Weird Behavior- Vet Appt Advice Needed

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this fits best here or in Health & Nutrition...

Leo has been acting really strangely today. He is frantically cleaning himself, panting, and racing around. It seems like he feels like he has something on him. We had fleas in the fall, but they're on Revolution now. I flea-combed him and didn't see anything. I gave him a bath, but that hasn't helped either. He went in his crate, and is cleaning & scratching in there right now.

My other cat, Lilly, is acting normal. I don't know if something is just going on with Leo, or if she just isn't as bothered by whatever it is.

I just called the vet, and the first appt. is at 8:50 tonight. I booked it.

Do you think I should take him in earlier without an appt & pay the extra $20, or wait until tonight?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have the option to walk in for an extra $20 I think I would. It sounds like he's really stressed about whatever is going on.

Is there anything he could've gotten into? Does he go outside? Any change in diet, or litter, etc?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't think of anything he could have gotten into.

He does not go outside at all. The screened window was cracked open yesterday, but I've closed it. I don't know if something got in that way.

Starting Saturday, I've been mixing a little (probably less than 1/8 c) of Innova Evo into their regular dry food. Other than that, I can't think of anything that's changed.

ETA: No change in litter.

He's still in his crate cleaning himself, although he's trying to nap, but then he has to wake up to frantically lick himself again.

Maybe I will go ahead and take him in early. It's such an ordeal with him- last time, he hypervenilated on the way there, and peed himself in the crate on the way back! Sigh! He's definitely overly dramatic about the experience (of course, Lilly is perfectly calm about it all! They are total opposites.).

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I would probably take him in earlier if he is still quite frantic about it. If he seems to be calming down I would wait but not if it is stressing him out too much. It could be anyting that is irritating him but the vet needs to find out what the problem is. I hope all goes well.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might see if this could be moved to the Health forum. An 1/8c isn't much, but there could be something in the EVO that he's hyper sensitive too.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took him in. They couldn't find anything abnormal. He doesn't have any fleas, ear mites, or other bugs. He doesn't have a bladder infection or any kind of urinary or anal gland issue.

She didn't think the addition to Innova would be a problem, especially if he's eating, drinking and using the litter box appropriately, and he isn't throwing up.

The vet thought maybe he has allergies, although his skin doesn't look irritated.
She gave him an allergy shot just in case.

She thought most likely was that he heard, smelled, or saw something outside that freaked him out, and that is a behavioral response.
She gave me some Valium I can use if he doesn't calm down, but I think I'm more likely to try some Feliway first.

So, still something of a mystery.
I'll post again if I figure anything out.

Thanks, beandip and Althekitty, for your replies. I appreciate it!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless him, I am glad that it was nothing serious. It is concerning with situations like this. I think that the allergy shot is good though so as to avoid any problems just in case. My sisters cat had a similar issue but she was actually allergic to something, really scratching, she went to the vet and had the shot but the allergy had come on quite quickly and the kitty ended up having sore and red skin with patches where fur was scratched away and lost a lot of weight. Kitty is fine now but it was worrying. That is why getting to the vet a soon as possible is the best thing to do imo. I'm pleased it was probably more a behavioural issue tho. Good for you that you were so quick to sort it out!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please believe one thing (coming from someone who's spent her working life in teaching hospitals) and that is that ANYone can be allergic to anything in any amount starting at any time in their lives. To me the answer is obvious - stop the Innova, the coincidence (in light of no other obvious culprits) is too great.

millymolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could he have been sprayed by another cat or gone through bushes where another cat has sprayed. If so it could have made him a bit frantic and scared.
Feliwell calmed my two females down so that's a good idea.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Please believe one thing (coming from someone who's spent her working life in teaching hospitals) and that is that ANYone can be allergic to anything in any amount starting at any time in their lives. To me the answer is obvious - stop the Innova, the coincidence (in light of no other obvious culprits) is too great.
I had already made this decision. I still need to sit down and compare the Innova Evo label to those of Nutro & Blue Spa, which they have been eating with no problem, to see what the differences- and possible culprit- could be in Innova Evo. I was trying to find other things they could eat that might be better and possibly safer given the recall situation. Thanks, Larke.

Originally Posted by millymolly

Could he have been sprayed by another cat or gone through bushes where another cat has sprayed. If so it could have made him a bit frantic and scared.
Feliwell calmed my two females down so that's a good idea.
Both my cats are indoor only, so unless a cat outside managed to spray in a 6 inch crack my window 4 ft off the ground...

That being said, doesn't mean he didn't see or smell a cat that was outdoors.
Millymolly, I've heard great things about Feliway, and will probably pick some up later today. Thanks for your input.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I just got home after being gone a few hours, and Leo came racing from the bedroom to hide under the couch again.

I can't tell if he's just super-mad at me from the torture of going to the vet today, or if there's still something wrong. I'm going to get his favorite treats and try to coax him out so I can figure out which it is.

This is so frustrating!

Just needed to vent; thanks!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend went thru that with one of her cats. After pursuing a lot of different alternatives, they guessed it to be some type of dust mite that irritated him. It hit him at about 18 months old - some cats don't develop allergy symptoms until they are a little older. He is long hair, so they shave and bathe him on a regular basis and it controls his symptoms.

How old is Leo and did they do a skin scrape to look for microscopic parasites?

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My friend went thru that with one of her cats. After pursuing a lot of different alternatives, they guessed it to be some type of dust mite that irritated him. It hit him at about 18 months old - some cats don't develop allergy symptoms until they are a little older. He is long hair, so they shave and bathe him on a regular basis and it controls his symptoms.

How old is Leo and did they do a skin scrape to look for microscopic parasites?
He turned 1 on March 7th, and he's a SH tabby. I know she combed him, but I don't think they did a skin scrape.

After taking him out from under the couch and putting him in his crate with his wet food, he ate. I grabbed him when he jumped out and took him in the small bathroom with me. He settled on the floor by my feet, so I picked him up and put him on my lap. He sat peacefully, so I carried him to the couch, where he's still sitting. He seems sleepy- it's been quite a day!

Still not sure if he's okay and just upset/tired from the vet or if it's still whatever started all this. I hate not knowing!

If he's not acting normal in a day or two, I'll take him back to the vet and ask about a skin scrape.

Thanks for the input; I appreciate it!