Nutritonal Yeast and Brewer's Yeast

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The question is-is it safe for cat's to consume? Also, Garlic is supposed to cause anemia in cats. So why are they're supplements geared towards cat with garlic? I almost purchased Pet Guardâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Brewer's Yeast and Garlic tablets thinking hey maybe it is safe since a pet company is selling it but I thought against it.

Please share your thoughts….

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Brewer's yeast contains lots of vitamins. But, I seem to recall a recent thread where someone said brewer's yeast makes urine more alkaline- which is good if kitty has problems with calcium oxalate stones. But for normal cats I'd imagine it's not great. I see yeast in quite a few cat food ingredient lists, but it's usually far down the list. In fact, my kitty's previous dry food contained it, and he never had a problem. But with larger amounts like in supplements, I'd stay away from them unless directed by a vet.

Garlic, again, you see it small amounts in some foods. So maybe small amounts are okay, but I wouldn't give my cat a garlic supplement. I don't know why they have one geared toward cats.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with whuckleberry on all counts.

I have heard of using a little brewer's yeast as a bribe on/in wet food...I think that would be OK, provided the kitty doesn't have problems with a high urine pH. And a trace amount of garlic in food, again I'm ok with that. But no - I wouldn't use a supplement like that for a cat.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'm extreme, but I won't give my cats any food containing any amount of garlic. Simply because I've heard that the effects are cumulative and that all cats are affected differently. I don't want to take a chance. I also stay away from supplements. Hopefully, by feeding them a variety of canned and dry, they're getting all the vitamins and what not they need. I've found that supplements for humans usually contain way more than is needed on a daily basis, and I'm imagining its the same for cat supplements.

Also - don't trust something just because a pet company makes/sells it. All the recalls lately have brought that lesson home to me with a bang.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So that’s a definite no to Pet Guard’s Yeast and Garlic supplements? In regarding to the toxicity of Garlic in cats. Well, then the advertisement of the product is interesting they (Pet Guard) State Our Yeast and Garlic products help your pet to maintain a healthy appetite and protect against anemia. But, Garlic causes anemia. So my question is how do it protect against anemia. Does the combination of the yeast works with the garlic to protect against anemia?

Also, I have been really considering yeast more so, nutritional yeast since its more jam packed with nutrients than Brewer’s yeast. I don’t think I hear any objections to the yeast. So it is okay right?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Also - don't trust something just because a pet company makes/sells it. All the recalls lately have brought that lesson home to me with a bang.
As a reptile owner I see a lot of horrible even deadly products geared towards reptiles. Just because the company slaps a fancy label on it and says you need it does not mean it's true.

Originally Posted by Kisabre

Also, I have been really considering yeast more so, nutritional yeast since its more jam packed with nutrients than Brewerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s yeast. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think I hear any objections to the yeast. So it is okay right?
Is the food you're feeding not enough nutritionally? If so maybe you should research foods and switch to a higher quality one. Otherwise adding a supplement that you do not even know if your cat needs is not a good idea. I would hesitate with giving a yeast supplement on it's own just because it may upset a cat's stomach, never mind if they reacted to it badly.

Maybe one of the people that feed raw will have better information on supplements and how to properly use them?

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Maybe one of the people that feed raw will have better information on supplements and how to properly use them?
Yeah, maybe so beacuse I have been considering a homemade diet for my cat. So that's more so why I ask if yeast was safe I look it up but haven't really seen if it was unsafe for a cat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeast is safe but in a homemade diet you dont need it ...

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sharky, do you feed a homemade diet? Or can you recommend any good homemade recipes?