What kind of bite is this? Maybe spider bite??

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 seperate spots~one on my right leg and the other on my left thigh. Dh says they need to be checked out! I know they are itching and hurting like crazy. Can a spider bite more than once though?? Please someone tell me something about spiders!!

Heres a few pics as well.(dont think they are too graphic)

Thigh:

this is my shin area

Any ideas???

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spiders really don't bite that much, unless you have brown recluse or black widow there. Maybe you do, come to think of it. Have you been outside or inside in dark places you don't go much like the corner of the basement?

How much pain? Like, your leg is on fire and you're screaming pain? Or like, hey, that's annoying pain?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you live in an area where the bite could possibly be from a brown recluse spider than go to the doctor. Their bites can be dangerous.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a brown recluse bite on my hand. Those don't look like brown recluse bites. Recluse bites look like a bullseye. White, red, and purplish-blue in the center where it starts to to become necrotic. They are extremely painful. They gave Dilaudid in the ER for my recluse bite. The sooner you have it looked at and treatment started (if needed) the better your outcome will be.

Here's what my recluse bite looked like 48 hours after the bite (I sought treatment within 6 hours of being bitten - Keflex and Dapsone)

Notice the dark purple area of purple necrotic tissue (dead tissue) in the center of the wound.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in an area where we deal with brown recluse bites on a regular basis.
Most spider bites start out looking the same - redness around the bite and swelling. The most common treatment is antibiotics and steroids. Unfortunately, current medical opinion is widely divided on whether they actually do any good to halt the progression - but they won't hurt.

The bull's eye rash is more common for tick bites - a classic sign of Lyme Disease. Antibiotics are needed.

Good luck. Remember that most bites aren't spider bites. Some mosquito and ant bites can also look very nasty.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those don't look like brown recluse bites (i've had 3). However, i do think those are boils...they can be caused by a bacterial infection or insect bites (maybe it's a different insect- but the location and the fact that there's two makes me think it's boils just from a bacterial infection - sweating, chaffing,/etc can cause them) You need to go to a doctor or minal medical clinic however because that is only my opinion and i can not give you a diagnosis
As far as boils go- they can be very painful (so can spider bites) just to warn you. You need to start putting hot compresses on them on for 20 minutes off for 15 all day or at least as often as you can. A warm soak in the bath tub is good to- wash with antibacterial soap. I would suggest heating up hot water then dipping a wash rag in there/draining it then putting it on you as a hot compress. It will help it come to a head so that it can be poped and drained. Sometimes they will drain on their own - but many times they need to be forced when they're ready or lanced by a medical professional. (it will be ready to pop when you see a white head surface like you would a pimple.) it can be painful when it gets ready to be drained, but once you drain it - the relief is instant!
IT might take a day or so to completly drain it so you will need to continute with hot compresses.....also when it starts to drain- put neosporin on it when it opens up to help reduce infection (right now it won't be absorbed so there's no point but when it opens up you will need to.) When it drains that's a sign it is healing because it is pushing that infection out. So that's good. Also- you need to take a sharpie (preferably black) and draw a circle around the area- this way you can tell if it's expanding or getting worse- be very careful- at any signs of changes you need to get to the doctor. They may want to put you on a prescription for Z-pac or some similar antibiotic to reduce infection odds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Those don't look like brown recluse bites (i've had 3). However, i do think those are boils...they can be caused by a bacterial infection or insect bites (maybe it's a different insect- but the location and the fact that there's two makes me think it's boils just from a bacterial infection - sweating, chaffing,/etc can cause them) You need to go to a doctor or minal medical clinic however because that is only my opinion and i can not give you a diagnosis
As far as boils go- they can be very painful (so can spider bites) just to warn you. You need to start putting hot compresses on them on for 20 minutes off for 15 all day or at least as often as you can. A warm soak in the bath tub is good to- wash with antibacterial soap. I would suggest heating up hot water then dipping a wash rag in there/draining it then putting it on you as a hot compress. It will help it come to a head so that it can be poped and drained. Sometimes they will drain on their own - but many times they need to be forced when they're ready or lanced by a medical professional. (it will be ready to pop when you see a white head surface like you would a pimple.) it can be painful when it gets ready to be drained, but once you drain it - the relief is instant!
IT might take a day or so to completly drain it so you will need to continute with hot compresses.....also when it starts to drain- put neosporin on it when it opens up to help reduce infection (right now it won't be absorbed so there's no point but when it opens up you will need to.) When it drains that's a sign it is healing because it is pushing that infection out. So that's good. Also- you need to take a sharpie (preferably black) and draw a circle around the area- this way you can tell if it's expanding or getting worse- be very careful- at any signs of changes you need to get to the doctor. They may want to put you on a prescription for Z-pac or some similar antibiotic to reduce infection odds.
Really? Thats interesting. I know boils hurt but what about itching??
I might give the Dr a buzz tomorrow and see what she says. Its kinda weird that the one on my thigh area keeps getting black looking gunk in it~wonder what thats about??

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Really? Thats interesting. I know boils hurt but what about itching??
I might give the Dr a buzz tomorrow and see what she says. Its kinda weird that the one on my thigh area keeps getting black looking gunk in it~wonder what thats about??
it should be the infection surfacing (those white blood cells are pushing it up to the top so that it can drain the infection out when it's ready- it's not uncommon to see green/yellow/off white with boils eithor) boils can definitely itch too! especially since that's on your thigh- a boil would be my first guess. i've had them there before - when that skin rubs together in that area as well as it being a good area for collecting sweat/ moisture- it is one of the easiest areas to get a boil (armpits and other areas are common as well) i would have the doctor at least take a look at it just to be on the safe side and be absolutely sure it's just a little boil instead of something more serious such as a spider bite (but i don't think it's a brown recluse- i've had 3 bites and none looked quite like that- but everybody is different though) Good luck hon- even if it's a spider bite- go ahead and put hot damp compresses on it because that will help too! (if you can do compresses at home and drain it youself when you're ready it will be MUCH MUCH less painfull than having to go to a doctor to have it lanced). Go ahead and draw a circle around it so you can make sure it's not spreading- if it spreads outside of the circle line, draw another one- keep that up until you get to the doctor so she can see if it's spreading/etc and what to do.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope it's nothing serious and the Dr can put your mind to rest.