Flushable litter

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used a flushable litter such as Arm & Hammer? I know there's another brand. Even with scooping twice daily, I seem to have an odor problem. When I scoop I bag the litter and bring it to work to put in the dumpster so it doesn't smell up the garbage can. A flushable product would be so nice. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't like the flushable litter - never have. IMO you can still have problems if you flush too much. Not that big of a deal to bag up litter in 2 bags and put in the trash.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, if your plumbing is that old and not updated, its not a wise idea to use the flushable litter. Perhaps every once in awhile might be ok. But don't make it a habit

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I agree, if your plumbing is that old and not updated, its not a wise idea to use the flushable litter. Perhaps every once in awhile might be ok. But don't make it a habit
yeah, that. As much as I love the idea of flushing, I just know it would cause massive problems in my old house.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use chicken food!
For the kittens, I use chicken pellets and for my cats, I use chicken crumbles. It's environmentally friendly, biodegradable and flushabe. Although, if you have 3 or more cats, I'd advise against flushing, as that's a lot of wet/poopy litter to flush.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

Has anyone used a flushable litter such as Arm & Hammer? I know there's another brand. Even with scooping twice daily, I seem to have an odor problem. When I scoop I bag the litter and bring it to work to put in the dumpster so it doesn't smell up the garbage can. A flushable product would be so nice. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
I have never even considered using flushable litter. I use little air tight bags that I scoop the litter in to, tie them with a twist top and they emit no smell whatsoever. It also seems like a lot easier than carrying the litter to the toilet to flush.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

I use chicken food!
For the kittens, I use chicken pellets and for my cats, I use chicken crumbles. It's environmentally friendly, biodegradable and flushabe. Although, if you have 3 or more cats, I'd advise against flushing, as that's a lot of wet/poopy litter to flush.
Me too! I use the Family Farm brand sold at Walmart, like $8 for a 50 pound bag of Egg Layer Mash. It's GREAT! Clumps, you can sift easily, and it does a great job of controlling odor. Not as dusty as the regular scoopable litter, the dust settles right down and doesn't float for an hour. No scent, so the kitties don't turn up their noses at it.

And when you scoop, the whole thing can go to the compost pile, since the feed is natural as well. No mess for the garbage, and you get good compost in a year or so.

lechatnoir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried the feline pine? It almost dissolves when they pee on it...I find it absorbs odors better, too.And it is flushable! the prob is not all kitties like it

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually tried to flush some of the so-called flushable litter once and almost got a stopped-up toilet so I now just bag, tie up and toss.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried flushable litter to be of any help. Since we rent, we don't want to stop the drains up. Plus here in CA, you can no longer flush litter down the drains because of a new enviromental law. So it's back to scoop, bag and throw in the trash.