KatKwiz #31 - Cats versus Dogs

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Many of us have had both dogs and cats and know that they can both hear much higher frequencies than humans.

Can a dog or a cat hear the highest frequencies

1 point for being the first to supply the correct answer.

300 points for being the first to supply the correct answer and telling us how you found the answer on The Cat Site.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat can. I found the answer here. I did it by searching for the word `frequency' and then picking the first likely thread in the results - called `Cat Facts' by DixieDarlin.

And I'm glad I looked - cos I would have guessed dog!!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1)I clicked cat snips from the top of this page
2)clicked About hearing in cats

Cats do.
The answer is in the 3rd paragraph

"but cats are capable of hearing much higher frequencies than dogs and are only slightly inferior at the lower end of the frequency scale. "

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

A cat can. I found the answer here. I did it by searching for the word `frequency' and then picking the first likely thread in the results - called `Cat Facts' by DixieDarlin.

And I'm glad I looked - cos I would have guessed dog!!

Two of you ended up at the same place in different ways. Which is fine. But I do not see where it says that cats hear higher frequencies than dogs on this long list of cat facts. Our third entry takes us directly to a sentence that says that cats hear higher frequencies than dogs.

So will you please furnish the sentence in the cat facts posted by Dixie Darling? Thanks!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But of course!

Here's the bit from the thread...

Cats' hearing is much more sensitive than humans and dogs.
Cats' hearing stops at 65 khz (kilohertz); humans' hearing stops at 20 khz.

The logical conclusion from this is that if cats' hearing is more sensitive than humans and dogs, and cats hearing which stops at 65khz is of a higher frequency than humans (example given) then it is also higher than dogs (confirmed by first sentence).

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

But of course!

Here's the bit from the thread...

Cats' hearing is much more sensitive than humans and dogs.
Cats' hearing stops at 65 khz (kilohertz); humans' hearing stops at 20 khz.

The logical conclusion from this is that if cats' hearing is more sensitive than humans and dogs, and cats hearing which stops at 65khz is of a higher frequency than humans (example given) then it is also higher than dogs (confirmed by first sentence).
Cat's hearing being more sensitive does not prove that they can hear higher frequencies. You have shown that cat's hearing stops at 65 khz, but you would have to show that a dog's hearing stops at a lower frequency to prove this. That information does not exist on this page that I can see.

The method used by our third contestant, crazyforinfo, states that a cat can hear higher frequencies than a dog. If you can show me on this "cat facts" page that a cat can hear higher frequencies than a dog, I will put the points into your bank account, otherwise I must give the points to crazyforinfo.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

1)I clicked cat snips from the top of this page
2)clicked About hearing in cats

Cats do.
The answer is in the 3rd paragraph

"but cats are capable of hearing much higher frequencies than dogs and are only slightly inferior at the lower end of the frequency scale. "
This sentence gives the exact information asked for in the question and is the easiest and most direct way of finding the information.
You are the KatKwiz Whiz of the Day!
300 points for you.

BTW, I was also surprised at this information. I had always thought dogs could hear higher frequencies because they make dog whistles that when blown, cannot be heard by humans.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

This sentence gives the exact information asked for in the question and is the easiest and most direct way of finding the information.
You are the KatKwiz Whiz of the Day!
300 points for you.

BTW, I was also surprised at this information. I had always thought dogs could hear higher frequencies because they make dog whistles that when blown, cannot be heard by humans.
I agree I was surprised too

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cat's hearing being more sensitive does not prove that they can hear higher frequencies. You have shown that cat's hearing stops at 65 khz, but you would have to show that a dog's hearing stops at a lower frequency to prove this. That information does not exist on this page that I can see.

The method used by our third contestant, crazyforinfo, states that a cat can hear higher frequencies than a dog. If you can show me on this "cat facts" page that a cat can hear higher frequencies than a dog, I will put the points into your bank account, otherwise I must give the points to crazyforinfo.
Fair enough - although technically my answer was an example of inferential deduction, I see your point - I didn't use the exact word `frequency'. I also went to bed because I couldn't stay up any longer and wait for your answer - it was nearly midnight here!

So well done to you crazyforinfo!!
And to all cats too - who knew they could hear higher than dogs??

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Just because the cat can hear it, doesn't mean he will respond.