For those who foster on a regular basis

mlopus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you get supportive vet care from the agency you're dealing with? What about formula? Do you have to buy it out of your pocket?

I'm asking because right now I'm taking care of the 6 abandoned ones, and gave my number to the lady at Cats R Us if she ever needs help. To be honest the cost of formula and the vet bill has put us over $100 this week. I'm not sure I could do this often.

Any thoughts?

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It depends on the rescue. I have fostered for one rescue where I would bring the cat to the rescue and their vet would meet me there.

I'm about to start fostering for another rescue and you find a vet that will hopefully give you a discount for rescues. I checked with my own vet and he doesn't give discounts or work with rescues, so I'm vet shopping. I found a a place that has a low cost Spay/Neuter clinic and works with a few vets that gives discounts, so on Monday I will be discussing with them on how we can work this. This rescue pays for vet care, you pay for it up front and they reimburse you. But to keep costs down, they have a limit on what they can afford, anything other than a simple physical has to be in writing. The fosters do certain things - check for ringworm, ear mites, fleas, etc. The rescue purchases and administers the vaccines and tests the cats for FIV/FeLV before going into foster homes.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rescue covers all vets bills, but I do generally have to get permission to go, and there are limits on things, so I have covered things myself in the past. Whether I pay upfront or the rescue does, depends on whether I use my vet or theirs - I negotiated a discount with my own vet so certain things are the same price, as I didn't have a car and it made it easier alround.

scoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is variable depending on your rescue. Most have rules about this upfront. The group I foster for does not allow me to go to any vet at any time I want. I need to discuss with the rescue first. However, they do provide food, medical care like vaccinations, worming, spay/neuters, etc. Every rescue has different policies. You should understand what will be provided by a specific group before you start fostering, unless you have means to support the litters.

Most groups have "wish lists" to ask the public for donations. Ask that your group include KMR to the wish list. That may cut down with your expenses without having the rescue pay out of pocket for the expensive KMR.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mlopus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't technically have a rescue. Someone found these kittens on the side of the road. The vets around here don't seem too sympathetic.
I did manage to get a bottle of amoxicillian from the Pet Smart yesterday at no charge.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, well that changes things then. I would ring round rescues in your area and see if you can become a foster parent for one, or relinquish the cats into their care if it is going to be too costly without support. Good luck.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the rescue i have fostered for has its own vet so they pay for most things. even with some of the strays i fed in the past and had them neutered , they payed for the neutering and offered to help with the food.

ladybass0711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get reimbursed for all rescue expences. This includes, KMR, Vet Bills, Kitten food, and canned kitten food. The rescue I work with is awesome when it comes to taking care of there volunteers

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mlopus

Do you get supportive vet care from the agency you're dealing with? What about formula? Do you have to buy it out of your pocket?

I'm asking because right now I'm taking care of the 6 abandoned ones, and gave my number to the lady at Cats R Us if she ever needs help. To be honest the cost of formula and the vet bill has put us over $100 this week. I'm not sure I could do this often.

Any thoughts?
The rescue I foster for takes care of all vet bills, litter, kennels and food.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The HS I volunteer/foster for pays for food, litter, & vet care.

Take Jade for example. I take towels/blankets home for her & return them to wash. I got a small ziploc baggie of food(to get her on dry). I got canned a/d from them. I got the formula & bottle from them. I'm switching her to some of my canned food for my cats as the a/d is expensive & she doesn't need it all the time.

I bought the litter myself as they only have 50 lbs bags....I didn't need much & it doesn't cost much. She's using my toys.

When Jade needed to go to the vet, I had to run it by them to get the OK to go. They paid for the visit & the meds.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the rescue I foster for takes care of all vet care and will pay for food and litter as well, but I don't let her, I pay for that myself. I even watched some a-hole throw 2 6 week old kittens out of a car at Petco and told the rescue director and she paid for the vet care on them too.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I pay for everything out of my own pocket. The RSPCA will give me formula but I prefer to buy a better quality one myself. I work closely with a vet who tries to give me discounts wherever he can or charges me 'at cost'.