TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Anyone ever had a pug?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone ever had a pug?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Well currently I have 3 dogs, a purbred black lab [Blacky], and purebred white poodle [spike], and a purebred jack russel [Luke]. We are very happy with all of our dogs. And they keep us very busy. We give each of our dogs a bath each day, not because we want to but because , they think its just the greatest thing to roll in something smell. It drives us all nuts, and they think its SO funny too.

Well my step-dad came home, saying that the guy he gives a ride to work (i guess the guy doesn't have a lisense), mom has a dog, that she doesn't want anymore. For the fact that she is getting to be really old (her not the dog), and that she isn't home very often at all, and she can't give it the proper attention it deserves. Well he is such a sucker for all animals that need a home, someone else told him about blackjack needing a home, so one night he came home with a 80+ lb black lab. That was a suprise. So we are considering getting this dog, and he is going to get more information from the guy tomorrow. Its a pug, and I think he said it was a girl, and that she was 2 years old and house broke. I am leaning towards getting it, because I love dogs, and I don't think that you can ever have enough. Pugs are adorable too. And I would be afraid that if she couldn't find a home for it, that she would get it euthanized, because that seems to be a BIG trend with the elderly ladies in my town. So we are really thinking about this.

So does anyone have pugs or know anythingn about them? (I've never actually 'met' one, i've seen then, but not known anyone personally with one)
BTW she is spayed and UTD on all shots.
post #2 of 13
I don't know anything about them, but I love pugs... they are like the dog versions of the Burmese breed of cat (the "contemporary" flatter-faced versions at least, but not as flat as a Persian).

Congrats! I think you should take him in... what's one more pet? Can't wait to see pics.
post #3 of 13
I know that pugs do very well with other pugs, a lot of people can't have just one. But I don't know what other breeds they do well with, therefore, I would check with a pug rescue to get a bit more info. since you have 3 other breeds of dogs. Good luck.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I know that pugs do very well with other pugs, a lot of people can't have just one. But I don't know what other breeds they do well with, therefore, I would check with a pug rescue to get a bit more info. since you have 3 other breeds of dogs. Good luck.
Yes one of the main reasons we are debating over this, is our other dogs. The last thing we would want to do, is bring in another dog, to live with them, that they don't like. So I would want to do an intro of the dogs with her before we got her, to make sure everything is going smooth. I know for a fact that Blackjack would get along with her. He gets along with all dogs, he is such a love-bug. Its so funny because hes such a great dog-sitter for Luke, today Luke was out in the corn field, and corn hasnn't been planted there yet, so there was nothing to hide in. But he crouched down real low, thinking that noone can see him. So Blackjack saw him, and jsut walked past him, acting like Luke was invisible, and Luke popped up and jumped one him, so Blacky acted like he was very suprised. It was totally hillarious. Spike really gets along with other dogs too, unless he gets under the inpression that we are indanger, theen he starts barking and growlling. But that is usually jsut when a dog is barkig at us and it sounds threatening. So I thnk those two woud be fine . But Luke is the one I am worried about. When we fist got him, he was scared of everyhting,a nd he had been beaten before, and he was the runt of the litter, so he was picked on. He was and still is a submissive urinator. He had to wear diapers for a while, because he would get so scared and pee rigt one you. So he might be a little timid, but hewas fine with blackjack, so I really think that he would warm up to another dog.
post #5 of 13
A few quick things about pugs:
You MUST clean their facial wrinkles regularly, or they get all icky and infected.
Having short faces, they do not do well in the heat for a long time.
Having short coats, they do not do well in the cold for a long time either!
They snore. They snort. They snuffle.
They are prone to eye problems.
They are very intelligent, but not usually real active. There are some people on the chazhound.com dog forums with pugs, and all their pictures feature the pugs laying around on the couch!

Also check out dogbreedinfo.com and yourpurebredpuppy.com for more info!
post #6 of 13
My parent's had a pug for many years Her name was Ellie..she was the cutest, most affectionate, gentle dog that I've known...we loved her so much
She was a bit stubborn and spoiled though
She snuffled and snorted a lot, she snored really loudly when she slept
When she was a baby her head was so big that when she would drink out of her water dish her back feet would raise off of the ground and she would go head first into the dish!
One word of caution...they shed a LOT, so keeping her brushed is a daily thing (especially during shedding season) They also overheat easily and get chilled easily. Ellie's favorite spot in the winter months was right in front of the fireplace.
Pug's are awesome, I hope that it works out for you
post #7 of 13
I've known many pugs in my life, and have loved them all. I never met a pug I didn't like...they're wonderful family dogs.

Here's just a few things to keep in mind about the breed. Any health problems in pugs begin at the head, or begin with their legs/feet:

Head:
Cataracts
Corneal Ulcers
Dry Eye
Eyelids and Eyelashs
Elongated Soft Palatte
Pug Dog Encephalitis
Generalized Progressive Retinal Atrophy
Pinched or Undersized Nostrils
Leg:
Hip Dysplasia
Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease
Slipped Stifles

For some reason, pugs also tend to be more vunerable to mange than a lot of other breeds...

If you're looking for a guard or a watch dog, a pug will not come in handy...they're so friendly and people-oriented, they tend to not give a hoot about strangers or people who could be potential burglars. They're more liable to snort on their shoes, and lick their ankles!

They do not tolerate excessive heat or cold well...so it's best they remain indoors for the majority of the time under climate-controlled conditions. If you want to walk your pug (and like any dog, they need exercise daily), do so before the weather gets too hot, and also avoid temps that are too cool. They are excellent house pets, and great lap dogs.

Yes, pugs snort, snuffle, sometimes cough, and sneeze. One misconception a lot of folks have about pugs having short hair, is that they will not shed. WRONG!!! Pugs shed a lot, just as any other dog, particularly when the seasons change.

Pugs have clownish personalities, and may take a bit longer to train...however, they do have a strong drive to please their humans. They are silly, intelligent, and sensitive dogs.

I definitely think you should give this little girl a chance...pugs are good with children and other dogs. And since you're not talking about a pup, most of the hard work has been done for you, as it sounds like she's been house-trained. Once you get a pug, you tend to get hooked for life!
post #8 of 13
Hm... I knew a pug once. She got a major tumor on her leg and was eventually put down, but while she was alive she was a sweet dog. Didn't do much, but what do you expect from a dog with a tumor and essentially no face?
post #9 of 13
I have a pug, and second what everyone here has said. I also read a forum called Pugvillage, and people there will give you advice and answer any questions you have. So will I, if you'd rather just talk to one person.

They'll get along with just about any other breed, and kids, too. They're quite laid back.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keisha View Post
Well currently I have 3 dogs, a purbred black lab [Blacky], and purebred white poodle [spike], and a purebred jack russel [Luke]. We are very happy with all of our dogs. And they keep us very busy. We give each of our dogs a bath each day, not because we want to but because , they think its just the greatest thing to roll in something smell. It drives us all nuts, and they think its SO funny too.

Well my step-dad came home, saying that the guy he gives a ride to work (i guess the guy doesn't have a lisense), mom has a dog, that she doesn't want anymore. For the fact that she is getting to be really old (her not the dog), and that she isn't home very often at all, and she can't give it the proper attention it deserves. Well he is such a sucker for all animals that need a home, someone else told him about blackjack needing a home, so one night he came home with a 80+ lb black lab. That was a suprise. So we are considering getting this dog, and he is going to get more information from the guy tomorrow. Its a pug, and I think he said it was a girl, and that she was 2 years old and house broke. I am leaning towards getting it, because I love dogs, and I don't think that you can ever have enough. Pugs are adorable too. And I would be afraid that if she couldn't find a home for it, that she would get it euthanized, because that seems to be a BIG trend with the elderly ladies in my town. So we are really thinking about this.

So does anyone have pugs or know anythingn about them? (I've never actually 'met' one, i've seen then, but not known anyone personally with one)
BTW she is spayed and UTD on all shots.

Yes, we had a pug! (BTW It was hit by a car ON PURPOSE ) It was the most cuddly little thing ever! Although, we didn't have any other dogs any other dog it did happen to meet, it would bark at them but after some 'gettin to know you sniffs' they got along just fine I think you should get one !!!!
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
I am going to find out what the situation is tomorrow. I haven't talked to them in a week, so i'll let you all know tomorrow
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
A few quick things about pugs:
You MUST clean their facial wrinkles regularly, or they get all icky and infected.
Having short faces, they do not do well in the heat for a long time.
Having short coats, they do not do well in the cold for a long time either!
They snore. They snort. They snuffle.
They are prone to eye problems.
They are very intelligent, but not usually real active. There are some people on the chazhound.com dog forums with pugs, and all their pictures feature the pugs laying around on the couch!

Also check out dogbreedinfo.com and yourpurebredpuppy.com for more info!
Agreed on all fronts. I have a friend who is quite a pug enthusiast, so I know this from her. I like to tell people that pugs are the labs of the small dog world. If I was going to have a small dog, it would probably be a pug. They really do love everybody. But, they also do sneeze in your face. Those little short noses!!!
Don't let the list of possible hereditary problems scare you (someone posted it after the above quoted post). Every breed has its potential problems, and the lab list would probably scare the tar out of you, too, but you've got one of those. These are things that could go wrong, not necessarily things that will go wrong. Obviously, if you are buying, you want to look for appropriate clearances and whatnot. But if you are saving, that's another story. It's good to be advised of potential problem conditions, though, but I just don't want that to deter you from adopting the new dog.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Well it looks like we are not getting her for the time being. We talked with the women that has her, and she says shes decided to keep her. So we told her that if she ever decides again that she doesnt want her to call us. Thanks to everyone for the great informaiton about Pugs, it makes me really want to get one in the future, if we dont get her. They are just adorable. And yes, there are alot of health problems for each breed of dog. That never really turns me away from a dog though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats and Other Animals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › Anyone ever had a pug?