All my minnows died

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor fishies!! They have lived for quite some time. DH thinks it is because the filter needs changed(which I plan on getting one tomorrow!) I feel bad. I hope they didnt suffer.

RIP fishy fishy.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Some kinds of minnows need dirty brackish water, not clean water like other fish.
If you get any more minnows look up what kind they are and the care required for them.
http://fish.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/C...yprinidae.html
Apparently there's more kinds than I knew about.

Good luck if you decided to get anymore.
Really? I didnt know that. These were actually just bait that DH decided to let our daughter have.....
The 2 goldfish are still alive~yay!! Got the filter changed this morning as well.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The minnow that is most commonly sold/used as a bait fish in Kansas is the Fathead Minnow. They are a hardy fish that can tolerate low oxygen levels, heavy silt buildup, and pollution (which is bad in itself but even worse in a closed system such as a fish tank).

The other minnow that is also widely seen in Kansas bait shops is the Golden Shiner.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you lost your fish. We had some goldfish that we lost last year - they were in a huge tank that we got when our old one burst (which was very messy and left the poor fishies gasping), but the filter wasn't up to coping with the size of the new tank that someone donated to us - one night it was really hot weather and we had algae go nuts in the tank and the filter clogged and they all died. They'd been through moving house in buckets, a burst tank, gasping to breathe on the floor, living in a rubbermaid storage box for a few days, and had survived it all to have just 6 months in their new nice huge tank. I miss the fishies, they were getting nice and big too

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

The minnow that is most commonly sold/used as a bait fish in Kansas is the Fathead Minnow. They are a hardy fish that can tolerate low oxygen levels, heavy silt buildup, and pollution (which is bad in itself but even worse in a closed system such as a fish tank).

The other minnow that is also widely seen in Kansas bait shops is the Golden Shiner.
Yeah I thought thats what they were.....I wonder what caused them to die though. Now tonite I came home and our huge goldfish is dead.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had never thought about having minnows as pets! i just have baited hooks with them!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

i had never thought about having minnows as pets! i just have baited hooks with them!
LOL-yeah thats what they were supposed to be for~lol. But a certain 'lil girl wanted one for a pet, and then that one turned into 3
but thats ok....

And my other goldfish died today, I have no clue what happened.....

oogieone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Generally if you had all of them die at once it generally means one of a few things: something got in the water (this could be anything from too much food to some kind of air freshener and many more things) It was too hot or too cold (may a water change that was the wrong temp.) It is rare that they would all die at once just because the filter needed changing. Especially minnows because they are rather hardy fish and they aren't in anyway as dirty as a goldfish is... Anyhow, sorry for your loss...