why do they insist on using the CORNER of the litter box?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stoli and Luxor never use the middle of the litter box. they always pee and poop in the corners of the box which makes it nearly impossible to scoop up in one clump.....AND they dig all the way down to the bottom of the box which makes it even harder to scoop....

any suggestions? sympathy?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine like to pee right along the very front of the box, so that one place turns into a giant clump which is impossible to pick up with one scoop
cats, I think they do things just to make our lives difficult

you could try the booda dome things, they are round and don't have corners!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's an idea...i'll inform my hubby.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hey, who uses the booda dome? do you have it with steps or without? does it actually keep odors under control?

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Obviously they know how to make things difficult for you, and like to make you suffer. Perhaps they're just spiteful? Mine are generally really good with the whole litterbox thing, but on occasion one (haven't figured out WHO yet) will make a very large pile right in the centre of the litterbox and not cover it. I can smell it from the opposite side of the apartment.
Needless to say I'm a bit afraid to have people over, in case someone decides to play a funny little trick on me. Cats and litterboxes: always a good time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't go right in the center because they don't want to step in it. Also, watch how your cat squats, middle of the box with the butt to one end/corner. Easiest way for them to fit.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's definitely how they do it...squat in the center, poop and pee in the corner.......

any booda dome users?

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I know this is totally off topic from this thread, but Renovia, weren't you having issues with one of your babies coughing when they'd drink? Did that ever get solved?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I would love it if they would just pee and poop in the corners. Lucy likes to pee up over the sides. I think the only to help is to have a bigger box so they don't feel squished.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

Sorry, I know this is totally off topic from this thread, but Renovia, weren't you having issues with one of your babies coughing when they'd drink? Did that ever get solved?
yes luxor had a blood test a while back that showed a raised allergen level. we ruled out basically any type of worm/bacteria so we put him on a steroid/and anti-imflammitory for a little bit. he's not itching much anymore and the coughing has stopped.

I bought new litter boxes today as i needed to replace some old ones but i couldn't find any larger than the size i already had.....i even looked at other tupperware but it just seemed ginormous

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jaffa has one particular corner of the box that he likes to use and he'll sometimes go there twice so that there's one huge pee clump stuck to the sides. I've just resigned myself to the fact that on one of the 2 daily scoops I need to take the bottle of litter tray cleaner and some extra kitchen towel with me so that I can tip the clean litter out of the way and clean the side of the box.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

Jaffa has one particular corner of the box that he likes to use and he'll sometimes go there twice so that there's one huge pee clump stuck to the sides. I've just resigned myself to the fact that on one of the 2 daily scoops I need to take the bottle of litter tray cleaner and some extra kitchen towel with me so that I can tip the clean litter out of the way and clean the side of the box.
sigh...this is the story of my life too...Stan likes one particular corner in each box -we have three- where he digs all the way to the bottom, pees on the box itself (and sometimes his leg) creating a cement/pee mixture that is impossible to get out in one scoop. I have to get out the cleaner and TP to get it all up. My favorite is when he gets pee on his (long haired) leg and then shakes wet gooey litter all over the box (or wall). I can't wait until I can get all the boxes moved over to corn. It doesn't do that cement thing the way the clay does.

Bella on the other hand, leaves me nice round little pee balls. I'm so proud of her
, but she won't use the corn

We did have a round box at one time, but that didn't help, it just created a "crescent" of pee mud.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
One thing I have found that helps is to use a gardening trowel and come from the side to loosen it from the box. I cover it good before I use the trowel. I end up with clumps and not pebble size stuff that doesn't scoop easily.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

My Juno does that. I've had the lid off and she just came in the box, turned around and peed in the corner. She didn't even care that I was there. My Sweetie is the opposite. She pees in the middle. Anyway, someone on a thread said she uses a little cooking oil on the corners, it makes it easier to clean. I tried it and it does work. I didn't know that litter tray cleaner is available, I'll have to look for it at Petsmart.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Mine like to pee right along the very front of the box, so that one place turns into a giant clump which is impossible to pick up with one scoop
cats, I think they do things just to make our lives difficult

you could try the booda dome things, they are round and don't have corners!
Originally Posted by Renovia

hey, who uses the booda dome? do you have it with steps or without? does it actually keep odors under control?
I have the Booda dome with steps and love it! It keeps 90% of the litter in the box or on the steps and not on my floor. It would probably do more but Roxie will dig dig dig for ever!!! It has these carbon filters that go in a special spot on the lid which help curb the odor. I find it much better than any other litter box, but that's just my opinion!!

As for it not having corners that's not necessarily true. It still has the two areas where it curves and it is just like a corner! Of course, that is Roxie's favorite place to piddle so when it comes time to scoop it can make things a little difficult. But still, I have no complaints. Hope that helps some!!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All three of mine pee in the corners and poop in the middle. It's weird how they behave. I have to watch Benson though, cause he does this tripod stand that tips the box over at times. LOL

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

My Juno does that. I've had the lid off and she just came in the box, turned around and peed in the corner. She didn't even care that I was there. My Sweetie is the opposite. She pees in the middle. Anyway, someone on a thread said she uses a little cooking oil on the corners, it makes it easier to clean. I tried it and it does work. I didn't know that litter tray cleaner is available, I'll have to look for it at Petsmart.
I'd never have thought of the oil trick - I'll have to try that!

I use a litter tray cleaner that is disinfectant, cleaner and deoderant in one and comes in a trigger spray bottle so I just scoop up what I can (I can usually get under the clump and scrape most of it off the side) then tilt the tray so that the litter falls away from the corner, then spray the corner and wipe with a paper towel. Cleans it nicely
But I'd still rather he didn't do it there! Funny thing is if he comes to use the box when I'm cleaning it (without the hood) he doesn't go anywhere near the corner - he uses the middle.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I spray Pam(or similar) in the corners & bottoms of my litterboxes. Makes cleaning it easier, not so much about scooping but I do think it helps.

I don't know what it is about peeing int he corners. As if that wasn't bad enough, Damita just goes where everyone else has so I end up with 3 cats worth of pee in one corner.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

Stoli and Luxor never use the middle of the litter box. they always pee and poop in the corners of the box which makes it nearly impossible to scoop up in one clump.....AND they dig all the way down to the bottom of the box which makes it even harder to scoop....

any suggestions? sympathy?
I have no suggestions whatsoever but it is nice to know that Alley is not the only cat in the world that does that. It seems like she makes an extra effort to go right in the very corner so you do have my sympathy, I know exactly what a pain it is to scoop from the corner. On the postive side, since both of my cats use the same box, I know who is doing what so I can tell if either of them has any special problems.