkyWay on the side.
soo gross when you think about it.

I'm not going to deny that they have had recalls in the past, vomitoxin, salmonella, glass...
The glass incident was actually stupid too, a light busted in the meat store room and no one reported it till 50 tons where made. They recalled and trashed it all.
EWW I remeber ... EVERYONE has recalls... so that isnt a worry ... pedigree and nutro possible made together is ..

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The press release says that Nutro will continue to operate as a stand alone organization within Mars. One can only hope that is true. If Mars leaves Nutro alone the product quality should remain high.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

The press release says that Nutro will continue to operate as a stand alone organization within Mars. One can only hope that is true. If Mars leaves Nutro alone the product quality should remain high.
the quality remained the last 18 months since the last purchase so I am hoping and ASKING about this tonight

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

What do you mean by this? They won the bid for the contract, they make the food. They do so by Nutro's formula and required ingredients. Simple as that.
I don't know about other plants, but you should be happy to know the corn and wheat this one uses comes from local growers. They are not allowed to substitute ingredients unless it's to a higher quality ingredient.
No, they won't be using any special Nutro owned equipment or special workers, that's a line of bull if any brand claims it.
If Nutro is like the other brands they will be auditing the plants making it regularly.

That the company plants make Kal Kan and Nutro won't matter, the formulas are different, thus the food is different. In fact if you know how many different grocery store brands various plants make everyone would probably be horrified.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What do you mean by this? They won the bid for the contract, they make the food. They do so by Nutro's formula and required ingredients. Simple as that.
I don't know about other plants, but you should be happy to know the corn and wheat this one uses comes from local growers. They are not allowed to substitute ingredients unless it's to a higher quality ingredient.
No, they won't be using any special Nutro owned equipment or special workers, that's a line of bull if any brand claims it.
If Nutro is like the other brands they will be auditing the plants making it regularly.

That the company plants make Kal Kan and Nutro won't matter, the formulas are different, thus the food is different. In fact if you know how many different grocery store brands various plants make everyone would probably be horrified.
for explaineing this

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Good to hear this because I just switched to Nutro. I was pretty worried when I first saw this.
that it remains a good quality food!! I am sooo sick of these food problems.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I don't know about other plants, but you should be happy to know the corn and wheat this one uses comes from local growers.
So all the grains in Whiskas... are those local (ie: not from China)? If so, then I won't feel bad feeding the cats Temptations at all.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wmarcello

So all the grains in Whiskas... are those local (ie: not from China)? If so, then I won't feel bad feeding the cats Temptations at all.
I can't claim that any rice used in the past wasn't from china, but if like the local plant, it won't be from now on.
I have no idea about the wheat gluten used else where as the plant in town does not have any foods that use it.
I can however say the local plant, and Mars in general, are paranoid enough that they tested a lot of stuff whenever news of contaminated ingredients surfaced.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Far more comfortable with this now .////

It may be GOOD for Nutro ... one canning will go in house ... two Mars owns Royal canin and they arent low end
... The orginal owner who stayed on as chariman okayed this

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This should ease concerns about Mars and Nutro...

Nutros founder stayed on thru the Baine purchase of Nutro and IS STILL and will ramain Nutros president..

I know other info I cannot share but I am sure this will not change Nutros quality

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Excuse me, what did I say?
I merely expressed the hope that the quality of Nutro would not change as a result of the sale to Mars. Companies absorb other companies. Sometimes the product produced by the company being absorbed changes. Based on other information in this thread that will not happen to Nutro. I merely expressed the hope that will, in fact, be the case.