Smores- can i roast a marshmellow over a candle?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So umm....i'm having insane cravings for some smores right now...and it's WAY too hot to lite the fire place....so my question would be- could i roast some marshmellows on a chopstick over a candle? Or would it wind up tasting like the scent of the candle? I even have the marshmellows, ghram crackers, and hersheys chocolate
I'm soooo wanting one right now!
To the point that i'll roast the marshmellows over a candle if need be

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about using a candle, but I think I've microwaved smores before

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

hummm....i may have to try that if the candle doesn't work.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd use the microwave!

I have my own S'more maker tho, I got it for Christmas last year- it comes w/ a place to have heater for the s'mores and everything- I'll take a pic of it when I get home. I've never even used it before!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH says you can. But he suggests you put it on a long fork and roast it over your gas stove (if you have gas).

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I'd use the microwave!

I have my own S'more maker tho, I got it for Christmas last year- it comes w/ a place to have heater for the s'mores and everything- I'll take a pic of it when I get home. I've never even used it before!
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

DH says you can. But he suggests you put it on a long fork and roast it over your gas stove (if you have gas).
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I've done all of the above and even a candle! lol I had a small sore addiction a few years ago. A gas stove would be your best bet... my next choice would be the microwave unless you really want that toasted/chared outside. There's just something about using a candle that makes it taste off... almost like wax. Yuck!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I'd use the microwave!

you have a smore maker and you haven't used it yet
that's a crime

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

no gas stove here- just electric- but the candle seems to be working just wonderfully!!!! So do the chopsticks
Although i wish i had some jumbo marshmellows right about now instead of the mini ones

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

you have a smore maker and you haven't used it yet
that's a crime

no gas stove here- just electric- but the candle seems to be working just wonderfully!!!! So do the chopsticks
Although i wish i had some jumbo marshmellows right about now instead of the mini ones
Your using mini marshmallows?! Wow, and I thought I had a smore problem.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhhhh so i thought the coast was clear to feed my secret smore cravings....apparently not! Colin has been in the garage all morning fixing that hole he put in the attic (he's supposedly making a second opening and adding a pull down ladder/etc
) So i thought he would never know what i was doing
WRONG! He came into the house to use the restroom and when he walked in the living room he saw me roasting mini marshmellows on his chopsticks over my candle watching dr. phil- he just stood there dumbfounded and said, ummm nikki, are you pregnant?
That's soo aweful!!!!
I was like ....ummm....no...i just wanted some smores
lol...great so now he thinks i'm pregnant (i'm not) because i was trying to roast marshmellows over a candle....it's not that bad! Geesh- can't a woman have a s'more without people assuming she's pregnant??????
i don't think i need an excuse for wanting anything containing chocolate..

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Uhhhh so i thought the coast was clear to feed my secret smore cravings....apparently not! Colin has been in the garage all morning fixing that hole he put in the attic (he's supposedly making a second opening and adding a pull down ladder/etc
) So i thought he would never know what i was doing
WRONG! He came into the house to use the restroom and when he walked in the living room he saw me roasting mini marshmellows on his chopsticks over my candle watching dr. phil- he just stood there dumbfounded and said, ummm nikki, are you pregnant? :lol3up: That's soo aweful!!!!
I was like ....ummm....no...i just wanted some smores
lol...great so now he thinks i'm pregnant (i'm not) because i was trying to roast marshmellows over a candle....it's not that bad! Geesh- can't a woman have a s'more without people assuming she's pregnant??????
i don't think i need an excuse for wanting anything containing chocolate..
HAHA.. Mat would just shake his head at me and keep going!

Originally Posted by Yosemite

I think I've had a deprived childhood. I've never had smores. How do you make them?
OMG... your SO missing out. You take a grahm cracker and brak it in half. Then you take a few squares of milk chocolae and set them on top of half the cracker. Then you toas a marshmallow and put that on the chocolate and add the other half of the cracker and let it al melt for a miute. You end up with a chocolate/marshmallow sandwich sort of...
http://atdpweb.soe.berkeley.edu/2130/ishieh/smores.jpg

And here's the little smore grill thingy...
http://lee.org/journal/journal%20100...es%20maker.jpg

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think I've had a deprived childhood. I've never had smores. How do you make them?
How Awful!
There are two versions that I know of. Both use really squishy melted marshmallows - preferably melted over a real flame- and I like them kind of burned on the outside! - then sandwiched with a square of chocolate between two squares of graham crackers. Now here is the healthy version - instead of graham crackers, use two alices of apples!
If you have never tried the apple slices, it is really, really good that way!

Any other versions out there?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

How Awful!
There are two versions that I know of. Both use really squishy melted marshmallows - preferably melted over a real flame- and I like them kind of burned on the outside! - then sandwiched with a square of chocolate between two squares of graham crackers. Now here is the healthy version - instead of graham crackers, use two alices of apples!

I'm sure the apples are good but to heck with the healthy version - I love graham crackers.

Your apples reminded me though that I love to melt Brie cheese and dip pear slices in it - mmmmmmm.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well if you have mini marshmellows (like i did today
) you take 4 little marshmellows and line them all up on your chopstick (or fork) and hold them over the candle (or fire, whatever you're using) and roast them for a second- when you start to see them catch fire a bit- blow it out (the outside will get a little grey-black-but don't scorch it!) for the mini s'mores - i took just one little square of ghram cracker for the bottom, one little square of hersheys milk chocolate (someone please remind me i'm lactose intolerant- my stomach is hurting sooo bad now!) and then one more square of ghram cracker- slide the marshmellows off the stick and onto the "sandwich" it's soooooooooo good!!!
For a regular sized smore- you use one 1/2 sheet of ghram cracker for the bottom, 3 squares of hersheys chocolate on top of that, one jumbo marshmellow on top of that and one more square of ghram cracker to top it off
/ I actually wound up liking using mini marshmellows today to make "mini s'mores" because i only had 3 little mini ones and my craving was gone so i didn't eat as much as i would have if i would have had the jumbo marshmellows

Originally Posted by twstychik

HAHA.. Mat would just shake his head at me and keep going!And here's the little smore grill thingy...
http://lee.org/journal/journal%20100...es%20maker.jpg
I wish Colin would do that and just not ask
When he came back in the house a minute ago i was putting away my smore ingredients and he just looked at me- i said, "don't ask"....
/ Ohhhh and i want that s'more grill!!!!

Oh, goodness that looks yummy alright. No wonder you were desperate to satisfy your craving.
Exactly!!! They're sooo good! Hehe you need to try making them sometime

Originally Posted by lnbandcats

How Awful!

That sounds really yummy!!!!I will have to try that sometime! Do you use apple, chocolate, and marshmellow on those?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had smores either
they just never looked good to me.

And using a candle is really a bad idea, where do you think the wax and chemicals in the candle go when you burn it? Into fumes the candle puts off, never mind the scented ones.

My FIL hates candles, he works in refrigeration/heating and has to put in a lot of air conditioning and heating units, and filters. He says whenever he has to change filters in homes where the people burn candles a lot that the filters are always really nasty, sometimes black looking.
Because of my sensitivity to scented stuff and DH asthma we won't burn candles or use anything that could set either of us off.
For those that use a lot of scented sprays, candles, incense, know that it is not healthy to breathe that stuff in. IMO it's as bad as second hand smoke.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another one for the microwave.

I used to cook them in the microwave and then put just the marshmallow on the graham cracker and dip the whole thing in Hershey's syrup... Vaguely the same thing right?

I've also used the fireplace and the burner on a gas stove

One time in high school my best friend and I got bored and went to the grocery bought smores stuff and sat in the parking lot making them over a bic lighter
Needless to say I burnt my thumb.

Mmmmm. Smores.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've never had smores either
they just never looked good to me.

And using a candle is really a bad idea, where do you think the wax and chemicals in the candle go when you burn it? Into fumes the candle puts off, never mind the scented ones.

My FIL hates candles, he works in refrigeration/heating and has to put in a lot of air conditioning and heating units, and filters. He says whenever he has to change filters in homes where the people burn candles a lot that the filters are always really nasty, sometimes black looking.
Because of my sensitivity to scented stuff and DH asthma we won't burn candles or use anything that could set either of us off.
For those that use a lot of scented sprays, candles, incense, know that it is not healthy to breathe that stuff in. IMO it's as bad as second hand smoke.
interesting. i have asthma too, but candles don't bother me- i use mostly soy based ones ( they don't smoke up or burn like the other ones do) and candle warmers (they heat up the candle, so you don't have to lite them and waste them.) We also use the nice filters in our home- the ones for allergens/etc and change them often- no problems here
- i used an unscented candle for my smores and they tasted just fine
burning a candle imo is no where near as bad as second hand smoke- i have an asthma attack every time i'm near someone smoking or a lit cigarette...but candles do not bother me.

Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Another one for the microwave.

I used to cook them in the microwave and then put just the marshmallow on the graham cracker and dip the whole thing in Hershey's syrup... Vaguely the same thing right?

I've also used the fireplace and the burner on a gas stove

One time in high school my best friend and I got bored and went to the grocery bought smores stuff and sat in the parking lot making them over a bic lighter
Needless to say I burnt my thumb.

Mmmmm. Smores.
a bic lighter?
glad i'm not the only one who loves s'mores!!! lol. i've never tried microwaving them (i was afraid the mashmellows would melt all in the microwave
but dipping it into melted hersheys syrup sure does sound yummy!!!!