So cruel...

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What in Gods name is wrong with people?
If you want a "Silent" pet then get a fish or a hermit crab!!!!!!
Don't get a cat because NEWS FLASH...they MEOW!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know one thing...if I ever play the lottery and hit it big....look out. I'll buy a giant farm and will have the biggest "cathouse" around! Then,every time I run across a special needs baby,they will have a loving home. I have got to stop cruising these petfinder sites.....it's so depressing!!!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. When I was looking for a companion for Seb, I checked petfinder, the OHS and craigslist almost daily. It was a depressing search. Now that we have Daph, no more looking. It just breaks my heart every time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Why would a vet do this procedure?
I don't have a clue! Maybe a health related procedure,but I'd say more likely because the owner requested it!
Especially with Siamese being such vocal creatures....I honestly doubt that she had health issues!

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard of some [unscrupulous] vets cutting dogs' vocal cords so they can't barks, so I assume it's something like that. at any rate, it's barbaric, and both the owner and the vet who did it should be taken out back and shot.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alice_curiouser

I've heard of some [unscrupulous] vets cutting dogs' vocal cords so they can't barks, so I assume it's something like that. at any rate, it's barbaric, and both the owner and the vet who did it should be taken out back and shot.
They should be taken in and "de-voiced" themselves! Poor sweet girl

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
De-meowed?? I've heard of debarking, but de-meowing?
I own a Siamese myself and even thought she has quite a yowl, I would never think of de-meowing! If you want a cat that doesn't meow, don't get a Siamese. Sheesh.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, this procedure is still done to dogs today, along with those collars that prevent dogs from being able to bark. If you cant handle the dog barking you shouldnt own one.

Dogs can be taught by training, but a cat really cant learn to "be quiet" on command, people should realize this and just accept the cat is going to meow or not own one.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

De-meowed?? I've heard of debarking, but de-meowing?
I own a Siamese myself and even thought she has quite a yowl, I would never think of de-meowing! If you want a cat that doesn't meow, don't get a Siamese. Sheesh.
like my Java - quietest cat i've ever owned. would've never expected it by looking at her, tho - she's not only a calico, but very oriental in appearance [long body, long face].

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

I know one thing...if I ever play the lottery and hit it big....look out. I'll buy a giant farm and will have the biggest "cathouse" around! Then,every time I run across a special needs baby,they will have a loving home. I have got to stop cruising these petfinder sites.....it's so depressing!!!
I have to limit my Petfinder time. It would be so easy to take in too many and become overwhelmed. (time and money and emotional energy) It's true, there are always abused kids and animals out there.