Trick for telling kittens apart (same color)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those with litters of all the same colors or more then one kitten the same color this tip is for you.

Breeder had 3 cream BSH kittens (all males) at the show. She put a dot of color from magic marker (red, green, blue) in the ear of the kitten - then color coded the benching cards with correct number.

She did this for at home to tell the kits apart at a young age. Just wanted to pass it along for those that might need it

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Excellent idea. I've tried a drop of food colouring on the head or a thin ribbon around the neck but I haven't been happy with either method.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great idea. I've always wondered when people post pics of similar kittens how they know the difference!

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great idea! I am glad I can tell my babies apart! Chubs is the biggest, Tosca has the most white on her, and Shakesphere is the smallest boy, and a little lighter than Chubs.
Great idea though! If Smokie's babies are all the same color then, thats a great idea!

dachweiler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went online tonight just to figure out how to tell my 3 black kittens apart...and found this thread right away! Thanks!!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a great idea... I used it with my three "white" kittens for the first few days.. I can tell them apart really easily now though. The only problem I had is that mom cleans them constantly and she was always licking it away... so I had to keep up on it if I wanted the mark to stay in the ear!

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, this sounds lie a god idea. I will have to try this once Kalli delivers. Thankyou.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Gayle - I always wondered how breeders tell all the same color apart. That's why I like cats that come in different colors - easier to sex (knowing genetics) and easier to tell apart. I had one litter of RB's and it was hard to tell them apart (4) - usually went by eye color or head shapes.

Those cats with markings/patterns are usually different enough to tell.

I also had a few litters of dutch rabbits - the one litter had identical twin does (females) and the ONLY difference was one's V on the face didn't quite come to a point - other then that you could NOT tell them apart! And it took me a few weeks to find that difference as it was not easy to tell.

dachweiler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After reading this, I went home to dot their little ears....the insides of their ears are black.

Any other suggestions?

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a piece of thin ribbon tied around the neck. Loose enough that there are no problems with the kitten feeding and moving etc. but tight enough that it won't get caught in anything.