Challenge: Cartoons

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week we brought photos back to life using the out of bounds method, this week we are going to go the opposite way and put them on paper using a cartoon method.

There is a tutorial here showing you the basics - have fun and make a cartoon 'background' too. They don't have to be sig sized, but post them small enough that they 'fit' in the screen (no more than 600px wide)

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The one thing I hate about a lot of these tutorials, is that they don't make it clear which of the two layers to duplicate, and where to put the white layer et et. It's like you have to be a mindreader or something. They say things like now you create a new duplicate layer and do this or that to it. Then they say add a white layer.....where? on top??? on the bottom??? where??? Because if you put it on top, you've lost the entire image. Then there's more layers and duplicate layers to be added, from which layer? I don't know.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was a fun but difficult tutorial lol! Thanks Icklemiss21 - Ive never done anything like this!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think so Hope, I think ignorance was what helped me. I just slammed all the layers on top of each other because it never occured to me to do anything else

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I figured out how to do it. I have a tendancy to read it too fast, and not understand what I'm reading, due to my ADD. However, I slowed down, and followed the instructions and saw that they made perfect sense. Here is my cartoon.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope - what do you prefer? This or the Bringing Photos Back to Life one? You really got to grips with the last one...just wondering what you think of this?

I think its was quite difficult..especially when it came to multiplying layers and painting....I had different colour paint from different layers affecting other layers lol. Managed to suss it out in the end. But no more than 3 or 4 painted layers or I would have gone mad lol. I see both you and Anakat have done more than 4 coloured layers so

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, thank you, thank you
dh and I have so many ideas for cartoons but can't draw well enough to make it feasible to bother bringing them to life.

I've long suggested to him that there had to be software somewhere or a way for those who don't draw, to create cartoons. My dh is a wonderful photographer, and I'm getting better and better...this method will work for us. I can't wait to now get going with our own cartoon strip and a blog or website for them. YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by minxie

Hope - what do you prefer? This or the Bringing Photos Back to Life one? You really got to grips with the last one...just wondering what you think of this?

I think its was quite difficult..especially when it came to multiplying layers and painting....I had different colour paint from different layers affecting other layers lol. Managed to suss it out in the end. But no more than 3 or 4 painted layers or I would have gone mad lol. I see both you and Anakat have done more than 4 coloured layers so
I had to slow down a bit to understand how to make these cartoons, but now that I've got it, I think they're actually easier to make than the Pop Out images. I actually loved colouring books as a child, and colouring these in, is so much like playing with a colouring book. I actually prefer the look of these, before you ad the dots, though. However I think this is a lot of fun.

The Pop Outs look cooler to me, though. I love that whole 3D effect, but I think they're a bit harder to do.