Nervous

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I start my new job today and I am so nervous. This is my first job not working with food. It's only being a cashier at Zellers, but I am still nervous. I work 5-9 tonight and tomorrow.

I am really hoping it goes well, I really need money.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! It won't be as bad as you think. Its always nerve wrecking to start somewhere new!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just remember to smile! A smiling cashier always makes it easier to part with your money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Good luck! It won't be as bad as you think. Its always nerve wrecking to start somewhere new!
I keep telling myself that. I keep thinking its going to be so bad, and then I am like well its always hard to start a new job but everyone says cashier is an easy job. The thing I am most worried about is having to speak over the intercom thingie to the whole store, but I am sure I will get used to it. I keep thinking that I am going to do something stupid. She didn't really tell me much. She said wear black pants and dark shoes, so I keep thinking my pants aren't right and my shoes are wrong. I only have black/white, black/pink or black/red shoes and no money to buy any new ones until I get paid.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your shoes aren't exactly what they are looking for, I'm sure they will understand that before you can get a new pair you need to get that paycheck! I know what you mean about the intercom. I had a job where I had to radio a tour boat occassionally when it would out and I was terrified! But, after the first few times it was nothing. Besides, just remember most of the customers tune the intercom out anyway.

You'll do great!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was not nearly as bad as I thought. There was 5 of us getting trained.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad everything went well. About the shoes, won't they give you a store discount? Zellers has some nice shoes.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

I'm glad everything went well. About the shoes, won't they give you a store discount? Zellers has some nice shoes.
I get 10% to start. Apparently they really aren't picky about much. Half of the people working were wearing white shoes. They are really laid back there.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we both live in Ontario - want me to come to your Zellers and be a great customer and rave about you to your boss???

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol that would be nice.
I currently don't even have a boss, they are in the process of changing everything around.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the job! And don't let the intercom scare you -- the trick with that sort of thing is to take it a little slower than normal conversation. By spacing your words out a bit, you make your announcements much easier to understand... and you also give yourself plenty of time to enunciate, so you won't stumble over your words.

Be sure to smile as you speak! The smile will be audible in your voice, and you'll feel more relaxed, too.

And as in all public speaking: ACT confident and you'll SOUND confident... and pretty soon you'll BE confident. Good luck!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Tonight went so much better. I was on cash by myself for about 50 minutes. They let me be the last cashier working tonight, which to me seems good. There was 5 new people that started yesterday with me and one girl who has worked there for a while. Most of the night we were re-organizing easter candy that they are trying to get rid of. We ended up getting these things called speeding tickets for doing that really good. A speeding ticket means you did something fast and did a good job on it. If you get 10 then you get a pin.