A little advice please

kala21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cats pregnant im 100% sure, her belly is huge and her nipples are swollen and pink, she`s eating for ten and sleeping alot. Im not sure how far along she is, but i dont think she can have long left.

The thing im worried about is where she will have them, i`ve put 4 boxes around the house but she wont go near any of them, she either sleeps on my sons bed or in the middle of the living room floor or on top of the stairs.
If she has them somewhere other than the box do i move them or wait till she`s finished. Another thing im worried about is how my other cat will react, she`s a very nervy cat so she will probably be scared of them but what if she thinks there little mice and tries to get to them.
As you can tell i havent experienced a cat with kittens before so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
kala

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a semi-feral Siamese that is currently pregnant. While she is very affectionate and mostly very calm, she does spook at a lot of things. So to keep her and her babies safe, I have a large dog crate for her to have them in, with her food/water, litter, and a box with towels in it. The crate will keep her confined so that she'll have them in a safe place, and will keep the babies confined as they start walking around and getting into trouble! lol.
To get her used to it, I started about a month ago leaving her in it at night and if I left the house (*maybe* an hour a day). She loves her crate and her box now and even though she has freedom during the day, she goes right back to her box for naps.
As for your other cat, can you keep the expecting momma in a seperate room where your other cat does not have access?

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I have a semi-feral Siamese that is currently pregnant. While she is very affectionate and mostly very calm, she does spook at a lot of things. So to keep her and her babies safe, I have a large dog crate for her to have them in, with her food/water, litter, and a box with towels in it. The crate will keep her confined so that she'll have them in a safe place, and will keep the babies confined as they start walking around and getting into trouble! lol.
To get her used to it, I started about a month ago leaving her in it at night and if I left the house (*maybe* an hour a day). She loves her crate and her box now and even though she has freedom during the day, she goes right back to her box for naps.
As for your other cat, can you keep the expecting momma in a seperate room where your other cat does not have access?
I wish my puppy was like that! lol, but ya, if your cat is like that, good advice!
Good luck! Sorry I have no advice.. But I am sure you will get more! My cat had hers in her doghouse, but I wouldn't suggest it. But the crate is wonderful!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Kala and welcome to TCS - your kitty sounds such a peach and I'm sure she is just gonna been fine when the time comes for her to have her babies
bnwalker has already given some great advise.

You mention you have a few boxes for her to nest in - maybe this might be confusing her
if you put one in a quiet place and keep your other cat out, then she will soon pick this has her birthing box
Also if you havent already done put some towels in the box, this will make it cosy for her and her babies when she has them

Have you had chance to have your cat checked over by the vet, they will be able to give you an idea when they might be due

keep us posted !

lil'misskisses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome.

There are some great links in this thread here which will give you an idea on what to expect as she gets closer to having her kittens http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74659

If possible I would try confining her to 1 room only as this will help her feel more safe and secure.

My cat Boo has just had kittens and I wont allow access at all to my other cat Gizzy. He is kept away from the babies most of the time unless I am with him. You never quite know how they are going to react to other cats/kittens in the house so its better to be safe than sorry. If she has a room of her own that will also help keep your other cat out of the way.

As said above it may be a good idea to get her checked out by the vet. As well as being able to give you an estimate (and i use that word very lightly as its hard even for the vets to tell) on when she is due and the ammount of kittens she could have they will also be able to check out her general health for you.

Its a good idea also to put mum an a good quality kitten food from now until she has finished feeding the kittens. It takes a lot out of them having to care for their babies and they need that little extra that they can get from the kitten food.

Im sure all will be ok. Look forward to seeing pics of your cat and when the time comes your babies too.

Emma x x

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Kala and welcome to TCS.

You have recieved some good advice from the other posters. I just wanted to let you know that cats can mate and become pregnant again as soon as a few days after giving birth, so it's important to keep your cat inside and your house escape-proof. Once the kittens are 8 weeks old, she can be spayed. The kittens can go to new homes once they are 12 weeks old.

The signs of impending labor are:

*Her vulva will swell a little and turn pink around 2-3 days before.

* She may either want you to not leave her side even for a minute or not want to be near you at all.

*She will become restless, may go off her food and scratch at things, as if she is trying to make a nest. Provide several nesting places for her so she can choose one she likes when the time comes. If she chooses an awkward spot such as behind the sofa or in a cupboard, don't try to move her and the kittens, just make the area comfortable (clear out the cupboard and put towels or blankets down) and make it safe for the kittens by using rolled blankets around the nesting area to stop the kittens falling, wandering off or getting 'lost'.

*About 12-24 hours before the birth, she will lose her mucous plug. This is a clump of clear or pinkish mucous that blocked the birth canal.

*You will notice a clear, pinkish or slightly blood-stained discharge from her vagina. If the discharge is greenish or brown, she may have an infection or a kitten that has died in-utero and she needs to see a vet ASAP.

*She may develop diarrhoea about 12 hours before the birth.

Good luck with your girl - I hope everything goes smoothly.