Food Allergy ?

gizmo51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In August my 5 yr old cat Gizmo began having this crusty, itchy stuff all over her head & neck. The vet treated it with Depomedrol injections and pills. It would sometimes get a bit better, but never go away. In October he took a biopsy and sent it to the state vet school. They determined that it was "alergic dermatitis". The pattern of her itching is consistant with food allergy. Before this all started she was on Iams multi-cat dry and Friskies chicken or beef wet. I then started her (and her 2 siblings) on NB Vennison & Green Pea. She still never got over it and has had numerous depomedrol and vetalog shots and pills. In fact at times she has been a bloody mess scratching herself all around her neck and face. A few months ago I decided to order Natures Logic rabbit kibble and wet to try another protien source. I don't think that has made much of a difference and they do not like the wet. Since August, there was possibly one or two weeks that she didn't scratch herself. But then it just started all over again. I am of course no longer feeding her the NB VGP, but I'm at my wits end as to what to feed her.

Her are a couple of pictures of her, wish they were clearer.

Does anyone have any idea as to what she would be allergic to in the combination of food that she has been eating. I also might add that she isn't a completely indoor cat. She does go outside.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really like Royal Canin's range of food for allergy-prone cats. Have you tried any? There's Royal Canin Hypo Allergenic and Royal Canin Sensitivity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gizmo51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do I have to have a prescription for it? I will be at PetCo tomorrow, can I get it there?

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isn't this the Gizmo cat that's allergic to poultry? There is chicken in the Nature's Logic rabbit dry. Forgive me if i'm confusing you with someone else.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by luxum

Isn't this the Gizmo cat that's allergic to poultry? There is chicken in the Nature's Logic rabbit dry. Forgive me if i'm confusing you with someone else.
I would suggest a chicken free food .. as noted NL has chicken..

would you consider a homemade diet??

IVD makes a RX version of NB vension

gizmo51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I'm not the same Gizmo, but I did get the idea of the NL from her. I would consider a homemade diet if you could give me a good suggestion. I really wondered if the vennison was helping of not since she never did seem to get well while eating it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmo51

No, I'm not the same Gizmo, but I did get the idea of the NL from her. I would consider a homemade diet if you could give me a good suggestion. I really wondered if the vennison was helping of not since she never did seem to get well while eating it.
I will happily send u some recipes just drop me a PM ...

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A food you might try is California Natural Herring & Sweet Potatoe if your cat isn't allergic to fish. It gives them super smelly poop, but the ingredients are good.

Your cat could be allergic to a grain or vegetable in the diets. I would compare the diets you've tried and see what they contain that are the same. Whatever diet you choose you want ONE meat source not a diet that says one thing, but really means it's two or three things. [Like something saying "beef" but it has beef and chicken and lamb etc.] I found that my cat reacted to Duck and Pea, Venison and Pea, and then Addictions Unagi & Seaweed all three diets have peas in them. I then mixed z/d with peas and he reacted to them so he's allergic to them.

Another thing you could try is Evanger's Game Meats. [google Evanger's Game Meats]. They make canned meats for Dogs. They have buffalo, duck, pheasant, Rabbit, Beef, venison, and Chicken. You could try buying say Pheasant adding a taurine supplement to it and try that for a few weeks to see if the itching subsides. If you could find a cat multivitamin without yeast you could add that as well, but you mostly want to look out for taurine deficiency. I had my cat on the game meats for a couple of months just adding Taurine and he was fine, it wasn't 100% balanced obviously, but he got his taurine everyday and was fine for that period of time.

It would at least give you an idea of what protein source you could go with and then you could see if you could find a food with that protein source.

gizmo51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had considered ordering the California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato, but with this stupid recall, everything is out-of-stock at PetFood Direct.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmo51

I had considered ordering the California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato, but with this stupid recall, everything is out-of-stock at PetFood Direct.
The barley in this food worries me as wheat is a common allergen in cats and barley is it sister

paisleypants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fyi, the Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food my cat eats is from the local vet hospital pharmacy. I've also seen it online. I think Dr. Foster's had it?

Hope things are working out for you and your kitty!
Meg