Here's my attempt
Here's a summary of what I did
1) Auto levels & Auto contrast to the original picture
2) cut Wickett ("W") out with feather at 5px
3) duplicate the copy 4 times. 2 layers were put on colour dodge...1 at 100% and 1 at 65%
4) Any patches of 'white flash' still showing, I tried to select these and use hue/saturation and brightness/contrast to blend them in..But for me, it didnt work well. So what I did, I cut out an area of fur on the 'non flashed' part of the face, rotated it horizontally and put that over the flashed bits.
5) I used smudge tool to blend these parts in. Smudge tool also run over the flahed 'white beard' parts too to blur them out a bit.
6) edited brightness/contrast to darken W as much a possible but still so you could see his features
7) Once happy with the colour, I used the eraser tool to tidy up the edges.
8) Then used smudge tool with the stipple brush to blend W's coat and the edges too. 14px for the coat and 7px for the edges. This, I discovered today, is the best brush for me to replace fur. I've been struggling with fur replacing for a while now but this brush seemed to make it a bit easier.
9) I cut out W's eyes and put them in new layers. Magic wand selected the coloured areas of the eyes and then on hue/saturation>colourise, opted for an apple green. I then pasted these back onto the main layer I was working on.
10) I added circle eclipse shapes in a new layer for the pupils and gaussian blurred them out. I painted the whites speck of light in and gaussian blurred them out.
11) The background was a green marble background and I used the paint daub facility on filter to give a different effect to it. I added W on it, re-sized and positioned him, tidied up any edges with a tiny eraser and added a few more bits of fur to blend in the edges using the smudge tool as described above.
12) Then added the text.
13) Then played around with the brightness/contrast of the finished product to what looked best to my eye.
I think thats all the steps I took lol. A lot of it is trial and error. Anakat was right....the instructions bit is harder that the actual sig lol.