Allergy Shampoo for Cats?

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Leo has been acting strange since Sunday: racing around, frenetically cleaning himself, "bristling" his fur, panting, hiding, etc.

I took him to the vet Monday. He doesn't have fleas, ear mites, etc. or anything else they could find wrong. They suspected it was in response to something he saw/heard/smelled outside. Just in case, they gave him an allergy shot as well.

(See http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125299 for my original thread about this issue.)

Fast forward 2 days- he's still exhibiting the same behaviors, but a little less frequently. I'm wondering if he's allergic to something, because he's shaking his head like he doesn't like the taste after he licks himself, and he's "ruffling" his fur a lot.

I went on Petsmart's website to see what kind of allergy or oatmeal shampoos they have, but couldn't find any that specified they were for cats (some said "dogs only"). I've put a call in to the vet to get their input, but am wondering if anyone here knows of an allergy or oatmeal shampoo I can use on him.

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm still searching for an allergy or oatmeal shampoo I can use on my cat who I think is allergic to something.

I've found something I can order online, but I'm hoping there's something someone can recommend that I can pick up locally... I'd prefer to go with something I know someone else has used and recommends.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he is an indoor cat, then I imagine you are not using any flea medications/collars. (poison)

Have you given him a bath and maybe not rinsed well enough?

I use handmade soap to wash my cats, some health/herb stores carry unscented handmade soap. Burt Bees is one name that comes to mind.

I have found that commercial shampoos for humans and animals contain too many chemicals and strip the hair and dry the scalp.

Handmade soap contains glycerine which adds moisture and gently cleanses without chemicals.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Cala has bad allergies in the fall. She chews herself raw. I bathe her every other week with a medicated shampoo. It is called InPet's Choice Medicated Anti-Seborrhoic Pet Shampoo for Dogs&Cats. This shampoo has worked wonders for Cala. I bought it at Chow Hound.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is an indoor-only cat, but is on monthly Revolution (definitely no flea collar!).

I gave him a bath using a cat and kitten shampoo as a result of this behavior, so that's not the cause. He was thoroughly rinsed (and let me know every second how much he hated it!).

Thank you kitytize and ddcats for the replies and recommendations. I really appreciate it, and will look into your suggestions.

Kitytize, do you know what Cala is allergic to?

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CurlyQ629

He is an indoor-only cat, but is on monthly Revolution (definitely no flea collar!).

I gave him a bath using a cat and kitten shampoo as a result of this behavior, so that's not the cause. He was thoroughly rinsed (and let me know every second how much he hated it!).

Thank you kitytize and ddcats for the replies and recommendations. I really appreciate it, and will look into your suggestions.

Could this be it? I don't trust any kind of chemical .

My cats are indoors, and they did not like the Frontline Plus, it made them sick. I got fleas years ago when I had my other dog. So, I just washed the cats with handmade soap-the bath alone drowns fleas.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CurlyQ629

No I don't. It started when we moved here 5 years ago (Cala is 7 years) and it only happens in the fall. Late fall is when it is the worst. My vet thought psycho genic alopecia(sp?) but I am positive it is an allergy to something in the air during fall. I thought possibly fleas but wouldn't she chew during the summer when it is flea season? I still wonder if it is wheat allergy but that doesn't make sense why she chews in the fall so bad.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

Could this be it? I don't trust any kind of chemical .

My cats are indoors, and they did not like the Frontline Plus, it made them sick. I got fleas years ago when I had my other dog. So, I just washed the cats with handmade soap-the bath alone drowns fleas.
I don't think so. He's been on it for at least 6 months now, and we've never had an issue before. It was a couple days before he was due to get his dose that all this started; I would consider the meds to be a possibility if the weird behavior started right after he got his meds, but that's not the case here. I understand the concerns people have with the flea medicines, but they have worked well for my cats. The flea infestation we had in the fall was so terrible and they were so miserable- I don't ever want them to endure that again.

Originally Posted by kitytize

No I don't. It started when we moved here 5 years ago (Cala is 7 years) and it only happens in the fall. Late fall is when it is the worst. My vet thought psycho genic alopecia(sp?) but I am positive it is an allergy to something in the air during fall. I thought possibly fleas but wouldn't she chew during the summer when it is flea season? I still wonder if it is wheat allergy but that doesn't make sense why she chews in the fall so bad.
That's what I'm starting to wonder with Leo- an allergy to something in the air. His behavior is starting to return to normal, It's been 5 days since he had the allergy shot, and he's not nearly as frantic (although he's still voluntarily spending time in his crate, which is strange for him).

I looked up allergen counts in St. Louis, and mold is the only thing that's been high in the last couple weeks. I should probably see what's blooming now, too. If this happens again, I'll be able to compare and maybe pinpoint the issue. I have my windows closed now so he's not getting exposed as much (if that's the problem). Have you looked up wheat counts in your area for the fall? That might help explain.
At least you know when it happens so you can deal with it. Does she get allergy shots in the fall?

I also thought the problem was fleas at first, since we've dealt with that in the past, but he's on Revolution, and when I (and then the vet) flea-combed him, we didn't find anything.