Little Baby Tosca is breathing funny...

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, when I picked baby Tosca up, she started panting.. And she breathed funny.. Do kittens kind of breath kind of hard? Because you can tell when these little babies breath... I don't know if that is normal or not, they are eating fine, and sleeping alright, but I picked Tosca up, and she breathed funny.. You could see her tongue.. And then she stopped, and meowed. Maybe the closet is too hot?? Should I move the babies somewhere else so they aren't as hot?? Or should I just leave them? Because Whisper is starting to learn to figure out that its fun right there.. Or should I move them out of the box? And put them on the floor, on a towl? I don't know, I am wondering if it is normal.. thank you for reading!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are you sure he was panting? sometimes when you pick a kitten up who is asleep you startle them and they hiss , it dosnt look much like a hiss more like a pant, but yes i have seen kittens pant a little and breath a bit harder , if its very wamr in the bedroom , maybe open a window just a crack to let a bit of air in. just make sure it dosnt cool down in there to quick you dont want them getting cold.
i hope someone can suggest something better then i can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hmm thats probably what she was doing. Hissing, because I do think I woke the poor baby up. Next time I think I will wait until she is done nursing, a long with the others, because the others did that too. They'll get used to it. But, I only pick them up for a minute or less, and then put them back with momma.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
please dont interfier while they are nursing it will mess up there feeding times. mum might get up and that baby will not have finshed nursing . pick them up when there moving about and not nursing or asleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't interfere with nursing, I mean after they are done, and moving, like you said. I wouldn't interfere with a babies eating time.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spirita2010

hmm thats probably what she was doing. Hissing, because I do think I woke the poor baby up. Next time I think I will wait until she is done nursing, a long with the others, because the others did that too. They'll get used to it. But, I only pick them up for a minute or less, and then put them back with momma.
I think thats what XxtashaxX was talking about. It looks like you did disturb the baby. Not saying you did, but thats what you typed.

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~Yea sounds like she is hissing and trying to scare you. My kittens do the same thing if startled or picked up without being played with first.~

~haha People are going to get our kittens mixed up by the names. I had to do a double take when reading the post at first in the thread list...was thinking WOW I dont remember posting that thread and Tosca is not breathing funny hhaha!~ At least our Tosca's are different colors heh?~

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tosca was definitely trying to hiss at you, as everyone else has mentioned. I would encourage you to continue handling her, so she realizes you mean no harm.
Pick her up, talk softly and gently to her, then put her back down. Repeat this often. As she grows she will associate you with gentle kindness and fun things. The pretend hissing will be a thing of the past.

If she's nursing and you want to pick her up, it's ok to dislodge her from mom occasionally. She'll go right back to nursing when you put her back. I do agree with the others that's it's the best practice to handle the kittens when they are in between meals if at all possible.
It's more for the queen's well being than the kittens. The queens get settled and want the kittens to nurse when they feel it's time. Kittens want to nurse whenever they are awake.