I may be getting another cat...questions

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I am talking with someone about a kitten that needs a home. He is solid black(
). He is 6-8 mths old and I don't know yet if he is neutered or not. I am waiting on an answer to that. They say he is great with other cats and is great with kids. Big pluses already. Now my questions are this...because he is 6-8 mths old do you think transitioning him in the home with Ping will be to hard? Ping has never been around other cats. Also because there is a chance he may not be neutered how likely is it that he will spray my house up before I can get him neutered (about a mth)? I think thats all the questions at the moment.

I already have a large kennel set up in my youngest sons room for quarentine and transitioning the 2 together. Plus an extra litter box I can put in there. I will need to pick up some extra dishes. Anything else I should need or be aware of?

Now cross your fingers that the hubby says yes 2 cat number 2.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Ok I am talking with someone about a kitten that needs a home. He is solid black(
). He is 6-8 mths old and I don't know yet if he is neutered or not. I am waiting on an answer to that. They say he is great with other cats and is great with kids. Big pluses already. Now my questions are this...because he is 6-8 mths old do you think transitioning him in the home with Ping will be to hard? Ping has never been around other cats. Also because there is a chance he may not be neutered how likely is it that he will spray my house up before I can get him neutered (about a mth)? I think thats all the questions at the moment.

I already have a large kennel set up in my youngest sons room for quarentine and transitioning the 2 together. Plus an extra litter box I can put in there. I will need to pick up some extra dishes. Anything else I should need or be aware of?

Now cross your fingers that the hubby says yes 2 cat number 2.
Persi was just 9 months old when Alley came to live with him. For his part, the transition was extremely easy. He wanted a new friend. Alley, the older cat (about 3) did not want anything to do with him. But as you can see below, they are now best of buddies. This took about two weeks. So, in my case, it was the younger cat that was ready to be friends right away, even though he was the resident cat. So, I think based on my experience that a 6-8 month old kitten should do better than an older cat, set in their ways.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until you find out if he's neutered or not, keep him separated and confined. He shouldn't spray at that age. You also need to find out if he's got all his shots before introducing the 2.

Follow the steps in introducing cats (in the other threads). Take it slow - don't expect them to just be buddies in a few days...it might take a month or so. Be sure to clip all nails (both cats) when introducing them face to face. And expect hissing and growling for awhile.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your husband! The little guy sounds like a great kitty. Introducing new guys is always an art form but he's young and that tends to make it easier.

If he's 6-8 months he's just getting to the age to neuter. Many vets encourage you to wait even a bit later. I don't suppose one month will be a problem. Nothing is certain but he probably won't begin spraying for a little bit longer. If you notice his urine beginning to smell sharp or strong make an appointment!

You might want to add Feliway to your arsenal to smooth introductions but otherwise you sound ready to go!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No reason to wait - if the kitten is 6 months old he SHOULD be neutered ASAP. Sometimes you create more fighting with unneutered cats.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

If he's 6-8 months he's just getting to the age to neuter. Many vets encourage you to wait even a bit later.
Actually the earlier the better, they can be done from 8 weeks old.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

No reason to wait - if the kitten is 6 months old he SHOULD be neutered ASAP. Sometimes you create more fighting with unneutered cats.
I agree. It's not possible for me to neuter before 6 months as early neutering is rare in the UK, so Sonic isn't done yet (he's 6 months old today, and I will book his appointment for next week) and over the last month he's been getting increasingly dominant and aggressive with Radar and I've been having to separate them. If I left it any longer I could end up with a real problem. If I could have gotten it done sooner, I would have done so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Actually the earlier the better, they can be done from 8 weeks old.
Actually in my area you can not find a vet that would do it earlier than 6mths. And when Ping was younger and I was making the calls to get him done I called all the surrounding counties I could drive to within reason and none of them would do it before 6mths and one not before 9mths.

As for the rest me and hubby talked about it and right now would not be the greatest time add another kitty to the house. In June I have to make a 6 hour drive to take my son to one of doctors. Also in August we are making a trip to VA for a week (Ping will be coming with us). So right now is not the greatest time for me to go looking for a kitty.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
husbands sure have a way of taking the wind out of our sails don't they? I guess it's true that they "think" and we "feel"
but you're wise to listen to reason.
there will be kitties available when things slow down for you.