Ow! Charley Horse!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I woke up last night around 6 in agony, so bad I almost screamed... now this happens, sometimes, I get charley horses in my calf muscles but it hasn't gone away! It's been like 12 hours now!

I figured I was just dehydrated, I've had lots of water and potassium and calcium. It's still sore
and feels like its ready to cramp with even the slightest provocation again.

And now my ears feel like they're ringing.

Weird. What is this! Any advice?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I woke up last night around 6 in agony, so bad I almost screamed... now this happens, sometimes, I get charley horses in my calf muscles but it hasn't gone away! It's been like 12 hours now!

I figured I was just dehydrated, I've had lots of water and potassium and calcium. It's still sore

It sounds like you may be starting your period... that's what happens to me. Weird isn't it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that's artificially regulated... so probably not for me! But that is so weird that it happens to you at that time. How extra special.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise

Magnesium is used for cramps.

Btw i have no idea what charley horses are, but that is chuckies nickname! lol. He gallops down the hall floorboards

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Magnesium is used for cramps.

Btw i have no idea what charley horses are, but that is chuckies nickname! lol. He gallops down the hall floorboards
Really? A charley horse is that thing that happens in your legs usually while your asleep that makes you want to rip the muscle out of it with your bare hand... It's like a cramp and a spasm at once, mine I can usually see the muscle twitching and turning into a knot. They also go away pretty quickly, which is why I'm weirded out that my muscle still hurts now.

Good name for a horse-galloping cat too though.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound totally out there and weird, but my Uncle and Cousin coach college football, and whenever anyone on the team gets one, they drink pickle juice
They say it works- and I've had other people tell that it works too. Takes the pain away in a second!

Weird. I know.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise

Really? A charley horse is that thing that happens in your legs usually while your asleep that makes you want to rip the muscle out of it with your bare hand... It's like a cramp and a spasm at once, mine I can usually see the muscle twitching and turning into a knot. They also go away pretty quickly, which is why I'm weirded out that my muscle still hurts now.

Good name for a horse-galloping cat too though.
Hehe thank you. It's just funny when you hear his feet go down the hall. In the other house most of the house was carpeted so this is a new thing we've had since weve moved.

I get those cramps too. I did my trial day for possible employment a week ago (didnt work out) when i walked back to the bus stop, everytime my left leg stepped i felt like just under the back of my knee was going to cramp. Ive slept pretty good for a while now. I had terrible thigh/calf cramps that would wake me and id be in agony. I used to lay in bed and not know what to do and just punch my thigh or try and keep still. But then i learnt to jump out of bed, press my hands against the wall and push my heel down, toes up, to stretch it out.

Oh i do know how you feel

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine usually stay sore for a day or so afterwards. Just be careful not to stretch it too much or it might come back...I hate those.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel for you.. Charley Horse hurts bad! I have had a few in my time.. one of which happened at a formal dance at school.. I was climbing up into my date's truck and got it and couldn't manage to get in and was really biting my tongue trying not to scream!!

Nothing seems to help when I get one, but I do know exactly what you mean when you say it feels like it could come back any second!

to you!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ouch! I know exactly the pain you are talking about! They hurt so bad it's hard to breath sometimes. The last time I got one I felf myself moving my legs in my sleep. It was NARLY!!! I'm typically sore for about 2 days when I've had them.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes those things are the worse, I use to get them quite often. I found that a change in shoe's really helped. I work fairly long hours and am on my feet most of the time. I changed from a shoe with very hard soles, to soft soles and it helped a lot.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

This may sound totally out there and weird, but my Uncle and Cousin coach college football, and whenever anyone on the team gets one, they drink pickle juice
They say it works- and I've had other people tell that it works too. Takes the pain away in a second!

Weird. I know.
I have heard that pickle juice is good for it too. I just don't think I could drink it.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wierd thing is I didn't work out yesterday or work (7+ hours all on my feet) or even walk much further than usually, just a couple miles (normal for me). I did carry a printer down to FedEx but I rode the bus partways...

I think it has something to do with my "air conditioning" which somehow makes it HOTTER. I looked at the thermostat and it claimed it was 90 degrees in here! (32 degrees C) I was sweating like I was in a sauna! So probably has to do with being dehydrated from that.

And... PICKLE JUICE? No emoticon needed, I'm actually gagging a little. I'd rather have a charley horse! (I'm guessing it's something like Gatorade with the salt and stuff in the water? Or they were so scared they'd have to drink more that they couldn't feel the cramp anymore)

Thank you for sympathizing!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol i think everyone already given you good advice,
so i will just say , i hope it does not happen again tonight

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

lol i think everyone already given you good advice,
so i will just say , i hope it does not happen again tonight
I hope not either! My whole durn leg hurts now though. PLLH!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father used to get those, and once I got him started taking a good B-complex vitamin supplement, they went away within a couple of weeks. For the moment, though, I would apply heat to the spot and try not to tense that muscle at all...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe it or not, I LIKE pickle juice (I know, I'm weird). But, it makes sense that the sodium would help.

I get them too...not so much in my legs but the arches of my feet. The only thing that helps me is to stretch them out. You may want to put some muscle rub on to loosen it up a little. Or a long soak in a hot bath may help.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had that before. It was horrible when I did because I couldn't walk but I had an 8½ hour shift that day. I ended up putting my foot completely flat against the wall and stretched just a little bit and it helped.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've gotten those when I pointed my foot in my sleep. So painful. Maybe the pickle juice cure has something to do with salt. I think your muscels need salt to work, if I'm not mistaken (memories of biology class) Na+.