Why have so few members joined our live TCS Skypecasts and chats?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124534 We've had two so far, on weekends, recordings of which are available. It's a lot of fun, and all you have to do is download a free program here: www.skype.com , which will allow you to take part, and contact Anne or GayeF by PM to have yourself added to the participants' list. If you want to join in the actual "talk show", all you need is a relatively inexpensive headset (headphones and microphone). Look for a "Skype-compatible" or "Skype-approved" one. Nobody is going to force you to talk, in case you just want to listen in. Until you have one, you can still chat with everybody, and pose questions or post comments.

I'd really welcome your comments, because I'm surprised at the low level of resonance so far.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I slept in that's why I didn't join.
and I was doing other stuff. maybe people are busy on the weekends? maybe we should talk about a time that is good for everyone?
when the first one started I was volunteering at a spay and neuter clinic all day.
I don't know I'd love to join the next one, though if I can make it!

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that it sounds like lots of fun...but with me, it was simple scheduling. I was already on my drive to work when the chats started

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I've listened to the first couple afterwards - the topic of kittens wasn't of immediate interest since I have three spayed females and there aren't colonies around here.

Also, maybe the sticky announcing the next one could have the date in the title? I lose track of time so quickly (lost the month of April somewhere).

However, future topics that would interest me - the recall (though this could be problematic with naming names), care of elderly cats, behavior issues that we see a lot of (peeing inappropriately and cleaning it), scratching, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I'd love to join too, but I don't have a mic
You can participate in the parallel live chat without a mike. As long as you have loudspeakers or headphones, you can listen to the broadcast. If you don't have either, you can still join the live chat.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124534 We've had two so far, on weekends, recordings of which are available. It's a lot of fun, and all you have to do is download a free program here: www.skype.com , which will allow you to take part, and contact Anne or GayeF by PM to have yourself added to the participants' list. If you want to join in the actual "talk show", all you need is a relatively inexpensive headset (headphones and microphone). Look for a "Skype-compatible" or "Skype-approved" one. Nobody is going to force you to talk, in case you just want to listen in. Until you have one, you can still chat with everybody, and pose questions or post comments.

I'd really welcome your comments, because I'm surprised at the low level of resonance so far.
How about PMing me some questions that I can use on KatKwiz to draw more attention to this? I have already had one question that I used to draw attention to it, but more would not hurt. These are the perfect types of questions that KatKwiz tries to use. I think it is like anything else, as more people become aware of it, more will join in. I am sure that over time this will be a very popular addition to The Cat Site. In my case I can say I have just been to lazy (or just forget) to go and purchase what I need to participate. I also think the time may be a problem. But I know that in the future I will want to join in on the fun and hear the voices of all the wonderful people here. Perhaps this can even be taken a step farther in the future and add live video. Gee, if we did that, I would have to shave and comb my hair.
Not to mention people would find out how old I am!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I've listened to the first couple afterwards - the topic of kittens wasn't of immediate interest since I have three spayed females and there aren't colonies around here.

Also, maybe the sticky announcing the next one could have the date in the title? I lose track of time so quickly (lost the month of April somewhere).

However, future topics that would interest me - the recall (though this could be problematic with naming names), care of elderly cats, behavior issues that we see a lot of (peeing inappropriately and cleaning it), scratching, etc.
Those are great suggestions.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

You can participate in the parallel live chat without a mike. As long as you have loudspeakers or headphones, you can listen to the broadcast. If you don't have either, you can still join the live chat.
I have speakers, but not a headset. I didn't know that you could still join, I'll have to the next time then!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
2 reasons, mainly... i have incredibly slow dial-up at home, so i usually post from work, where i can't download software... and i'm currently involved in a play, so i have only 2 nights a week where i'm not at the theatre.
sounds like fun - if i had broadband, or cable, or fios, i would definitely look into it!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

How about PMing me some questions that I can use on KatKwiz to draw more attention to this? I have already had one question that I used to draw attention to it, but more would not hurt. These are the perfect types of questions that KatKwiz tries to use. I think it is like anything else, as more people become aware of it, more will join in. I am sure that over time this will be a very popular addition to The Cat Site. In my case I can say I have just been to lazy (or just forget) to go and purchase what I need to participate. I also think the time may be a problem. But I know that in the future I will want to join in on the fun and hear the voices of all the wonderful people here. Perhaps this can even be taken a step farther in the future and add live video. Gee, if we did that, I would have to shave and comb my hair.
Not to mention people would find out how old I am!
PM sent. The headsets are pretty cheap. Jamie was in a snit last weekend and ripped up my plastic/foam rubber headset, so I decided to replace it with a fairly indestructible metal/cushioned vinyl one with a "mute option", and that was under $25, although it's "top of the line", and such things are more expensive in Europe than in North America. A comfortable headset will run about $10 in the U.S..

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I don't care much for "chat rooms" so that's why I don't participate.
I don't like chat rooms, either - I type too slowly. How about actually talking to participants?

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually can't get on the computer during the day time unless my mom isn't working like today (her computer)...so I am usually only on early mornings or late at night. Plus I am shy.

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use regular IRC-type chatrooms once in a while, but the actual seeing/hearing people and having them see/hear me was a little too skeevy for me. I'm not good with that much social interaction!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Sunday thing got me this time - Sundays are usually an in & out day for me and like usual, I couldn't commit because something came up. Noon is also a bad time as people go out for brunch etc by then.

TCS is generally slower on the weekends, maybe a weekday evening chat (I don't know how that would work for Anne with the time difference) would attract more people?

I also think kitten season will attract less people as a topic as so many of us while loving kittens, don't get into kitten rearing and so may skip it? Perhaps a more general topic (as mentioned - the recall) would get much more attention

Maybe also a thread on what exactly is needed - to put the info of the text chat room compared to speaking chat room and the fact that people can listen and don't need headsets as well as how skype works in general may help as I think some people are unwilling to download 'unknown' software and don't know that they don't necessarily have to speak etc.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaylacat

I usually can't get on the computer during the day time unless my mom isn't working like today (her computer)...so I am usually only on early mornings or late at night. Plus I am shy.
The broadcasts will probably always be on weekends, and don't worry about being shy - nobody is going to force you to talk/participate, as there's a "just listening" setting.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

The Sunday thing got me this time - Sundays are usually an in & out day for me and like usual, I couldn't commit because something came up. Noon is also a bad time as people go out for brunch etc by then.

TCS is generally slower on the weekends, maybe a weekday evening chat (I don't know how that would work for Anne with the time difference) would attract more people?

I also think kitten season will attract less people as a topic as so many of us while loving kittens, don't get into kitten rearing and so may skip it? Perhaps a more general topic (as mentioned - the recall) would get much more attention

Maybe also a thread on what exactly is needed - to put the info of the text chat room compared to speaking chat room and the fact that people can listen and don't need headsets as well as how skype works in general may help as I think some people are unwilling to download 'unknown' software and don't know that they don't necessarily have to speak etc.
Good points. Jana has just suggested another topic - overweight cats. For some reason, I can't reply to her PM right now. Time zones are a problem. Noon on the U.S./Canadian East Coast means early evening in the Middle East and Europe, and the wee hours in Asia/Oceania. Those living in western North America have to get up early, too.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also on dial up and my computer is really slow.Plus, I don't think it is really anything that I'd be interested in.
I chat with Nita and my family on the weekends, when I'm not doing anything with the 4 kids.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely be interested in overweight cats but then if I am home I would listen to you guys chat about anything.
Weekends are too unpredictable for me to say I will be there though