TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › KatKwiz #31 - Cats versus Dogs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KatKwiz #31 - Cats versus Dogs

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 


Many of us have had both dogs and cats and know that they can both hear much higher frequencies than humans.

Can a dog or a cat hear the highest frequencies

1 point for being the first to supply the correct answer.

300 points for being the first to supply the correct answer and telling us how you found the answer on The Cat Site.
post #2 of 12
A cat can. I found the answer here. I did it by searching for the word `frequency' and then picking the first likely thread in the results - called `Cat Facts' by DixieDarlin.

And I'm glad I looked - cos I would have guessed dog!!

post #3 of 12
Cats.

"Cats' hearing is much more sensitive than humans and dogs.
Cats' hearing stops at 65 khz (kilohertz); humans' hearing stops at 20 khz. "

Click search and enter "cat dog hear high"
Click this link: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...+dog+hear+high

Does that count?
post #4 of 12
1)I clicked cat snips from the top of this page
2)clicked About hearing in cats

Cats do.
The answer is in the 3rd paragraph

"but cats are capable of hearing much higher frequencies than dogs and are only slightly inferior at the lower end of the frequency scale. "
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
A cat can. I found the answer here. I did it by searching for the word `frequency' and then picking the first likely thread in the results - called `Cat Facts' by DixieDarlin.

And I'm glad I looked - cos I would have guessed dog!!

Two of you ended up at the same place in different ways. Which is fine. But I do not see where it says that cats hear higher frequencies than dogs on this long list of cat facts. Our third entry takes us directly to a sentence that says that cats hear higher frequencies than dogs.

So will you please furnish the sentence in the cat facts posted by Dixie Darling? Thanks!
post #6 of 12
But of course!

Here's the bit from the thread...

Cats' hearing is much more sensitive than humans and dogs.
Cats' hearing stops at 65 khz (kilohertz); humans' hearing stops at 20 khz.


The logical conclusion from this is that if cats' hearing is more sensitive than humans and dogs, and cats hearing which stops at 65khz is of a higher frequency than humans (example given) then it is also higher than dogs (confirmed by first sentence).
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
But of course!

Here's the bit from the thread...

Cats' hearing is much more sensitive than humans and dogs.
Cats' hearing stops at 65 khz (kilohertz); humans' hearing stops at 20 khz.

The logical conclusion from this is that if cats' hearing is more sensitive than humans and dogs, and cats hearing which stops at 65khz is of a higher frequency than humans (example given) then it is also higher than dogs (confirmed by first sentence).
Cat's hearing being more sensitive does not prove that they can hear higher frequencies. You have shown that cat's hearing stops at 65 khz, but you would have to show that a dog's hearing stops at a lower frequency to prove this. That information does not exist on this page that I can see.

The method used by our third contestant, crazyforinfo, states that a cat can hear higher frequencies than a dog. If you can show me on this "cat facts" page that a cat can hear higher frequencies than a dog, I will put the points into your bank account, otherwise I must give the points to crazyforinfo.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo View Post
1)I clicked cat snips from the top of this page
2)clicked About hearing in cats

Cats do.
The answer is in the 3rd paragraph

"but cats are capable of hearing much higher frequencies than dogs and are only slightly inferior at the lower end of the frequency scale. "
This sentence gives the exact information asked for in the question and is the easiest and most direct way of finding the information.
You are the KatKwiz Whiz of the Day! 300 points for you.

BTW, I was also surprised at this information. I had always thought dogs could hear higher frequencies because they make dog whistles that when blown, cannot be heard by humans.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
This sentence gives the exact information asked for in the question and is the easiest and most direct way of finding the information.
You are the KatKwiz Whiz of the Day! 300 points for you.

BTW, I was also surprised at this information. I had always thought dogs could hear higher frequencies because they make dog whistles that when blown, cannot be heard by humans.
I agree I was surprised too
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
Cat's hearing being more sensitive does not prove that they can hear higher frequencies. You have shown that cat's hearing stops at 65 khz, but you would have to show that a dog's hearing stops at a lower frequency to prove this. That information does not exist on this page that I can see.

The method used by our third contestant, crazyforinfo, states that a cat can hear higher frequencies than a dog. If you can show me on this "cat facts" page that a cat can hear higher frequencies than a dog, I will put the points into your bank account, otherwise I must give the points to crazyforinfo.
Fair enough - although technically my answer was an example of inferential deduction, I see your point - I didn't use the exact word `frequency'. I also went to bed because I couldn't stay up any longer and wait for your answer - it was nearly midnight here!

So well done to you crazyforinfo!! And to all cats too - who knew they could hear higher than dogs??
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
BTW, I was also surprised at this information. I had always thought dogs could hear higher frequencies because they make dog whistles that when blown, cannot be heard by humans.
Just because the cat can hear it, doesn't mean he will respond.
post #12 of 12
So true!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › KatKwiz #31 - Cats versus Dogs