Lesson Time - Ocicat vs Bengal

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not gonna "quote" the standards of the 2 breeds, but try to explain/show some of the differences so we all can learn. DH and I learned a lot in person comparing the 2 breeds side by side. If any of the Bengal breeders want to add stuff I missed, do so

General description:

Overall the Bengals are larger then Ocicats - some males are going 20 lbs. Average is about 14-15 for males, 10-12 for females. They are bigger boned.

Ocicats are usually 9-12 lbs for males (some can go up to 14) and 7-9 for females.

Body/Pattern/Coat description:

Both have long bodies and legs - the boning in a Bengal is heavier. One big difference in male Bengals (not sure if the females have it) is a "hump" on the back of the head/neck - between the shoulders. Its extra muscle. Ocicats don't have that. The Bengal breeder said its from the wild cat trait.

Coat is different - Oci's have a close laying, tight, silky coat. Bengals have a pelt which is a bit different - a little thicker and close laying. Both are silky soft.

Pattern - one of the important differences is Bengals have spotting that should be more horizonal looking rather then the Ocicat's bullseye pattern. Sometimes its a bit hard to tell.

http://www.labcorner.com/OciBengalBody.jpg

http://www.labcorner.com/OciBengalBody2.jpg

http://www.labcorner.com/OciBengalPattern.jpg

The spotting on an Ocicat should be round or thumbprint size and the pattern should look a little like a bullseye or the illusion of a bullseye.

The spotting on a Bengal can take a few different forms (all are just considered a spotted pattern in the ring - no breakdown) - round spots, rosettes, arrowhead, pawprint.

Also the Bengal has marbled patterns - but they should not be bullseye like in a classic tabby pattern. The idea is to create a more "wild" pattern that is horizonal.

Ocicats do come in other patterns but those cannot be shown. Because you have aby/siamese/classic tabby in the background, you can still get those patterns - ticked with very tiny spots, pointed with faint spotting, and the classic tabby pattern. Only the spotted pattern is found in the show ring.

Head description:

Ocicats have a longer head and squarer muzzle. The ears are taller and set a more on top. They also are more pointed with ear tufts (bonus if there, but not necessary). The eyes are more almond shaped.

Bengals have a much rounder looking head with full whisker pads. The ears are shorter, rounded on the tops and NO ear tufts. They are set more on the sides of the head. The eyes are bigger and rounded.

Bengal head

http://www.labcorner.com/OciBengalHeadB2.jpg

Oci head

http://www.labcorner.com/OciBengalHeadO.jpg

A few more notes:

We noticed a little differences in the markings on the head around the eyes - seems the Bengals have straighter "eyebrow" markings, while the Ocicats have a more curved stripe. Not a total indication of the breed, but enough to mention.

The color of the belly is whiter in a Bengal - doesn't seem to have as much spotting all the way down. The Ocicat's color is the same as the background color on the sides and the spotting goes all the way down and inside the back legs.

The pattern on an Oci's tail is a line on top with spots on the sides instead of stripes. The Bengal has very deep stripes (like a tiger) that go around the entire tail (or almost).

The stripes on the legs of an Oci are long stretched out spots or spots. The stripes on the legs of a Bengal look like tiger stripes.

Hopefully this will help us all tell some of the differences
Any other comments or additions are appreciated.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I don't know much about Ocicats (although I'm learning all the time, especially from you and Charlie!) but I know a fair bit about the Bengals.

First of all the individual variation in spots and pattern and colour is considerable, even among show quality cats that are listed as being the same colour (brown spotted bengals are brown spotted bengals no matter how much or little rufousing they have so they can go from a pale yellow to an almost auburn coat with black spots and still be brown spotted). The tip of the tail is always black though.

The Bengal cat that you got to borrow for the photo shoots is a fairly pale coloured one and one with a very desirable white underside (a trait from the wildcat). The whited belly is still quite rare although it's being actively worked on now and most Bengals have an underside that's paler than their coat colour but not quite white.

I did a headshot in a prison type shoot of my bengal girl to help show the head shape.

NB: This is a female cat. She's been mistaken quite often for a boy by people who don't know her.

She was sold to me as pet quality but she still has the not-large rounded ears with no tufts and big puffy whisker pads and a blunt muzzle with a strong chin in profile. She's also a very rufoused bengal. The orange colour on her chest there is her paler underside colour. Her back is a darker red-brown. She doesn't have the extremely wild head you can see in some bengals though with very large nocturnal eyes and striking white "goggles" around the eyes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also noticed (and mentioned) about the "tiger" striping on Bengals - its very pronounced IMO - much more "wilder" then the Oci - I looked at Charlie to help describe that on the legs - his is no where near tiger looking.

Thanks for more head shots

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just checked Simba at the back of the neck, and I didn't feel a hump. Maybe I'm not checking the right area. But I don't think he has a hump.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? You should at least feel the beginnings of the muscle - its right before the shoulders and going into the neck. The Bengal breeder had an entire male so maybe its more noticable in the unaltered males?

Look at the 2nd body picture - you notice its like extra muscle right behind the head into the shoulders. Maybe Nial can explain it better. Look at his males (Nail) - they all have it. It would be about in the area of the "scruff" where you really could not pick up the cat by its scruff on the neck on a full grown male.

http://www.bengalshowcats.com/Meridianstudspage.html

Loki really has it, Jack has it too but not as much as Loki.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Simba just turned 3 on the 27the of April. He was neutered at 4 months, but in truth he still looks like a kitten, like his growth was stunted or something. Maybe his didn't develop. I am feeling around the shoulder blades for this hump, and it's not there.

I do kind of see a hump on Loki, but not on all of his male Bengals.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they do, expect for the youngest ones - just more developed in the older ones. You'd have to ask Nial about yours and why he doesn't have it at his age.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for explaining the differences of these two cats. GoldenKitty In the photos you posted, is one of the cats an OCI and the other a Bengal? They look alike to me but the addy says OciBengal?

I've looked at those photos three times now and I can't see a difference. I guess its a good thing I am not a breeder.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I labled them all OciBengal just for my references. Charlie's the Oci, the other is a Bengal - he's the bigger cat as Charlie's still a kitten.

But you should be able to tell them somewhat apart. Especially the head - I have them separated with Bengal Head / Oci Head. On those addys - if you notice I put a B or an O at the end.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I borrowed Siggav's girl to compare side by side. Demetri is only 4 months old, but you can see the differences in the head, eyes and ears.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mia mouse

I've looked at those photos three times now and I can't see a difference. I guess its a good thing I am not a breeder.
Ocicat on the left, Bengal on right

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Simba has the hump you were talking about. I noticed it today, when his back was to me. It's not huge like Loki, but it's there, none the less.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Bengals are just 'chunkier'. I know it's not a proper term but I noticed Neko's 'chunkiness'. She was found wandering the streets and is apparently only pet quality - not a very good example of the breed. This is becasue she is most likely the result of backyard breeding.
But her owners love her to bits.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer to call them bigger boned - they have a long body. Usually "chunky" is used on shorter body cats - like persian, burmese, american - both Oci's and Bengals have that long body look

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Simba has a long body, and is really quite slender. There's not an ounce of fat on him. He's not too skinny or anything, just very slender. Of course Simba is really a small Bengal. He only weighs about 9 - 10 pounds.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just my two cents.

Here are a few other traits that are usually unique to bengals

1. Bengals roll their shoulders when they walk, like a leopard or panther.

2. Most bengals have glitter.

3. Some bengals have ocelli on the back of the ears.

4. The voice is quite unlike other cats. They trill and chirp.

5. Nearly all bengals have slightly longer legs in the back, giving them a wedge shaped appearance when viewed in profile. (some other breeds exhibit this as well)

6. Many bengals have what is known as a "primordial pouch". It's extra loose skin attached to the upper thigh, extending to the stomach. People think it makes them look like they have a pot belly, but there is no fat, it's there so they can extend their legs even farther in full sprint. Think cheetah.

7. Bengals are usually longer than other cats and some breeders have claimed that they have cats with an extra vertebrae. I can't confirm or deny that claim. Mine do not, that I'm aware of.

8. Most well bred bengals are pelted, versus having fur. It has a completely unique feel and look to it. Petting them is like touching velvet.

9. Bengals can tell time and they don't care if you want to sleep in on the weekend. They will insist you get up at the regular time to feed them.
Oh yeah..........all cats do that. Nevermind.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha with 6. there. Nikita has that pouch, sort of loose flapping slightly more furry than the rest of her skin from upper thigh to her stomach. I was paranoid she had somehow managed to get fat when it grew in properly and was really puzzled why on earth she was having a flabby belly like that. Especially since she was really muscular and fit and didn't seem to be overweight at all.

Then I googled around and learnt about the primordial pouch and felt much better. *blush*

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned the "pelt" coat - and you are right - its like a silky dense feeling. The Oci's have the short silky feeling without the density

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In total agreement with Nial...

1. I was surprised when I first saw that in person. To me, it seems like whenever my two move they are stalking. Also, although their back legs are longer, both Ares and Dreamer carry their hind quarters very low.

2. As I was told, You'll know it when you see it. One day I'm gonna get a really great photo of bengal glitter! Dreamer has more glitter than Ares.

3. No such luck, though it looks really wild on cats that do have it.

4. Aint that the truth! And with a siamese added into the mix, breakfast time sounds like a zoo! Cool thing is though, I can tell them all apart even when I cant see them 'speaking'.

5. Duke (siamese) is like this as well, but Duke carries his rear high, while the bengals carry theirs low.

6. Ares has it, Dreamer doesn't... Though Duke also has it and I was worried (like Siggav) that he was getting fat! LOL!

7. Very long. Its surprising how long they are! When I get home, I'll post pics of Ares stretched out.

8. It is very different. Ares has a great pelted coat. So soft and thick. Good thing he loves scratches behind the head!

9. See #4!

Also, most well bred bengals will have a really thick tail that is rounded/blunt at the end. Ares has a very thick tail. Especially when you touch it. Dreamers tail is more like Dukes. All in all, Ares has very good type. Dreamer has the better coat though. If I could combine their qualities, I'd have a showstopper!

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bck to the head thing, not all bengals have as round a head. I think the standard calls for a modified wedge with well pronounced whisker pads and a broad nose. I think Ares has a great head (though his ears aren't as nice as Nikitas) Hopefully I can get him to a show soon so the judges can confirm:

My two are both very long. Dreamer is actually a petite girl as far as bengals go. Both, though, are solid muscle and you can really tell when you feel/hold them.

I'll try later to get pics of Ares' tail and some better shots of his head as well.