This kinda......... sucks

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last couple days I've had problems with the electrical wiring in my kitchen. Anytime I use the microwave it trips a breaker. It's never done this in the year we've been here. I told the lanlords and they told me that the electrician would call me. That was 2 days ago. I now have to use my microwave in the living room on the floor

As I was warming up the pot roast, I have kitties and a pup swarming me. The Cat Brats were sitting on top of the microwave batting at my hand and the plate anytime I opened the door

Im debating on calling the landlords in the morning to find out what's going on... I dont want to bother them but then again, this is ridiculous!

So yeah, this kinda sucks

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call the landlords alycia, if there is something wrong with the wiring it could be a potential fire hazard and you wouldn't want your family around that. You're paying rent- you deserve to live in a place with proper wiring

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're paying the rent, your landlords have every responsibility in making your place safe and inhabitable. Call him/her again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think I'll call them tomorrow morning!
I was going to wait until they pick up the rent on Friday but this is just crazy!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Call the landlords alycia, if there is something wrong with the wiring it could be a potential fire hazard and you wouldn't want your family around that. You're paying rent- you deserve to live in a place with proper wiring
Well said Nikki!! You better get to calling the landlord, this is why you pay rent

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, call right away -- if something happens before you call, you might be held liable for failing to notify him.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Yes, call right away -- if something happens before you call, you might be held liable for failing to notify him.
Well they are aware of the problem. I am going to call them this morning when we get to the jobsite

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it might be a potential hazard and they should take care of it sooner rather than later. I would keep bugging them

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the electrician called. He won't be able to get here until Monday!
I'm a little upset about it too. I mean, what happens if it is hazardous?

oregon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1. Renter insurance. They are insured but just for themselves. I hate to advs insurance as it is one of those things that thrives on fear. But after buying my expensive pc I went out and got some. It wans't too bad.
2. Fire extinguisher, get a cheap one.
3. Tell them you don't feel safe and are worried about the wiring.

Take care!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oregon

1. Renter insurance. They are insured but just for themselves. I hate to advs insurance as it is one of those things that thrives on fear. But after buying my expensive pc I went out and got some. It wans't too bad.
2. Fire extinguisher, get a cheap one.
3. Tell them you don't feel safe and are worried about the wiring.

Take care!
Renter's insurance is REALLY expensive here in Florida. Almost as much as Homeowners

I do have 3 fire extinguishers! We have 2 on the truck for work and one in the house!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why the circuit breaker is there. If there is a potential for a fire, the circuit breaker shuts off the electricity. Pretty much the worse case will be the wires themselves fry, but not start a fire (unless the circuit breaker doesn't trip and you run the microwave for 5+ hours along with everything else).

to be on the safe side, however, just keep doing what you're doing. I understand that its frustrating not being able to get an electrian out sooner.