Is one cat more laid back that the other?

shishi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK guys, I am about to embark on finding a new buddy for Max, He lost his older sister back in March and is very lonely when I am not at home. I went away for a week and had family come in every day to feed and play with him. They were hysterical when they saw my big list of instructions!

Anyway I also notice, since his sister passed he is veeeeery vocal when I get home so I think it is time to open our home to a new family member. My question..... Someone told me that orange or black Male cats tend to be the most laid back, which is what I need. Max is a pretty laid back guy (although he is Gray so that may shoot my theory) Has anyone else heard this? What should I look for? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orange and black male cats are laid back?!?!?! Why hasn't anyone told Leo and Spooky Bear?!?!?!?

I'd say if you want a laid back cat, DON'T get a young kitten to start out with. Maybe find a rescue group that fosters cats in their homes and just tell them you want one that's more laid back. They'll be very familiar with the cats and should be able to help you out. Getting one from a shelter is another option but one that seems laid back at the shelter might be completely opposite once you get home.

meistersar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think any one color tends to be more laid back really, certain breeds that run some typical patterns might have breed-tendancies of being either very active or not, but a regular mix-breed cat ... there's really a chance you could get a super active male black cat as opposed to a laid back gray tabby, it's a toss up.

Also, you may want to consider that cats are territorial, and if your cat isn't fixed (though I assume he is?) he may spray if a new cat (especially male) comes into the house. If you get a male cat, make sure it's fixed or a kitten, though if you don't want active, I wouldn't suggest a kitten (my god they can be exhausting! )

A female cat who is spayed might also be something to look into. Really it's more about personality type than color or gender, as suggested, look into a foster home or someone who is selling a cat from a private home that they've had a while, that way there's no surprises on personality.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ShiShi

OK guys, I am about to embark on finding a new buddy for Max, He lost his older sister back in March and is very lonely when I am not at home. I went away for a week and had family come in every day to feed and play with him. They were hysterical when they saw my big list of instructions!

Anyway I also notice, since his sister passed he is veeeeery vocal when I get home so I think it is time to open our home to a new family member. My question..... Someone told me that orange or black Male cats tend to be the most laid back, which is what I need. Max is a pretty laid back guy (although he is Gray so that may shoot my theory) Has anyone else heard this? What should I look for? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
Before I got Persi, I read all of the breed descriptions and they led me to believe that Persians were the most layed back. HAH! There are just exceptions to every rule, and I have never heard of this rule that you speak of.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think that color/breed plays as much a part in temperment as personality does. My cat Diesel is 1/2 Persian and is the most laid back cat that I've ever known. He's been calm and extremely people oriented (he love's everybody) from the time that he came home at 12 weeks.
Check around and let shelter's know what you are looking for, you'll find the perfect cat for you!