Swollen rear and the runs

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok my foster kittens were wormed last week. They expelled alot of them. So the girl who seems to have had the worst case is having alot of problems. She pooped out about 3 worms that were 6 inches.
And several smaller ones. Shes still pooing them out. All the other kittens are having no problem at all. But Selena along with having the worms she also has the runs so badly. But it just globs up on her rear and blocks up the whole. Skye (mom) doesnt clean any of the kittens up anymore. So I take her out once an hour and clean up her rear. But its now sooo swollen and nasty looking. The rescue gave me Amoxicilin (sp?) to give to her once a day. But I was wondering if there was something else I could do for her. Shes having such a hard time. And I feel awful for her. She just cries so loudly when I clean it. It hurts her very badly. I really dont know what to do to help her with the pain. Could I put neosporin or something on it? Im currently holding warm clothe on it for about 3 minutes after I finnish cleaning of her rear. I need advice on what to do with her.

mlopus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that you can use a dab of Preperation H or even desitin (the diaper rash cream).

The vet today told me I can give them drops of immodium if they get diarreah. You might want to check with your vet.
HTH.

ladybass0711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to take this kitten into the vet. If they are haveing diahreah this bad, they will dehydrate in no time, and you will loose them. So as soon as you can take them into the vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladybass0711

You need to take this kitten into the vet. If they are haveing diahreah this bad, they will dehydrate in no time, and you will loose them. So as soon as you can take them into the vet!
Its not all the kittens. Just the one and shes not dehydrated. She has been seen by the vet. They said it was because of the worming and that it would go away when all the worms were out. We have fluids incase we need them for any of the cats. They gave it to us for mom cat. Because she was very dehydrated off and on the first week she was here. But Selena isnt dehydrated.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Her little bum is more then likely sore from all the poo and wiping. You can use diaper rash cream to help... I've used it before in foster kittens and it seems to work pretty well.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

Her little bum is more then likely sore from all the poo and wiping. You can use diaper rash cream to help... I've used it before in foster kittens and it seems to work pretty well.
Ditto this, it worked very well for us with our kitty a white back.

scoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The best way to treat this problem is to treat the underlying cause of the diarrhea. She will need another deworming (if this was her first). A stool sample can also look for other parasites that may need to be treated. Sometimes probiotics will also help restore the good bacteria. I have used probiotics in my foster kittens before with some luck.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by scoomoo

The best way to treat this problem is to treat the underlying cause of the diarrhea. She will need another deworming (if this was her first). A stool sample can also look for other parasites that may need to be treated. Sometimes probiotics will also help restore the good bacteria. I have used probiotics in my foster kittens before with some luck.
Thanks. The vet did give us some stronger dewormer. I cant remember the name of it though and shes on antibiotics because her little bum was infected. She started bleeding and oozing. YUK! But she seems like shes doing much better. Her little behind is much less swollen. Though she does still have the runs. Its not as bad though. So hopefully she'll be ok. Shes acting like a normal healthy bouncy kitten.

lil'misskisses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh i'm so pleased things are going well.
Sounds like you have turned a corner with this precious little girl.

Emma x x

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of food is she eating? Sometimes a certain brand can cause diarreah. Maybe you could try a diffrent brand?

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

What kind of food is she eating? Sometimes a certain brand can cause diarreah. Maybe you could try a diffrent brand?
She's eating Science Diet canned and dry kitten food. Its what the rescue gives me.