Lily would LOVE to be a snuggler!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My poor Lily. She's such a shy girl but has the sweetest, friendliest soul. If either of us is on the bed she's a complete lover. Downstairs, she's more shy. Particularly when I'm home on my own she turns into such a snuggly girl. I'm downstairs (studying... ahem...
), and she keeps coming up and gently rubbing against my legs. She'll occasionally mew at me, so I keep giving her pats as she walks by and she LOVES it. She'll look up at my lap as well - she WANTS to snuggle down and cuddle but is just so scared.

I picked her up and put her in my lap, and she actually stayed while I patted her, and she even lay down and snuggled briefly, but then heard a noise outside and ran off again.

If she could lose some of her shyness I swear she would never leave us alone, she would just be in our laps 24/7!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, I'll bet she comes around!

This was funny to read because my Lily is the exact same way (maybe more of a "burrower"). She only stays for a short time, but is snuggling longer and longer these days.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww....she sound adorable! Can I have her?

Have you ever thought about using Feliway in your house? I have seen it used around naturally nervous cats. Or, you can look up Bach's Essence to add to her water if you want.

Either way, you're lucky I don't live near you. If I did, I might catnap her! When I go looking for a cat, I may need to look for a Lily substitute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes we did use Feliway for a while and it REALLY brought her out of her shell. she went from hiding all the time, to actually being sociable, and sleeping in open areas.

How she is now is such an improvement I didn't really think about continuing to use it, but maybe I should use it again for a while and see what happens? We'll definitely plug them back in when the baby arrives!

Oh and no - you can't have her
Not only would Smudge miss her best friend, but my shy girl is very special to me, I absolutely adore her

Give me your address though, and I'll send you our naughty Stumpy girl

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh Lily.
How long have you had her for? I bet she's just taking her time getting used to you, and in a while you'll be wondering how to get the little darling un-stuck from your lap!

I think we should set up Lily and Nigel. Nigel is the biggest snuggler ever, but he's so skiddish about it. I can't really go up to him and initiate any contact or else he'll freak out. But when he comes to me (with the sweetest expression on his face) I can pet him for hours and he'll be positively blissful. I mean he'll roll around in pure pleasure from just a little pet.

Just lately I've been getting him to come up closer to my face, which used to make him really uneasy. I read (probably here) that blinking at cats is a sign of not being threatening, so whenever Nigel gets near me I'll blink really deliberately, and it seems to be making a difference in his attitude. (You'd think that he would have put it together, after living with me for many months that I'm not going to do anything nasty to him, but I guess it just took a few good blinks). Maybe you could give that a try with Lily?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've had Miss Lily for 9 months now (which means she must be 1 now - wow!!). She also initiates the snuggles, and she's very demanding when she wants snuggles

If she's comfy and asleep somewhere I can quietly approach her and start patting her and she'll roll over and start purring - that's fairly new, she always used to run away when I approached her and tried to pat her while she was sleeping.

I think as she gets older, she'll improve more.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We've had Miss Lily for 9 months now (which means she must be 1 now - wow!!). She also initiates the snuggles, and she's very demanding when she wants snuggles

If she's comfy and asleep somewhere I can quietly approach her and start patting her and she'll roll over and start purring - that's fairly new, she always used to run away when I approached her and tried to pat her while she was sleeping.

I think as she gets older, she'll improve more.
Scratch is a lot like Lilly. We found that if we work on his terms he's a much happier boy.

My Mom said that she had a nervous cat for a very long time and then one day the kitty just made it's mind up that everything was okay and became a lap cat.

It may just take some time.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Scratch is a lot like Lilly. We found that if we work on his terms he's a much happier boy.

My Mom said that she had a nervous cat for a very long time and then one day the kitty just made it's mind up that everything was okay and became a lap cat.

It may just take some time.
Yah I don't expect her to change anytime soon. She's happy, and she definitely shows affection and love, and she can be such a silly girl as well
I just love the moments when she goes a bit further out of her shell!