jury summons

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got one today and I was surprised. I've never gotten a summons before. Have any of you ever gotten a summons before?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did it in the UK years and years ago. It was really interesting and I was part of two cases - a rape and a burglary. It gave me a great insight into how haphazard the jury system is.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am counted the days before I get one again. I have gone 4 times already. Never been picked. The first I was so scared! I hate the city & being by myself down there. I was let out at 2:30 the first time. The 3rd time I was there until 7pm. It was HUGE case and I was the last group that would have been seen. Since it was so late and my group still wouldn't make up the jury they let us go. The last case was horrible! The guy was accused of molesting children. I forgot why I wasn't picked but I was so happy. Good luck.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one at the end of feb for a case in march. I was number 458 and ended up not having to go because they only need 1-300 to report. Before that I had never received one.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did Jury Duty last year. It was actually very educational. I served on one trial but it was two cases. Since they both happened at the same time they decided to do them both at the same time but separate sentences. I think it's a wonderful community service and if you have a chance embrace it fully. You will most definitely learn something.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did back in December of 2004. I had been sick with a cold but was feeling better. But after lunch I asked to be let go because I was getting sick again.

Ran into my high school US History teacher!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I did it in the UK years and years ago. It was really interesting and I was part of two cases - a rape and a burglary. It gave me a great insight into how haphazard the jury system is.
Me too. Though I had shoplifting, driving uninsured/unlicenced and DUI.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, a few times but was only chosen for one trial but then removed cuz there were too many people for that jury. It can be very interesting tho, it can also be very boring while waiting to see if your chosen to sit in on a trial and you cannot leave until they tell you so the boredom is the worst.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

Oh yes, a few times but was only chosen for one trial but then removed cuz there were too many people for that jury. It can be very interesting tho, it can also be very boring while waiting to see if your chosen to sit in on a trial and you cannot leave until they tell you so the boredom is the worst.
Ya know I was never bored. I always talked to my "neighbors".. lol. Of course that meant I didn't hear much of what the judge said at times. It was nice meeting new people and reconnecting with a few familiar faces as well.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was always being called but couldn't do it because of school/work. Last time I called to tell them I would love to but could not, the clerk asked me what I was doing over winter break from school. Told her just working - she told me I could do jury duty then. Sure enough, end of November I get a summons for winter break

This was the first time I had reported and I was chosen for an insurance case. It is fascinating! The waiting to be chosen is deathly boring so bring a book and coffee.

Actually being a juror can be boring too, but they frown upon reading while seated in the jury box
I found myself nodding off a couple of times! Any time the lawyers want to argue about some point, the jury is dismissed, then called back in. Up, down, in and out. The whole process lasted 5 days.

When the trial was over, the judge and both attorneys came into the juror room to talk with us and answer any questions we had about the case. A week later, I received a thank you letter from the judge for serving. This December I will probably get another summons - will be two years since.

My jury peers were quite the eclectic mix. Still, I am glad I did it. Someday it could be me in the defendant's chair. YIKES!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the summons last year. The farthest I got was into the courtroom, but I didn't get picked. the sad thing too I was kind of hoping I would so that I could get extra time off work!
The case sounded far more interesting.

oregon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH yeah. Went to jury duty a few years back. Actually got called again. Supposed to go this 03may07. But I 'll call them & ask them if it possible to reschedule.
It can be an interesting experience. At the sametime (and possibly becouse of my upbringing), I find the idea of sitting in judgment of someone kinda of uncomfortable.
It was also very boring. As often they have a large pool of jurors and in our case we waited in one big room until called.
If you go bring a book.
If you want to get out it, Just tell them your psychic power have already verified their guilt.
Good luck!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oregon

If you want to get out it, Just tell them your psychic power have already verified their guilt.
Good luck!
We should start a thread on excuses heard to get out of jury duty.
Honestly though, I don't know why so many people avoid it. It can be boring, but so are a lot of things. Some people simply cannot lose wages or get daycare, that I understand. But for those who can, they should serve IMO.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to fill the app in February and I am little upset because I do not report until the end of June. My child is out of school and I have no babysitter. On the paper it said they will not excuse you for no childcare so what do I do? Bring my child with me or leave her home alone?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to be summoned for Jury duty. My mom has been called twice. It always seems to me that the people who don't want to go get summoned and those of us that do, don't. I think it is part of everyboby's civic duty to be called for jury duty. (although it is boring waiting for your name to be called - and uncomfortable - lousy chairs)

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

I had to fill the app in February and I am little upset because I do not report until the end of June. My child is out of school and I have no babysitter. On the paper it said they will not excuse you for no childcare so what do I do? Bring my child with me or leave her home alone?
YEP! No Childcare was also not an excuse here.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been summoned once before but the day before I was supposed to go to the court house, they called and said that the case had been resolved.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yea, if you do want to get out of it, a guy I use to know would do this. Apparently he got called 2-3 times for Jury Duty (he was only 25 so maybe that was an exaggeration on his part??). anyhoo he said that he would stop showering and shaving for 3 days before the appointed day. Then he would go ni dressed in hobo type clothes and be smelly and all. Never got picked once.