Awwww he's sooo sweet!!!! Whiskey is really starting to come out of his shell.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww
I just love our new pup,Whiskey to pieces! He has got to be the sweetest thing! Right now he's sound asleep on the couch beside me with his head in my lap
He's deinitely my little side kick too -he follows me EVERYWHERE!!!!!! And will not leave my side for a moment
We adopted Whiskey from one of Colin's cop friends a few months back when he was trying to rehome him (he had too many dogs and the other dogs were teaming up against him and hurting him) Before his friend had him, he was in another home- an extremly abusive home......they dumped him off at the shelter (that's where his friend found him.) So little Whiskey has had a lot of trust/anxiety issues. He's sooooo skiddish- but recently he's really started to come around a lot and warm up to us
He's definitely a momma's boy but he's starting to really like and trust Colin too. (we think he was abused by a man before- he is scared of most men). He really loves Fosters (our rescued australian shepherd) as well as all of the kitties too! He's just fit in lovely in our home!!!
He's what we suspect to be a Carolina Dog (the American version of a Dingo). He's around 4-5 years old and is just the nicest little fella! He sleeps with me every night right between colin and i and is always trying to be my little shadow lol. I'm soo proud of him though- it's taken soooo much work with him to really get him to trust us and feel safe here- he's done wonderful with his training (i work with both dogs all the time
). I just had to brag about my little fella a little bit- he's come such a long way and it's sooo nice to have such a loving little fella really start to feel at home here with us and know he's safe!
I took a few pictures of him a few nights ago so i will post those in the cats and other animals thread soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

Well done Whiskey!

Thats so fantastic that he's found a great forever home with you!
I really appreciate that
/ It's just sooo sweet to see how much he loves and trusts us now that he know's he's safe here and would never hurt him. Colin says he's definitely my doggie
He follows me EVERYWHERE! Even if i go to the bathroom- he'll sit right outside of the door and wait for me to come out....he's really protective of me
it's cute! he's also fit in soooooo well here!! All of the other animals just love him to pieces! Especially our other dog Fosters!
He's such a little blessing!
Here is the link to his pictures! http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125494

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

Its so wonderful when you can really help an animal in need!

They just make you feel all warm and cozy!
definitely warm and cozy
especially when they all pile up into bed with us at night

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww yay for Whisky! He sounds like a doll! Stories like that make me miss haivng a dog in the house....

....DH doesn't want any more pets, or so he says, but I think he'll come around on that one once we're in a house!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Awww yay for Whisky! He sounds like a doll! Stories like that make me miss haivng a dog in the house....

....DH doesn't want any more pets, or so he says, but I think he'll come around on that one once we're in a house!
take him to your local shelter to walk/pet the dogs on your next days off together (you know, just to get the animals out of their cage and let them play for a bit
) hehe it works like a charm! That's what i did with Colin before i started working at the shelter (actually the same shetler!
) and we walked all the dogs/ took them to the park,...i had a fit over Fosters! Just fell in love with him! We didn't leave with him that day (we were on his motorcycle) But two days later my car was in the shop so Colin took me to work (different place at that time) and when he picked me up that afternoon, he was telling me that he wanted to show me the new sprinkler system or what not he had set up in the back yard. (not uncomon for Colin he's a home depot freak so i didn't suspect a thing
) when he opened the gate- there little Fosters was!!!! It's been history since then- hehe he's ours now and i couldn't have a better pup!
Then a few months ago, Colin adopted Whikey from one of his cop friends!! haha so don't worry, your hubby will change his mind when he's ready

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww....yea whiskey!
I'm so glad he found such a good home and that he is able to start trusting people again. Poor little guy...he looks like a sweetheart!
Good for you on not giving up on him! I'm sure he will open up even more with time.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Awww....yea whiskey!
I'm so glad he found such a good home and that he is able to start trusting people again. Poor little guy...he looks like a sweetheart!
Good for you on not giving up on him! I'm sure he will open up even more with time.
Thankyou! He is definitely a huge sweetie!!
I feel so bad for him though- i mean someone had to have beat the ever loving daylights out of this poor guy
He was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO petrified of everything and everyone when we first got him...it was just aweful (Colin's friend said he was like that when he adoped him too). He has really started to open up a lot. I seem to be the one he's bonded to the most and he's also starting to trust colin too
He's really smart too!!! He's taken very well to his training!
He's doing wonderful here!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Thankyou! He is definitely a huge sweetie!!
I feel so bad for him though- i mean someone had to have beat the ever loving daylights out of this poor guy
He was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO petrified of everything and everyone when we first got him...it was just aweful (Colin's friend said he was like that when he adoped him too). He has really started to open up a lot. I seem to be the one he's bonded to the most and he's also starting to trust colin too
He's really smart too!!! He's taken very well to his training!
He's doing wonderful here!
That's great!!
I bet he will be even better than anyone thought. Just had to give him a chance. I wish I could beat whoever beat him up!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's great!!
I bet he will be even better than anyone thought. Just had to give him a chance. I wish I could beat whoever beat him up!
Me too - i'd like to seriously give whoever hurt him a piece of my mind:bad: ANd now especially that i work at a shelter - man...working at a shelter will really make you hate some people
it's AWEFUL the things that we see on a daily basis- just horrid! I definitely think Whiskey was kicked by a former owner- he's petrified of feet and shoes.
At least now though he will never have to worry about being hurt again- he's safe with us

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Me too - i'd like to seriously give whoever hurt him a piece of my mind:bad: ANd now especially that i work at a shelter - man...working at a shelter will really make you hate some people
it's AWEFUL the things that we see on a daily basis- just horrid! I definitely think Whiskey was kicked by a former owner- he's petrified of feet and shoes.
At least now though he will never have to worry about being hurt again- he's safe with us
I know...I volunteer at our local shelter when I can. It's been almost a year because I've been so busy, but will start going back again soon. Sometimes I get so mad at what they have done or why they dumped them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know...I volunteer at our local shelter when I can. It's been almost a year because I've been so busy, but will start going back again soon. Sometimes I get so mad at what they have done or why they dumped them.
isn't it frusterating! but you know it's soo worth it working and volunteering at a shelter knowing you get to help soo many animals who need all the love and attention they can get!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

isn't it frusterating! but you know it's soo worth it working and volunteering at a shelter knowing you get to help soo many animals who need all the love and attention they can get!
I always wish I could take them all home, but I can't.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I always wish I could take them all home, but I can't.
oh me too!! it's sooo bad working up there- i swear i'd REALLY be a crazy animal lady if i didn't have Colin to tell me "no honey" every once in a while
I REALLY want to adop one of our shelter dogs right now, his name is Jimbo- he's a GORGEOUS brindle pit bull -absolutely stunning. He too has likely been abused by someone -he's very skiddish....but just as sweet as he can be. I'm trying to talk Colin into letting me just foster him for a bit to get him out of the shelter and train him a bit so he'll be very adoptable. Colin's just worried that if i foster him, i'll get too attached and won't want to bring him back (he's soooo right too
) so we'll give him a while to get a home, but if he doesn't get adopted soon- i told Colin i REALLY wanted him
We'll see- (he's AWESOME with other dogs AND kitties so that would be great).

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

oh me too!! it's sooo bad working up there- i swear i'd REALLY be a crazy animal lady if i didn't have Colin to tell me "no honey" every once in a while
I REALLY want to adop one of our shelter dogs right now, his name is Jimbo- he's a GORGEOUS brindle pit bull -absolutely stunning. He too has likely been abused by someone -he's very skiddish....but just as sweet as he can be. I'm trying to talk Colin into letting me just foster him for a bit to get him out of the shelter and train him a bit so he'll be very adoptable. Colin's just worried that if i foster him, i'll get too attached and won't want to bring him back (he's soooo right too
) so we'll give him a while to get a home, but if he doesn't get adopted soon- i told Colin i REALLY wanted him
We'll see- (he's AWESOME with other dogs AND kitties so that would be great).
That would be awesome! How did you get into fostering? I'd like to learn more about that. I have really fallen in love with the bengal breed!
So I'd really like to adopt a really nice looking bengal if I can find one, if not, I might have to buy one.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That would be awesome! How did you get into fostering? I'd like to learn more about that. I have really fallen in love with the bengal breed!
So I'd really like to adopt a really nice looking bengal if I can find one, if not, I might have to buy one.
try breed specific rescues.
or even just a shelter- you'd be suprised how many pure breeds wind up in shelters. In the past month we've had- purebreed: beagles, labs, pit bulls, basset hound puppies, cocker spaniel puppies, st. benard, great dane, brittany spaniel puppies, spynx kitty, russian blue kitty,siamese, and several persians. you never know what you'll find.

I started fostering when i was very young. Our neighbors were aweful and didn't have their kitties spayed/neutered- so they were always having kittens- many times they would be orphaned (thanks to cars and neighbors not having them indoors or fixed) so i would take them in and my mom and i would bottle feed them...then as they got older we'd take them to no-kill shelters and try to rehome them. That started when i was in middle school. The older and more experienced i became them more i fostered. In high school i became the primary foster mom for one of the local no-kill shelters. My school was AWESOME they even let me keep them in the principals office so i could care for them between classes and on breaks
During college (i went for about 3 years off and on) i scheduled my classes around feeding times so that worked out well. And now i work at one of the animal shelters i used to foster for (the one we adopted our dog fosters from actually) so i take my work home with me
i'm always toting around foster kittens (and the occassional pup). I'm the primary foster mom there and all fostering/etc goes through me. We also are blessed to have several WONDERFUL foster moms that volunteer there as well so i love them to pieces! That's how i got into it
And just as the years have gone by, i've learned a lot about it, developed good techniques/ and researched a lot- i've also got a lot of good advice from many vets and that's helped a lot!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

try breed specific rescues.
or even just a shelter- you'd be suprised how many pure breeds wind up in shelters. In the past month we've had- purebreed: beagles, labs, pit bulls, basset hound puppies, cocker spaniel puppies, st. benard, great dane, brittany spaniel puppies, spynx kitty, russian blue kitty,siamese, and several persians. you never know what you'll find.

I started fostering when i was very young. Our neighbors were aweful and didn't have their kitties spayed/neutered- so they were always having kittens- many times they would be orphaned (thanks to cars and neighbors not having them indoors or fixed) so i would take them in and my mom and i would bottle feed them...then as they got older we'd take them to no-kill shelters and try to rehome them. That started when i was in middle school. The older and more experienced i became them more i fostered. In high school i became the primary foster mom for one of the local no-kill shelters. My school was AWESOME they even let me keep them in the principals office so i could care for them between classes and on breaks
During college (i went for about 3 years off and on) i scheduled my classes around feeding times so that worked out well. And now i work at one of the animal shelters i used to foster for (the one we adopted our dog fosters from actually) so i take my work home with me
i'm always toting around foster kittens (and the occassional pup). I'm the primary foster mom there and all fostering/etc goes through me. We also are blessed to have several WONDERFUL foster moms that volunteer there as well so i love them to pieces! That's how i got into it
And just as the years have gone by, i've learned a lot about it, developed good techniques/ and researched a lot- i've also got a lot of good advice from many vets and that's helped a lot!
I found a very sweet looking bengal on petfinder.com, but she's been adopted. She was part siamese and bengal and she was gorgeous. I will give myself a year after I move into a house to try to find one at a shelter.
That is so neat that your principal let you keep them at the school!
Good job! Keep up the good work.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I found a very sweet looking bengal on petfinder.com, but she's been adopted. She was part siamese and bengal and she was gorgeous. I will give myself a year after I move into a house to try to find one at a shelter.
That is so neat that your principal let you keep them at the school!
Good job! Keep up the good work.
Thankyou
I was really fortunate (i lived in an AWEFUL area so my mom worked to put me in a private school in a safer place - the principal was my track coach and was really sweet- he let me keep all the kittens in his office
))