Sexing Pixie's babies - help still needed! More pics!

nicochick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Thanks for everyones help but I understand that the pics on the other thread aren't that great. I have taken a couple more:

Hope these are a little clearer?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will agree, tho the red seems to be too much of a circle. However, it doesn't seem to be any "extra" there either.

What color is the mom and dad?

BTW the other is a BROWN tabby- not blue
- that one looks like a boy.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't think anyone mentioned blue tabby?

I said grey tabby, which is what we call them in Australia as they tend to look like taterbug's tabby when they've grown.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well many people call blue cats "grey" whether its a grey tabby, grey/white, etc. That's why I corrected it

sully

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
big deal...y get all competitive over it! geez its a cat colour!!! btw golden kitty.... grammar correction - what colour ARE the mum and dad ... not what colour IS the mum and dad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicochick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll take it that we have a ginger girl and tabby boy - although sometimes when I look at tabby he looks more like a girl - will maybe post a clearer pic when I get chance! Mum is a tortie and I think she mated with 2 toms - a ginger and a tabby.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sully

big deal...y get all competitive over it! geez its a cat colour!!! btw golden kitty.... grammar correction - what colour ARE the mum and dad ... not what colour IS the mum and dad
oh come on lets not put this into a debate over grammar.

with the mum being a tortie this i think might be why you have a ginger girl. if im wrong someone please correct me as im still learning about gentics

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom gives color to the boys and girls, dad gives color to the girls only. The color gene is carried on the X, not the Y. Females are XX - Males are XY

With her mating with more then one, each kitten could have a different father. If the father of the red one is the red tom, then it could be either male or female, depending on whether he gave the kitten and X or a Y
. But if the father is the brown tabby, then the red kitten would be a male (color from the mom).

Are they the only 2 kittens she had? The red tabby and the brown tabby?

BTW Sully, if you want to learn about cats, then its also nice to learn the proper "color" names too.....

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so if i read it right , the father of the orange kitten was the one who gave her the colour? so meaning the father was indeed an orange or at least a tri colour because the kitten is female?
if the kitten had been male then it was deffently the mother because she has at least some orange in her coat.? and because the male can not give colour to male kittens, so pointing more towards the mum?
ok i think i just confused myself even more with this post lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicochick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, This is all really interesting about the genetics! I've learnt so much from this site! She has 3 kittens, the other is mostly black with a tiny bit of white, I don't know if she mated with another tom or if the colour came from her. The black kitty is female.

To confuse things even more, I just took tabby to the vets because she had a bit of a gooey eye - just a slight infection and have been given drops for this so nothing to worry about and the vet said she is a girl! He wasn't exactly convincing when he said this, but he had a good old look, from different angles and concluded that she is a girl!

I will try and post another pic, maybe from another angle just so we can all double check! Thanks for all your help anyway x

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you start having a female being mated with more then one male it can be very confusing in sexing the kittens.

IF the little red is a male, the mother would have given him the color as she's got both the red and black gene. The father could be either the red or the brown tabby as they only had to give him the sex Y gene to make him male.

IF the little red is a female, then both the mom and dad would have to give color - so the father would be the red and not the brown tabby.

Too bad you don't have a female kitten with both the red and black (or brown tabby) - then you could use her to tell the others.