Cookware and Sharp Stuff

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For lookingglass

Since we've shared our China, what cookware and cutlery does everyone have? After years of using *crap*, I succumbed to the influence of Food Network and bought a set of Calphalon and put together my own set of Wüsthof knives - a 7" Santoku chef knive, a 6" cleaver, a 5" tomato knife, a little paring knife, and a pair of kitchen shears (all stored in the coolest knife block ever.

I'm so excited to have this stuff, I actually LIKE to cook now!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alice_curiouser

For lookingglass

Since we've shared our China, what cookware and cutlery does everyone have? After years of using *crap*, I succumbed to the influence of Food Network and bought a set of Calphalon and put together my own set of Wüsthof knives - a 7" Santoku chef knive, a 6" cleaver, a 5" tomato knife, a little paring knife, and a pair of kitchen shears (all stored in the coolest knife block ever.
I have fallen in LOVE with Le Creuset cookware! It's amazing and worth every penny you will spend. In the fall I was able to scrape enough together for this:
http://www.chefsresource.com/lecreus312qt1.html

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have a few calphalon pans we LOVE. not an entire set though. we just replace the old stuff as needed.

our knives are a fine set of 4 Star Henkels that we got for a wedding gift. my sister who is a foodie & cooking fan is quite envious.
DH does most of the cutting with sharp knives. i take too long to chop things. i swear those knives are the nicest cooking related thing in our kitchen.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I guess my Ginsu knives (as seen on TV!) aren't so impressive any more now, are they?
But they can cut through a tin can.... should I ever need to cut through a tin can, that is...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lookingglass, I am GREEN, as green as that Le Creuset french oven that I covet. I would settle for just a small cassarole dish. They're SO pretty, it's good to know they're worthy of the hype, too.

Oooh, Henkels, nice! I chop slowly too, mostly because I'm afraid of cutting off a finger!

Pekoe & Nigel - do they really cut through a tin can? I always wonder about the stuff "as seen on TV", some looks so cool, but the one thing I tried (Safety Can!) was not so cool.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I many mainly Calphalon cookware and my mom's Revere wear from the 60's (that got me through college too). Just bits and pieces of what I actually use.
I have a Le Cresuet knock off from TJ Maxx that works great but I would like the real thing. As for knives all Wusthoff probably about 10 of them-the Santoku knives are the best!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... that alaskan knife is pretty
looking! Very cool!

We have a hodgepodge of stuff. Most of it's hand-me-downs from out parents. Our favorite stuff is the cast iron collection we have including a very big (something like 24" x 12") griddle. They are all old and evry well seasoned pans.

eta: Our usual cookware is a set of 18/10 stainless steel pans from JCPenny home store. We're currently looking for a good pepper mill so if any one has suggestions. We'd really like one w/ ceramic insides.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been steadily adding to my collection since J and I moved into our apartment in July 2005, but my absolute favourite piece is my Wüsthof chef's knife, which my future in-laws gave me for my birthday last summer. When I first got it, I made J buy a bunch of veggies for me to chop up, just so I could use it!
I would love to get more Wüsthof knives, but so far I just have the one.

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made J buy a bunch of veggies for me to chop up, just so I could use it!
Hahahahahaha!!! Same here... the cukes are the best; I can't believe how it just slides through with almost no pressure.

Lookingglass, that Alaskan knife is COOL!

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow I feel like a loser!! I love to cook especially experiment! But my most expensive cooking utensils are from Pampered Chef. I love that stuff its awesome plus it helps keep Katy occupied cuz those are the only spatulas she will play with. Ive tried buying her a cheapy set from the dollar store and that just doesnt work! But I couldnt live without my stone cookware from P.C. Its amazing for baked dishes but a pain to clean cuz you cant use soap!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WhosaMyHercules

Its amazing for baked dishes but a pain to clean cuz you cant use soap!
Their pan scrapers work pretty well to clean them. Also, they should become discolored... it means they are becoming well seasoned and the better the seasoning the less things will stick.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I love my Cooks Essentials cookware! I had calephon, and I hate to say this because many of you love it, but I was not impressed! I do have terrible knives and really should invest in q good set. I believe that I mentioned on another thread that I have an electric mandolin and I use it every day. It is so fast and safe and I can chop, julienne, dice, slice, etc and never touch the fruit or the veggies!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a really nice set of pots. 18/10 stainless steel. Govenor's Table brand...similar to Logastina. They are all stainless steel so I can go from stove top to oven.

I do need to get some new knives though. Mine are old and cheapies from years back.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Pekoe & Nigel - do they really cut through a tin can? I always wonder about the stuff "as seen on TV", some looks so cool, but the one thing I tried (Safety Can!) was not so cool.
You know, I've never actually tried. What in the world was I thinking?
I actually didn't buy them off the infomercial, but from a housewares store (though they DID have the large red sticker informing me it was "As Seen on TV"). I'm pretty happy with them, though I'm sure if I used any high-end knives I'd realize the difference. I've only had them for about 6 months, so I can't comment on the longevity but the quality seems good, especially as they're reasonably priced.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's off to find a can to cut! I will report on my findings later.

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe there's something wrong with me, but cutting a can in half would have been the FIRST thing I would have done!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been redoing what we had for pots and pans (I came to the marriage with some corning ware - blue flower pattern - and some Revere Ware from the 1980's), so that we now cook either with Calphalon or All Clad (stainless - go here to see more about this variety of All Clad: http://www.all-clad.com/collections/...less-Steel.htm).

For knives we are just working with what dh bought me 2 years ago -made by Furi, they are Coppertail knives sold under Rachel Rays name - her Rachael Ray Coppertail East/West Knife Set with Bamboo Case, a 5 inch and a 7 inch knife. I've never used anything so sharp, and realize there are better knives out there, we just need to 1) do more research 2) have the money! You can see them here:http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=8583

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I many mainly Calphalon cookware and my mom's Revere wear from the 60's (that got me through college too). Just bits and pieces of what I actually use.
Don't EVER give that Revere Ware away!! I had a 20 year old set that I sold on e-bay a few years back and got more for it than what I purchased it for originally. Vintage Revere Ware sells like hotcakes on e-bay.

I used the money to buy a set of Wolfgang Puck pots (from hsn.com) - almost professional grade and far cheaper. I have Tramontina fry pans. My DH has been buying me some huge stock pots from a professional kitchen supply store that are unrecognizable names but absolutely awesome. I'd put them against Le Cresuet and they are a fraction of the price. For cutlery, I have a huge set of Cutco.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cutting the can was hard work. I guess it got through the surface of it okay, it just took an awful lot of sawing. I didn't even make it all the way around the can, I just did a bit and realized that it'll take more effort than I was willing to put into the experiement.
So I'll give the Ginsu good marks for food-cutting, bad marks for can-cutting.

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but cutting a can in half would have been the FIRST thing I would have done!
You know, it was my first thought after I bought them, but I was moving in a few months and wasn't going to take them out of the box until I was in my own place... and then the whole idea got kind of lost along the way. Thank you for reminding me. I guess now I have to stop bragging about my knives that can cut through cans, not that it was much to be proud of in the first place