7 week old kitten sniffs my hand, backs up as if I smell, and that's it :(

cat lover in md

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new here, so before I post in behaviors, I just wanted to say hello. I am owned by two adult cats, Soda and Boris, and two newly acquired kittens who should still be with their momma, but the owner was giving them away quickly and as much as I would like for them to have stayed with their cat-momma, the previous owner was adamant about having them gone asap, so I am a momma to Apples and Cinnamon as well, who I have no idea what the sex is, but after a vet visit on 5/12, I hope to know...

These are some snap shots of Soda, my sweetie I got from a college student whose mom rescues ferals. She was shy at first, but is really warming up to me, she needs braces she has an overbite.

Anyway, I really wanted to ask about my two new kitties so please see my posts under behaviors. Thanks

or maybe you all can help, why does one of my kittens sniff my hand then back away from me as if I stink? I am really perplexed and saddened. The other one is pretty good [for a 7-week old!!] any help you could provide would be great...I am going to cross post this same intro. Thanks

this is my 2.5 year old...

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share....tate=RETRIEVED

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the risk of sounding mean (please, forgive me if I do) perhaps you do stink to the kitten.
One of my cats falls over herself to get away from me if I'm wearing nail polish. Lotions or soaps could cause this too. Try changing these items up and see if that helps.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your adult cat is beautiful. She has markings like one of my cats. I think what your kitten is doing is just part of being really young and he/she will come around. One of my cats was parted from his mother far too young as well. I got him when he was 4 weeks old. I had to keep him in a small area that I set up with boxes because the little guy was so scared if he could he would run under whatever furniture he could get to and stay there. I would have to move the furniture to get him out so he would eat and just so I could check on him to make sure he was okay. He came around, he still hides when someone he doesn't know is around but he is fine with people he knows and my other cat. His circumstances were different though his mother lost him when she was moving the kittens and then wouldn't accept him back, she had them outside. A lot of people have the idea that as soon as a kitten can eat regular food they are ready to leave, it's just ignorance and the kittens pay the price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover in md

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LOL!!!!!!! I thought about this!!! And said as a last resort, I was going to call the former owner and ask about any type of perfume/scent she might have worn used to get the kitten used to me!!!! ackkkkK!!! that is sooooo funny.

Are my half persians racist? [they were white, I am black] It is sooooo funny how the kitty sniffs, looks at me, and then backs up as it to say, "noooooooooooo" LOL!!! Please no one get offended, humor is the best medicine!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover in md

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

Your adult cat is beautiful. She has markings like one of my cats. I think what your kitten is doing is just part of being really young and he/she will come around. One of my cats was parted from his mother far too young as well. I got him when he was 4 weeks old. I had to keep him in a small area that I set up with boxes because the little guy was so scared if he could he would run under whatever furniture he could get to and stay there. I would have to move the furniture to get him out so he would eat and just so I could check on him to make sure he was okay. He came around, he still hides when someone he doesn't know is around but he is fine with people he knows and my other cat. His circumstances were different though his mother lost him when she was moving the kittens and then wouldn't accept him back, she had them outside. A lot of people have the idea that as soon as a kitten can eat regular food they are ready to leave, it's just ignorance and the kittens pay the price.
I am glad I got two, at least they can learn from each other... It's not like they're feral. Hopefully, with time and me constantly changing the litterbox, feeding them, a slight rub, here and there, and seeing me affectionate with the sibling will teach the little snubber I ain't so bad

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cat lover in MD

I am glad I got two, at least they can learn from each other... It's not like they're feral. Hopefully, with time and me constantly changing the litterbox, feeding them, a slight rub, here and there, and seeing me affectionate with the sibling will teach the little snubber I ain't so bad
I got two kittens at about 4-5 months (quite a lot older than yours!) and Pekoe was so friendly and outgoing with me right from the start, and I really think he helped Nigel to accept me. For the first few weeks Nigel would just stare at me when Pekoe and I would snuggle, then eventually he would come on my lap too, but only if Pekoe was there first. It was as though Pekoe was his protection/reassurance that I was not going to harm them. Now Nigel is still a bit timid, but a whole lot better, at least with me! I really think that, if adopted on his own, it would have taken Nigel a whole lot longer to adjust to me. So yes, I do think your other kitten will have a positive influence on your timid one.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cat lover in MD

I
or maybe you all can help, why does one of my kittens sniff my hand then back away from me as if I stink?
When I brought Persi home he was also seven weeks old. My wife and her four sisters all live in this area and all came over to see Persi. Persi acted this same way towards one of my sister-in-laws and we finally determined it was finger nail polish. Persi also acted the same way towards those that wore a certain type perfume. I have heard this basic question answered quite a few times from women that wore various types of cosmetics. So, if you use your hands to apply cosmetics, this would be my first suspicion.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And he may just be sniffing to see which other cat you last petted, to be sure he recognizes the smell - he wasn't sniffing you to be petted himself to begin with, only checking you out, but if he's at all afraid of the other one, that could also explain it.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
one of my friends has a cat that is hilarious around nail polish or remover. He gags and gags like he's going to cough up something gy-normous. it's a hoot.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, once you know he's going to be OK, I guess it could be. Not that you'd make him sniff nail polish remover or anything. Poor kit.

Could your kitten be smelling the other cats on you?

Sometimes they just want to sniff your fingers as a greeting, and then go their own way...

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

That's funny?
yeah, it's funny. we don't chase him around with the stuff, just think his reaction is funny. He has to be nosy and smell it, then gags and looks at us like "ewwww" then lays a comfy distance from our smelly beauty supplies.