maine coon kitten coloring question

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of buying a maine coon kitten from a breeder.
She called him a silver mac. I feel stupid asking, but is this short for mackerel?
He looks almost solid to me from the pics, with maybe faint darker stripes.
But he's only 3 weeks old now. How long does it take for stripes to really come out?
I'll attach a pic.
Any maine coon experts have ideas of what he'll look like as an adult?
He's very cute....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With longhairs, its sometimes harder to tell the stripes unless they really are dark. Silvers go thru some stages. If he's a light silver rather then the darker with blacker stripes, it may take longer to show.

What colors are the parents?

At 3 weeks, its hard to evaluate how he will look - you'd have to wait a few months to tell. Are you buying him for show or just as a pet?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

With longhairs, its sometimes harder to tell the stripes unless they really are dark. Silvers go thru some stages. If he's a light silver rather then the darker with blacker stripes, it may take longer to show.

What colors are the parents?

At 3 weeks, its hard to evaluate how he will look - you'd have to wait a few months to tell. Are you buying him for show or just as a pet?
I don't see silver myself but that may change - I see blue instead! But that could just be the pic....

Based on the pic and IMHO - I'd say breeder or pet at the moment, the muzzle is not 90 degrees or square!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was gonna mentione about the "blue" cast, but think its just the pictures - that's why I asked the color of the parents. If they are both silvers, of course the kit has to be silver

I've never really seen 3 week old MC's to evaluate them at this age - he may look better in a few months.

Demetri has gotten a more squarer look on his muzzle (side view) - compared him to Charlie at the same age

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the father is blue and white and mother is brown mackerel.
it doesn't bother me if he's blue instead of silver, since he'd only be a pet, not a show cat.
stripes would be nice, cause I think they're pretty.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then most likely a blue mac and yes, there should be stripes soon - you can already see the "M" on the forehead

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the color as most know I'm not quite the expert
but that kitten is going to be precious!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the colors of the parents it will be a blue mackeral/white. Blue stripes are not very dark.

Is this a registered breeder? Sounds a little backyard breeder if they don't know the color from that combination! What's the cattery name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found them on the Fancier's Breed Referral List. They say they're registered with CFA, CFF and TICA and I know they show their cats a lot.
She called the kitten silver/blue though he may be more blue.

I think I'll visit him in two weeks and by then he'll be older and I can really see his coloring and play with him and meet his parents.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the parents are blue/white and brown tabby, no way can you have a blue-silver.

Can you pm with the url of where he is or give me the name of the breeder - I'll look them up for you and give you my opinion