Food Allergies and Going Raw

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Howdy ya'll. I haven't been on here in forever! I've come because I need some help!

Some of you know my cat Napolean has HORRIBLE food allergies. He's been on tons of different foods and he's allergic to them all. We've done raw diets, and homemade diets, and canned meats, and on and on. Just take my word for it, he's allergic to everything! He had a depomedrol injection in October of last year, he's been great up until last week and he has an ear infection [left ear] so he got another depo injection [Every 8 months ain't so bad!] because his ear is really inflamed and nothing helps, even Synotic drops or Zymox with Cortisone. He has been eating Salmon Meal & Brown Rice[Nature's Variety] for a month or two, before that Herring & Sweet Potato[California Natural]. The herring food he did well on, but it gave him and Pause REALLY stinky poop.

He's decided to be allergic to the Salmon Meal & Brown Rice. Mind you, history wise he seems to do best on fish, he ate Meowmix wet pouches for a long time.

So I've found some raw food recipes to try, I just have some questions for ya'll.

What Vitamin/Mineral supplement do those of you who do raw use? I need one that doesn't have yeast in it. The cat vitamins I have found are all chewable, and all have yeast in them. My vet suggested a children's vitamin?

My other question is, does anyone have expirience with similar protein reactions? Like you fed your cat beef, they were allergic, you gave them venison they were allergic?

Anyone feed cooked meat and get an allergic reaction, but you served it raw and had none?

I ask the questions about meat because I'm considering trying Buffalo as a protein, but he's had it canned and been allergic, it was the evanger's game meats, so it's cooked and processed. My other issue is that I don't want to waste my time[and his ear!] if because he's allergic to beef that makes him allergic to similar animals like buffalo, elk, etc.

I have a couple of Allergy Diet recipes, so I know what I'm going to use besides my protein, but I'm just trying to get all of my things together. I really hate going raw because I really don't have that much time in my life to make food for my cats, but the good things about it outweigh the fact that I'll have to make freezer space and that my cat will be eating better than I do!

Thanks for any advice!
Suzanne

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie is allergic to raw chicken but not cooked/...

Gigi is allergic to raw rabbit but I have never tried cooked .... she is also allergic to nearly all fish ... venison but can have elk ... HIGHLY allergic to lamb do to heat

DONT shoot but soy is a substitute protein as are lentils( Gigi is on lentils now with her beef )...

Have you tried sweet potato s???

Both do well with beef ..
Heat wise which you need to stay toward the neatural to cold meats ( oriental medicine)
Buffalo is nearly identical to beef ... beef liver is cool ... beef raw is cool

Lamb is close to venison HOT HOT HOT

Elk is simliar to beef ( that shocked me ) cool if raw

Most fish is cool when steamed or baked

I have recipes for cooked fish if you would like PM...DO NOT use RAW fish it is TOO RISKY ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So what do you mean by hot and cool?

What protein would you recommend starting with?

He's definitley allergic to beef, chicken, and turkey.

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can get elk try it ...or just cook fish ... I will explain hot vs cold in a bit

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

If you can get elk try it ...or just cook fish ... I will explain hot vs cold in a bit
Awesome... we'll start with elk then, I'm pretty sure I can find someone who has it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oriental medicine bases foods by how much heat is required to digest them... Lamb is hot which means it takes heat to digest but also creates heat ( ie inflamation)...

Beef is neutral ... which means it neither needs or add s any heat ...

Most fish is cold which means evan a heat gereating cooking like broiling only brings it to cool which is less than beef

raw or chilled food is going to be the most cooling

steaming is neutral

broiling gernerates the most heat

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

My other question is, does anyone have expirience with similar protein reactions? Like you fed your cat beef, they were allergic, you gave them venison they were allergic?
I don't feed raw, but wanted to put in my two cents on the similar meats question. My 17 year old cat has been allergic to beef for years. I have tried giving her lamb-based foods and a venison-based food, and she had immediate allergic reactions to both. She does best on fish, second best is poultry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

I don't feed raw, but wanted to put in my two cents on the similar meats question. My 17 year old cat has been allergic to beef for years. I have tried giving her lamb-based foods and a venison-based food, and she had immediate allergic reactions to both. She does best on fish, second best is poultry.
Your little one is a inflamation kitty...
... chicken is neutral to cool and fish is cool when using commercial cat food temps

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oriental medicine bases foods by how much heat is required to digest them... Lamb is hot which means it takes heat to digest but also creates heat ( ie inflamation)...

Beef is neutral ... which means it neither needs or add s any heat ...

Most fish is cold which means evan a heat gereating cooking like broiling only brings it to cool which is less than beef

raw or chilled food is going to be the most cooling

steaming is neutral

broiling gernerates the most heat
Very good to know! Thanks for sharing!