What do you collect -- besides cats?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dragoriana's sudden obsession with rubber duckies made me wonder what other things we cat people are collecting. Even if you only have three, it counts as a collection!

All but one of my collections involve glass, which I've always loved. I collect:

-- Souvenir cloisonne pins from cities, states, Hard Rock Cafes... anywhere at all. I especially love the Hard Rock guitar pins, and I even have the rare Paul McCartney left-handed "violin" bass pin.

-- Beads! Thousands and thousands... so many beads that I can't imagine I'll ever actually get around to making jewelry out of them all.

-- Depression glass, especially marbles -- the greenish kind that fluoresces under blacklight.

-- Random pieces of Jade-Ite -- that wonderful old translucent green dishware. I can't afford a full set, but it's fun to keep an eye out for "orphan" pieces here and there.

-- Old glass insulators from telephone and telegraph lines, hydroelectric dams, etc. I have over 300 of them at this point, ranging in size from a tiny three-inch antenna insulator to a gorgeous carnival glass power insulator that's about a foot wide and almost as tall! Their history is the history of the industrial age... and although they are purely functional objects, never meant to be art, many of them are dazzlingly beautiful!

-- Industrial glass of almost any kind -- including old railroad lantern lenses, glass bricks, tiny glass spice drawers from old Hoosier cabinets, the colored glass housing from airport runway lights... I just love the "accidental artistry" of these things!

So what do you collect?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Essential and fragranced oil in those little bottles. I have 100+ atm.

Precious/semi-precious gems and rocks.

Books. I have a few dating back to the 17 and 18 hundreds. I have all of Jane Austens books PLUS duplicates! lol

Toys. Well i didn't really have any when i met Tristan, and now every so often he buys me something fluffy. Most of them are neatly sitting together in my cupboard but on a shelf so i can see them when i open the doors, havea couple on the bed. I have bears (starting to collect a few beanie kids now), cows, giraffes, hippos, dogs, cats, a whole bunch of teeny sesame street characters, polar bears, monkeys etcetc. I like to think that when i have children i will be mature enough to look after them, but because a part of me likes cute and child like things, i will be able to get along with them really well, and pass some of my things down to them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tiny painted wooden bobble head turtles- i LOVE them!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can see some of them in this older picture (please note- all bettas are in big tanks now
i had the little tank before i researched and learned how much room they need!
)

I LOVE my turtles

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
atm, old Honda cars apparently, or that's what my co-workers tell me...

I'm accumulating herkimer diamonds (they're actually just very clear quartz crystals).

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strays!!

No really.

Aside from that, I collect Elephants. I especially love looking for tiny little elephants that I can hide in random places all over the house. My favorite piece is carved from white marble.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really collect anything any more...besides bird toy parts...I have alot of those.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i have my own chop sticks also
hehe
i swear he still thinks i'm pregnant (i'm not!) from that whole stealing his chopsticks to make smores incedent earlier today
he's been weird all night ever since he cought me!

oh yeah, i also collect- bath stuff- I have a very scarry obsession with smell good stuff...you name it- i want to buy it

candles- I LOVE them

Cosmopolitan magazine- i have every single issue from the past few years- i want to save them so someday when i have girls, they can see them when they're old enough

and Flowers -i'm a lisenced florist/wedding planner - what can i say
Poor Colin all of my favorite things are very girly and he is learning how to have girly things in his bachelor pad

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to collect several things, but have learned I don't really need it all. Lately, I have been collecting cat toys
I do still have colored glass bottles of all shapes and sizes. Haven't had them out of storage in years though.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oil lamps and lanterns...only the brass lamp, and the black and green lanterns are authentic, the rest are reproductions.

...oh, and apparently, wolf figurines as well

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have ALOT of Teddy Bears.I have collected them over the years and though I've had to get rid of a few, I still have quite a few of them.
I also collect books.Mainly VC Andrews
I use to collect stickers.But, as soon as Sis got old enough, they went to her.

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, lord... what DON'T I collect? Here is a short list:

Alice in Wonderland - old editions, figurines, collectables
Marbles, logo golf balls, other stuff that is round
Swizzle sticks
Seashells
Purple glass
Rubber ducks
Red-haired dolls
Those little photo viewer keychains from zoos/amusement parks

I'm kind of a packrat.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to buy a shot glass wherever I go. I try not to collect too much caus I go overboard. LoL

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to collect comic books (X-Men, primarily), but stopped about a decade ago when the number of comics I was keeping up with exceeded my means of paying for them.
I still have every comic I ever purchased, however, and some of them are worth a fair amount of money. (That's not why I keep them or why I collected them in the first place, but it's a nice bonus.)

J and I both collect sharp pointy things: swords, daggers and knives. Nothing in our collection is valuable and most pieces are only "costume" weaponry, but there are a few things we could actually use in a fight. We both know how to use the weapons we have (J's better at it than I am) and are always looking for new pieces for our collection. He favours big, heavy swords and maces, while I prefer small, light daggers, rapiers and cutlasses (our weapons of choice suit our fighting styles: he's big and strong, I'm short but quick).

I also collect notebooks and journals, the prettier (or more interesting looking) the better. Most of them have never been written in, and none of them have been filled -- I just like the look of them, and the idea that I could write in them if I wanted to.

Finally, I collect books on writing and books on the Elizabethan era. J collects gaming books (LARPs, table-top and video games).

Our apartment is very cluttered.