I am FURIOUS! This guy stabbed 8 of my former co-workers

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and our crappy judicial system is going to just let him off by reason of mental insanity if the doctors at the clinic he's at say he's ok to be released into society
I'm beyond furious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think our judicial system is horrendous! Back during the summer this coworker at one of the grocery stores i worked at (i now work at the animal shelter here- the grocery store job was just temporary till i found something) he went on a rampage and stabbed 8 of my coworkers. Everytime i walked past the dpts. where they were stabbed, i'd get chills... What he did to them was aweful! 4 of them still work there (or at least they did before i left.....)i applaud them they for staying- i know i couldn't have if i had been hurt. 4 have not returned. Of the ones who did stay- several are still dealing with the permenant injuries they've suffered at this jerks hands. It's just aweful! I have to say- i have never worked in a more friendly/close nit- environment like we had there when i was there- i still miss my coworkers! (i left though because i needed better pay/benefits/hours). We were all really close. It just breaks my heart that now again- they're going to be "stabbed in the back" by our judicial system because not only did this guy get away with stabbing 8 coworkers...but now in a short amount of time me might be a free man to go shopping back in the same store where he went on his blood-bath rampage!
I'm beyond upset! I'm sure all of my former coworkers are as well....my heart goes out to them -they are just the most kind, loving people you could ever want to be around....and now they have to not only go through the pain of being injured by a coworker, but now they have to endure the insult the judicial system has put upon them by letting this mental case off

http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=6456057

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
If they say he has mental insanity, why isn't he put into an institute instead of being put back into society?!?? Seems it isn't only in Australia that the legal system stuffs up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

If they say he has mental insanity, why isn't he put into an institute instead of being put back into society?!?? Seems it isn't only in Australia that the legal system stuffs up
EXACTLY! I mean if he's as "mentally insane" as they say he is- lock him up in a mental facility where he can get the help he needs and keep him out of our stores and off our streets!!!!!!!!!!!!
People just don't get it! Our judicial system is a royal nightmare! This guy does NOT deserve to be a free man- and he definitely is not safe to be around- he is a threat to society (he's made that pretty obvious) and he can not be considered safe.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah if he has a mental problem that caused him to stab 8 people he knew why on Earth would they let him back into society!?!?!?

Sorry your friends have to go through all this again Nikki

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would be worried. He might come back with a gun this time... I would not work there again.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am sorry my friend, it sounds like both sides agree he was insane at the time. and they think with medication he will be ok. assuming he stays on his meds. i do agree that 60 days is far to short a time, for such a crime.
I would at least hope they make him follow up with the doctors and if he does not they would pick him back up .

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
here are some links to the origional story when it first broke. also, some of the news stations didn't get the location right at first as there are numerous schnucks stores around here. it's store 777 in lakeland, tennessee (right outside cordova (a small city in memphis if that makes any sense) if you google or look up "schnucks stabbing" there are even more links

http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=5183544
http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=5181990
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...age/index.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,205110,00.html

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Yeah if he has a mental problem that caused him to stab 8 people he knew why on Earth would they let him back into society!?!?!?

Sorry your friends have to go through all this again Nikki
Because they're stupid.
I'm worried about my coworkers too i hope he doesn't come back after them when he gets out. I'm soo glad i'm not there anymore. I loved my friend to pieces there but i would not feel safe knowing he's going to be released.

Originally Posted by watchcaddy

I would be worried. He might come back with a gun this time... I would not work there again.
I won't be going back. I actually left back in March for another job offer i had (the grocery store was just a temporary job when i was in between to put groceries on the table.) I can not imagine what my coworkers who were injured are going through. I know i would be petrified he'd come back...

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrible Nikki.
I knew our justice system was bad but that is horrendous.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Arizona has a "guilty but insane" law. Persons convicted of violent crimes, who are determined to be insane (schizophrenic, psychotic, etc.) are incarcerated in the State Hospital. Periodic reviews are mandatory and if the person is ever judged "sane", he/she is sent to prison to serve out the sentence. If the person is NEVER determined to be sane, he/she spends life in the State Hospital.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

That's terrible Nikki.
I knew our justice system was bad but that is horrendous.
it is
i wish it wasn't, but it is. colin gets frusterated too- he's a police officer and he gets soo frusterated that he winds up picking up the same people over and over again because the courts just let them go and don't hold them to the standards of the law
changes need to be made...it is not acceptable.

Originally Posted by katl8e

Arizona has a "guilty but insane" law. Persons convicted of violent crimes, who are determined to be insane (schizophrenic, psychotic, etc.) are incarcerated in the State Hospital. Periodic reviews are mandatory and if the person is ever judged "sane", he/she is sent to prison to serve out the sentence. If the person is NEVER determined to be sane, he/she spends life in the State Hospital.
I wish Tennessee would do that. I'm not sure what exactly our law is based on that but i do not think this guy needs to be released out into society if he "promises" to take his meds- this guys is will strike again, and next time it might be fatal. it's not worth the risk. They haven't said anything else about it on the news this afternoon but i'm sure they will have another segment on it tonight. I talked to one of my former co-workers today (he wasn't stabbed) he said that everyone there was really upset about the rulings and worried for their safety if he gets out - keep in mind several of the people who were stabbed returned back to work there (i admire their courage- they are such sweet, amazing people!) now they're worried he'll come back if he gets loose. I wonder if they can get some sort of legal restraining order to keep him out of all Schnucks stores
I hope they think of something if he does get out.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Arizona's law was enacted, after a man brutally ambushed and stabbed his ex-wife to death and was acquitted, by reason of insanity. He had a long history of stalking and attacking her. At the time, the only thing that the legal system could do was give her a restraining order against him. Naturally, a crazy person isn't going to pay any attention to a piece of paper and she had no chance to get away from him and call the police, that night.

This man wa sentenced to confinement in a mental hospital, until such time as he was judged to no longer be a danger to himself or other people. He spent 6 months, in a private hospital (his parents are rich and paid for it) and was released. The victim's parents were so outraged (justifiably so), that they lobbied long and hard, to pass the "guilty but insane" law.

Last year, a schizophrenic stabbed his grandparents to death and was found, huddled under a blanket, in the house with their bodies. Last month, he was sentenced to the State Hospital. If he is ever judged "sane", he will go to into the State prison system, for life.

oregon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember the Regan years, when I was way younger.
He let all the mentally ill people off on the street w/no backup, safety net or security. As a society we must take care of them. If dangerous to themselves or other they should be institutionalized. Especially downtown it was tragic to see so many homeless mentally ill talking to themselves, scrounging for food in dumpsters. And that was even when AIDS was at its worst in this country.
Right now it is cheaper to let those people of in the short term. And sometimes what is bad about our legal systems is that is has to work w/in laws that were put in by the voters.
I'd like to point out that w/the exception of cases like yours most of the mentally ills are usually victims, not perpetrators.
To change the laws we gotta vote for something better.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is so messed up. I work with people with mental disabilities every day and I've had more than 1 client who I've been under strict orders to call the police should they even be seen driving by. One was an expert marksperson and I ticked them off.

The one thing I will say I like about my state, is that even if you are technically on the street, if you aren't determined to be completely stable, they require you to have med checks like weekly or bi-weekly. You have to go to get meds and if you don't show...they will be looking for you. Not that you couldn't go and just not take your meds, but still better than nothing.

I hope that man stays far away from your old job. If I were one of the injured people, I'd be raising some heck. I've thought about that pretty deeply since I have had to for my job. Really makes me look forward to getting out of human services.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by oregon

I remember the Regan years, when I was way younger.
He let all the mentally ill people off on the street w/no backup, safety net or security. As a society we must take care of them. If dangerous to themselves or other they should be institutionalized. Especially downtown it was tragic to see so many homeless mentally ill talking to themselves, scrounging for food in dumpsters. And that was even when AIDS was at its worst in this country.
Right now it is cheaper to let those people of in the short term. And sometimes what is bad about our legal systems is that is has to work w/in laws that were put in by the voters.
I'd like to point out that w/the exception of cases like yours most of the mentally ills are usually victims, not perpetrators.
To change the laws we gotta vote for something better.
My company employs several people who were basically let out on the streets during the time you mentioned. They are in a different department than I work but I've gotten to know some of their stories. My boss has been in the field a long time and shes shared stories from her work too. The one that really kind of hit home was of a young man who she was helping learn 'life skills.' He was absolutely overwhelmed at choosing between chicken nuggets or a hamburger at McDonalds. He litterally could not do it and got very upset. He'd never had to make a decision in his life because others thought he was incapable.

That being said though, there is a fine and delicate line between taking away the disabled person's rights as a human being and protecting the public.

The sad thing now, which my company is trying to create a solution for, is that they've created places where severely disabled people can work, but when they reach retirement age there is nothing for them anymore. I know of a woman who's worked for my company for 47 years now....she works because it's something to do and a way to feel valuable. Since she's getting older, her family memebers are not all around to take care of her and things. What is she to do without her job and the friends she has there?