Kinsey is 60 days preg today and has a discharge

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About 3 days ago I saw a brown discharge on my window sill after kinsey jumped off... I didnt think it was hers... Now today on day 60 her rear is a little wet and she has the same light brown discharge coming out.. not alot but a little. What is this??

*edit* she is groooming herself alot more the past few days.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sasha had a tiny amount of discharge since last Thursday night... and she just had her babies last night. As long as it doesn't have a bad odor, I'd say it's probably her just getting close to delivering!

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The discharge is an indication that Kinsey will give birth soon. Other indications are:

The signs of impending labor are:

*Her vulva will swell a little and turn pink around 2-3 days before.

* She may either want you to not leave her side even for a minute or not want to be near you at all.

*She will become restless, may go off her food and scratch at things, as if she is trying to make a nest. Provide several nesting places for her so she can choose one she likes when the time comes. If she chooses an awkward spot such as behind the sofa or in a cupboard, don't try to move her and the kittens, just make the area comfortable (clear out the cupboard and put towels or blankets down) and make it safe for the kittens by using rolled blankets around the nesting area to stop the kittens falling, wandering off or getting 'lost'.

*About 12-24 hours before the birth, she will lose her mucous plug. This is a clump of clear or pinkish mucous that blocked the birth canal.

*You will notice a clear, pinkish or slightly blood-stained discharge from her vagina.

*She may develop diarrhoea about 12 hours before the birth.

Good luck with your girl - I hope everything goes smoothly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

The discharge is an indication that Kinsey will give birth soon. Other indications are:

The signs of impending labor are:

*Her vulva will swell a little and turn pink around 2-3 days before.

* She may either want you to not leave her side even for a minute or not want to be near you at all.

*She will become restless, may go off her food and scratch at things, as if she is trying to make a nest. Provide several nesting places for her so she can choose one she likes when the time comes. If she chooses an awkward spot such as behind the sofa or in a cupboard, don't try to move her and the kittens, just make the area comfortable (clear out the cupboard and put towels or blankets down) and make it safe for the kittens by using rolled blankets around the nesting area to stop the kittens falling, wandering off or getting 'lost'.

*About 12-24 hours before the birth, she will lose her mucous plug. This is a clump of clear or pinkish mucous that blocked the birth canal.

*You will notice a clear, pinkish or slightly blood-stained discharge from her vagina.

*She may develop diarrhoea about 12 hours before the birth.

Good luck with your girl - I hope everything goes smoothly.
All of this is happening... i mentioned a few days ago on the windowsill she left a trail of icky dishcarge.. it was light brown. could this be the mucous plug? today the discharge is minimal and is the same light brown colour.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The mucous plug is more a 'glob' of mucous, not a trail. You may not see it as it can be passed in the litter tray or even eaten by the cat as she cleans her rear end.

Also I just wanted to let you know that cats can mate and become pregnant again as soon as a few days after giving birth, so it's important to keep Kinsey inside and your house escape-proof. Once the kittens are 8 weeks old, she can be spayed. The kittens can go to new homes once they are 12 weeks old.

sweetnsassy36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you're getting ready to have some little ones soon. Good luck and let us know when she has them

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaclyn4238

About 3 days ago I saw a brown discharge on my window sill after kinsey jumped off... I didnt think it was hers... Now today on day 60 her rear is a little wet and she has the same light brown discharge coming out.. not alot but a little. What is this??

*edit* she is groooming herself alot more the past few days.
If I were you, I would take her to the Vet, or at a minimum call your Vet and describe very carefully what the discharge you've been seeing looks like.

Discharge that is brown,especially if it is a solid color (not opaque), is not normal for a cat at 57 days of gestation. Sometimes the queens will spot a little, but it should be red or pink, since it is blood.

I don't want to scare you, but she could be in the early stages of pyometria, which is bascially a large scale infection of the uterus. The early symptoms are a brown discharge that progressively gets worse.
Often you won't notice right away because the queens are cleaning themselves alot.

Hopefully I am wrong, but you should play it safe rather than be sorry.

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update... still nothing but the discharge is now watery on and off and is pink in colour

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Life lesson.. ALWAYS listen to your gut instinct. I knew something wasnt right that is why I posted in the first place... to maybe see if i was being paranoid... but unfortunatly i wasnt. Last night at 10pm she just wasnt acting right... and i said i just know something is wrong, so off we went to the emergency vets...long story short she has Pyrtomethra and was never pregnant in the first place. It was in very advanced stages and she also had a 2 tumours on her kidneys. Kinsey did not make it Thank you to everyone who urged me to go to the vets esp. Kai Begals

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im so so sorry to hear about your little Kinsey, RIP sweet angel. play happliy over the bridge.